• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm fully expecting plenty of stick for this post but why so much abuse towards Steve Bennett today.

Up until the Maher incident there was no problems with the game. He had controlled it well with an early and fully justified yellow card for McCormack. Why on earth do people think that because it's the first bad tackle there is no need for a yellow card? Yes consistency and all that but if a referee clamps early there are no more problems which there weren't until the red card.

The Maher incident was not his fault. If a player is cheating then really its the player's (Duguid) fault. Yes the assistant referee got conned but when these things happen its impossible for the officials to know when players are cheating or not. The AR obviously got it wrong but this isn't Bennett's fault!

The Gower red card is Gower's fault. He got booked for dissent which is his fault and then gone in with a stupid reckless tackle which is another yellow card. Yes you could argue common sense could have been applied but the referee is there to make these decisions and he has decided it is worthy of a caution.

The Barker send off was completely stupid from his point because his gone in which 2 clear fouls from behind. These are two mandatory cautions which Bennett needs to issue for his assessment.

I agree, Bennett missed a few advantages and could have been a little less picky in places but he was far and away the best referee we have had this year for being up with play and the on the spot decisions.

He was calm and collected and smiling at the fans towards the end of the game was hillarious. If you had that sort of abuse directed towards you I think that most people would be doing a little more than smiling back at them!

Because the lino did not Flag for play to be pulled back niether did Bennett. So if the Lino didn't flag and he didn't see, how can he send a player off. Plus his cheeky smile towards us - was just not needed.

do they not have ear piece technology now?perhaps the lino used that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Nov. 25 2006,22:43)]Because the lino did not Flag for play to be pulled back niether did Bennett. So if the Lino didn't flag and he didn't see, how can he send a player off. Plus his cheeky smile towards us - was just not needed.
The referee is wired up to the official via the walky talky things and they have the buzzer flags. The assistant referee obviously used one of these methods.

As for not needed, I would argue the abuse towards him was not needed. Neither was the coins, lighters etc. that were thrown onto the pitch and hit some of the stewards.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2006,22:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Nov. 25 2006,22:43)]Because the lino did not Flag for play to be pulled back niether did Bennett. So if the Lino didn't flag and he didn't see, how can he send a player off. Plus his cheeky smile towards us - was just not needed.
The referee is wired up to the official via the walky talky things and they have the buzzer flags. The assistant referee obviously used one of these methods.

As for not needed, I would argue the abuse towards him was not needed. Neither was the coins, lighters etc. that were thrown onto the pitch and hit some of the stewards.
I am not doubting that but that has nothing to do with the ref... I am saying the Ref had a poor game he would book McCormack for a tackle which Col u players committed at least 3-4 times. Difference is we didn't make a big meal of it. I thought he was a poor Ref. Who made stupid dicisions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Nov. 25 2006,22:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2006,22:47)]
[b said:

I am not doubting that but that has nothing to do with the ref... I am saying the Ref had a poor game he would book McCormack for a tackle which Col u players committed at least 3-4 times. Difference is we didn't make a big meal of it. I thought he was a poor Ref. Who made stupid dicisions.
I agree our players played like men and got on with it. Col******r cheated around but I cannot recal any Col******r tackles with the force and recklessness of McCormack's that were committed but not punished with a caution.

The five tackles that were of that nature IMO were McCormack's, Gower's, the two Barker fouls and the foul in the far corner from Eastwood/Bradbury (which was not punished with a caution).

From KentFA.com

Kentfa.com: Are there any laws of the game you would like to be changed?

Steve Bennett: I would like to see the authorities retrospectively punish players for blatant cheating i.e. diving or feigning injury – its virtually impossible to tell on occasions whether players are genuinely playing within the spirit of ‘Fair Play’

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2006,23:39)]From KentFA.com

Kentfa.com: Are there any laws of the game you would like to be changed?

Steve Bennett: I would like to see the authorities retrospectively punish players for blatant cheating i.e. diving or feigning injury – its virtually impossible to tell on occasions whether players are genuinely playing within the spirit of ‘Fair Play’
when did that go up on there?

Spoken like a ref Matt. IMO I think you are one of the better refs in the area, but if you ref a game in the way you suggest it should be above, we will end up having games abandoned.

Consistency is all anybody wants & Bennett didn't show that today. Also, you say that few of the fouls by Col U had the force that Macs or Gower's did, but when players clip the heels of a player getting away from him & not get booked, its wrong. There is the booking for the continual infringement of the laws of the game (I think thats the refs term) that several Col U players were guilty of.

