• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statues

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I was mentioning the other day how US sports are so much better at marketing and celebrating their heritage and here's another example of it - baseball statues.

So what statues would you love to see at the new ground to celebrate our history?

Top of my list would be Benji at Bury.

Ooh Andy Ansah crosses the ball in, Benji takes a touch with his back to goal, swivels and fires home.

Benji might not be the most obvious choice for a statue as an individual (although he had a fantastic Southend career joining us in the 4th division and guiding us to two promotions and our highest ever finish) but that moment is. I think this moment where he's about to shoot needs to be deserved in posterity. For me it is the single most important moment in the club's history and is absolutely central to the club's identity.

Can't find any photos of it on t'internet, but green for anyone who can post one up. here's the video.

I'd Keggy Keegle style love it, if we had a statue of that at the new Stadium.

just one of drewe broughtons massive sweatband!
seriously tho, a sid broomfield one would be fitting at the new ground, if we ever get there.

just one of drewe broughtons massive sweatband!
seriously tho, a sid broomfield one would be fitting at the new ground, if we ever get there.

If we build stables we could name them after Drewe.

Sid Broomfield would probably be my second choice of statue.

We could have an avenue of statues.

If we build stables we could name them after Drewe.

Sid Broomfield would probably be my second choice of statue.

We could have an avenue of statues.

maybe not an avenue of statues but would definitely like to see some kind of museum built into fossetts, paying homage to our history and the hall etc,

and yeah, benji, :)

I was going to suggest Neville Southall but they'd have to chip away at Gibraltar to reach the correct scale.

So Billy Best for me.

Dunno about statues at Fossetts avenue, but we've got some on the pitch.
What happens when we have a throw in----everyone just stands marked up !

Tilly/Brush can we have some movement please at set pieces it's called running off the ball !

Top of my list would be Benji at Bury.

Ooh Andy Ansah crosses the ball in, Benji takes a touch with his back to goal, swivels and fires home.

Benji might not be the most obvious choice for a statue as an individual (although he had a fantastic Southend career joining us in the 4th division and guiding us to two promotions and our highest ever finish) but that moment is. I think this moment where he's about to shoot needs to be deserved in posterity. For me it is the single most important moment in the club's history and is absolutely central to the club's identity.

Can't find any photos of it on t'internet, but green for anyone who can post one up. here's the video.

I'd Keggy Keegle style love it, if we had a statue of that at the new Stadium.

I have been watching the blues since 1947. This moment also stands out for me alongside Duncan Jupp's goal at Cardiff and Fredy Eastwood's against Manchester United. I am pleased to say that I witnessed all 3 events.

Above all the incident that really stands out for me did not, I am afraid, result in a goal for us, and thus wouldn't qualify for a statue. It was Bert Trautman's miraculous save from Roy Hollis in the mud that was Roots Hall in its opening season.

Back