• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sterling

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member

I can't claim this as my work, as I saw it on Twitter by a fellow Shrimper, but the press will go mad when they realise there's a cannon on the Arsenal badge.

Reminds me of how 2 Australian swimmers were sent home from the London Olympics immediately after their events were completed because they posted a picture of themselves on social media in a US gun shop holding guns.

Apparently having a picture of yourself in a gun shop in the US which is not breaking any law is a bad image for the Australian swimming team. The irony of the fact that Australia also competes in shooting events in the Olympic games was lost on them.

The Sterling thing is just another bunch of virtue-signalers trying to out virtue other virtue signalers. Piers Morgan tends to go into overdrive when it comes to anything gun related, even tattooed guns, it seems.

Sounds like pretty typical outrage based clickbait to me, it’s best to just ignore it.

Online media realised that as long as they can find a couple of people angry about something stupid then they can report on the story and just play down how small the number of ‘calls’ for it to be stopped actually is. Then people on their website see the headline, think ‘surely not’, click on the headline and the website gets ad revenue. Then some people will get angry with how stupid it is and so complain about it on Twitter, this is very good for the story because then a lot of followers of these Tweeters, that wouldn’t normally be on the article’s website, will click on the article to see if that’s seriously what’s going on. Not only will this produce more ad revenue but some of these people will also be angry enough to share the story, so all their followers will also then see the story etc. and suddenly the story has hundreds of thousands of hits, which is a nice bit of profit off a story that probably required 5 minutes of research to write up. This then results in other media seeing that this story is profitable, and so they’ll also report on it, resulting in it being everywhere.

It wasn’t effective before the internet because you would have had to pay money for the story, and most people are not going to pay money to read a low effort story like this just to find out why people are angry, they’d just assume their mate is telling the truth rather than buying a copy of the article themselves. As a result stuff like this would have fizzled out quickly in the past. Since most online articles are free to read that barrier isn’t there now (and people can now tell thousands of people at once instead of just the 8 people at the pub with them), so the story can spread much faster and with more people actually reading the article instead of just assuming their mate has read it right.

What a surprise, the sun going after a young black player in the weeks before a big tournament. You could make the case that he’s been the best English player this season but because of his skin colour and background the media think it’s fair to try and destroy him.

I guess the World Cup buildup wouldn't be complete without some kind of "scandal" in the England camp for the media to run with. Looks like Sterling's tattoo is it this year. :headbang:

What a surprise, the sun going after a young black player in the weeks before a big tournament. You could make the case that he’s been the best English player this season but because of his skin colour and background the media think it’s fair to try and destroy him.

He is a target because he plays football for England, they have been at it for years.

Sounds like your the one trying to make it a racial issue. Dos anyone really care what the Sun think.

Yeah I think him being black is irrelevant, think that they would have had the same reaction if it had been someone like Vardy. A ridiculous reaction nonetheless

I did find this quite funny:

Yeah I think him being black is irrelevant, think that they would have had the same reaction if it had been someone like Vardy. A ridiculous reaction nonetheless

It's not just this incident though.

Whenever Sterling goes on holiday, The Sun and The Mail brand him "flashy". Rooney and his lot spend half of the year on holiday and that's never the case. Sterling bought his mum a house and was described as extravagant. Sterling didn't wash his car once and The Star splashed that he was spotted driving a FILTHY CAR to training. Sterling went to Poundland once and that wasn't just worth a story to the Mail, the top line opened with the line about how "happy" Sterling is to "splash his cash" on Bentleys, then went on to remind people how much he gets paid.

Sterling's treatment by certain sections of the press is not just abhorrent, it's transparently and demonstrably - and I'd argue inherently - different to the way other members of the England national team are treated. Now what separates Sterling from those other players?

CX3Iv-JUAAIP-Tf.jpg

It's not just this incident though.

Whenever Sterling goes on holiday, The Sun and The Mail brand him "flashy". Rooney and his lot spend half of the year on holiday and that's never the case. Sterling bought his mum a house and was described as extravagant. Sterling didn't wash his car once and The Star splashed that he was spotted driving a FILTHY CAR to training. Sterling went to Poundland once and that wasn't just worth a story to the Mail, the top line opened with the line about how "happy" Sterling is to "splash his cash" on Bentleys, then went on to remind people how much he gets paid.

Sterling's treatment by certain sections of the press is not just abhorrent, it's transparently and demonstrably - and I'd argue inherently - different to the way other members of the England national team are treated. Now what separates Sterling from those other players?

Fair enough, I'm pretty much oblivious to those rags so haven't seen all that.

I do stick by my comment that if it had been Vardy the gutter press would have had the same reaction though

Back