• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Now manager of League One side Southend, Phil Brown was once thought of as one of those up and coming English managers who might one day take the helm of their national side.
Just like him emerging tanned for a third tier game against Rochdale in mid-January, Brown's self-regard has never been in doubt.
In his column for the Sunday Independent, Stephen Hunt tells a story which confirms what many would have suspected about Brown. Hunt played under Brown at Hull during the 2009/10 Premier League season.
The Waterford man says that Brown was probably the best coach he's played for from a tactical

perspective and also a manager who got the best out of him. Though he also adds that Brown often did things which made many players wonder 'what are you doing?'
At half-time during a game against Wolves during that season at Hull, Brown entered the dressing room and made a statement which had many, including Hunt and Kevin Kilbane, suppressing a compulsion to laugh out loud.
I remember at Wolves once and he came in at half-time furious with us. "How can I manage England with you lot?" he said. It was no joke to him. He said it in the heat of battle, but most of us had to stifle the laughter. I was sitting next to Kevin Kilbane, who was tapping my leg with his leg trying to make me laugh out loud.
But the bottom line is he was a good coach, and he believed in himself and, like a player who wants to play for his country, he wanted to manage England. He saw nothing wrong in setting out his ambitions, even if we didn't always have the same belief in him as he clearly did.
That season, which would finish with Hull being relegated from the Premier League, ended early for Brown as he was relieved of his duties in March with the club bottom of the division.

I thought this thread was going to be about one of those human pyramid things you do in the swimming pool when trying to impress women on holiday in Magaluf or Paphos.

How can you be successful if you have no ambition to reach the top,if you settle for mediocrity then thats all you will ever get.Good on PB for having that ambition to manage his countries national team,even tactically Stephen Hunt says PB is excellent. Well i for one hope PB keeps that ambition and never stops trying to succeed,id rather have an ambitious manager in charge at SUFC ,than one without that ambition.:Worthy:

I think the human pyramids are from main land Spain and often involve sending rather small children up to the top ..... perhaps Aragon or Catalunia?

Catalonian......

human-towers-spain1_custom-e180800c8c3d2a3a991ce3bc4f8a68eeae12a411-s800-c85.jpg

Very impressive they are too...they're in a film but I'm buggered if I remember what one.

Now this is not a "Brown bashing" post ........... but I would have said that Brown was not that tactically aware.

How many times have we seen a team running out on to the pitch that was significantly different from the one that many fans would have picked? ......... and all those changes in formation and personnel seem at times to be more like that of someone trying to solve a puzzle by trying differing ways of putting pieces together in the hope that it all "clicks together".

Anyway, I must say that we played some good footie at times last season - perhaps the best since before we went down into Division 4 - long may that continue.

And perhaps that ambition can be worked to get a team together that brings in fans to the new ground when (if?) it gets completed in the next couple of years. :thumbsup:

Now this is not a "Brown bashing" post ........... but I would have said that Brown was not that tactically aware.

How many times have we seen a team running out on to the pitch that was significantly different from the one that many fans would have picked? ......... and all those changes in formation and personnel seem at times to be more like that of someone trying to solve a puzzle by trying differing ways of putting pieces together in the hope that it all "clicks together".

Anyway, I must say that we played some good footie at times last season - perhaps the best since before we went down into Division 4 - long may that continue.

And perhaps that ambition can be worked to get a team together that brings in fans to the new ground when (if?) it gets completed in the next couple of years. :thumbsup:

Given that a player who has played at a high level and has played international football thinks he is, maybe you're the one in the wrong?

I'm with you there although apparently on Twitter it has a point

#asktheyoungsters #notinmyday #trendingisalltherage #dontusetwittermuch #nopunctuationallowed #drivesmemad

Given that a player who has played at a high level and has played international football thinks he is, maybe you're the one in the wrong?

This is an open forum, not a meritocracy for opinions. When it comes to Phil Brown tactics, I'm still suffering with PTWHD (Post Traumatic Walsall at Home Disorder).

https://www.balls.ie/football/noel-hunt-2-362599
I've not listened to this myself yet but it sounds like it could shed some light on what happened last season and why Noel Hunt didn't enjoy his time with us......

It doesn't sound like he didn't enjoy his time here. It sounds like he has a lot of respect for the club, and all the staff. He just thinks talk of the Bolton job affected PB and therefore the team's performances. That's nothing we hadn't already worked out for ourselves.

Back