Unfortunately the Maher sending off set the tone for the rest of the game. If Bennett hadn't sent Maher off, Gower wouldn't have felt the need to tell him that he was a c*ck & wouldn't have been wound up to take the Col U player out!
rock.gif

The game until the sendings off was destined for a 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, as both sides were very average. Shame we had to have the Premiersh!t reject ref to spoil it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2006,22:36)]I'm fully expecting plenty of stick for this post but why so much abuse towards Steve Bennett today.
Plus, 'Previous experiences' Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2006,22:36)]I'm fully expecting plenty of stick for this post but why so much abuse towards Steve Bennett today.
I believe your original premise on this thread is totally wrong.

I've just seen the incident on "The Championship" and Bennett himself is clearly seen on the halfway line turning to face the incident, blowing his whistle as we broke away & Doobad hits the deck. I believe he saw it rather than got the info off his assistant over the earpiece.

It is IMO therefore his decision originally about which being the awful referee that he is he then consulted the assistant, a halfwit who at that stage had penalised us virtually ever time we'd gone in the Cull Ewe half.

Unless there's another camera covering it I'm afraid there's not enough on the main one to clear Captain Crab what it showed was too vague.

Bennett's comments from the official site. he clearly went 100% on the view of the lino

Referee Steve Bennett has given his own account of events that lead to the sending off of Kevin Maher at Layer Road on Saturday.

The Premiership official spoke to the press following Southend's 3-0 defeat to Col******r United.

But the referee's views seem to be in contrast to those of the U's Karl Duguid, who spoke of Maher going 'face to face' with the Layer Road captain.

"There was an off the ball incident and play continued I then had communication from my assistant referee so I blew the whistle," confirmed referee Bennett.

"My assistant referee informed me that the player had struck out at an opponent therefore the player was sent off for violent conduct.

"The assistant didn't put his flag up but he doesn't necessarily have to flag, he has pressed the buzzer so I have turned round and blown the whistle.

"Whether it is the whistle that gets blown or the flag it doesn't detract from the fact that the offence has occurred.

"I was informed by my assistant that it was an act of violent conduct and that is what I will be reporting to the FA.

"I won't necessarily look at the incident again because I've not been given a video of it."

Bennett went on to send off Mark Gower for Southen and Chris Barker for Col******r for second bookable offences.

However, Maher didn't blame the officials for coming to that conclusion after the game.

"It's a disgrace, you talk about referee's not doing their job but when players do that it's embarrassing, if anything if makes officials jobs harder," said Maher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Nov. 26 2006,12:10)]Bennett's comments from the official site. he clearly went 100% on the view of the lino
He's bound to say that as it takes the pressure off him.
wow.gif

Lets face it I'm not sure he ever admitted he was wrong when he sent Leo Roget off when it should have been Jeroene Boere. The decision might have been changed, but I hazard a large wager that Bennett didn't admit his mistake.

[b said:
He buzzed him apparently which is the same thing as flagging.

The ref didn't do a thing wrong today really.

Bennett is a c%&t.

He should never have been allowed to referee us after that Oxford game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Nov. 26 2006,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Nov. 26 2006,12:10)]Bennett's comments from the official site. he clearly went 100% on the view of the lino
He's bound to say that as it takes the pressure off him.  
wow.gif

Lets face it I'm not sure he ever admitted he was wrong when he sent Leo Roget off when it should have been Jeroene Boere.  The decision might have been changed, but I hazard a large wager that Bennett didn't admit his mistake.
If the Bennett says that, the next time the referees get together in Staverton and analyse the incidents the assistant is going to be asked what happened.

I don't think somehow the AR is going to answer anything if Bennett has lied to the media. Then if he has lied to the media Bennett can kiss goodbye to his career (yea I know some will be happy) which somehow I don't think his going to do!

Clearly the AR has seen the incident and buzzed the referee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 26 2006,15:34)]Bennett is a c%&t.

Nice constructive comment!
mad.gif

As for not being allowed to referee a team, that is just ridiculous! If we had that every time a referee made a mistake against a team we would have a situation where by teams would be asking for referees not to referee them ever again! That isn't a situation we can allow the game to get into.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2006,16:24)]I don't think somehow the AR is going to answer anything if Bennett has lied to the media. Then if he has lied to the media Bennett can kiss goodbye to his career (yea I know some will be happy) which somehow I don't think his going to do!

Clearly the AR has seen the incident and buzzed the referee.
I bet you believe everything you read in the papers as well!  Get real, Bennett would do anything to extend his career the story will stay the same whatever happened.

The only answer that any of them can now come out with to preserve their situation is that they definitely saw Maher lump DoBad.  We know it's a lie.  They know it's a lie, as they might have thought they saw something but they don't really know what.  The decision will not get changed because they'll continue the lie.

Hey.  Has Graham Poll ever really admitted that he got it wrong in the World Cup?  His explanation that he "thought" he'd booked someone else with a similar name was the quickest crappiest porky pie that he could come up with.  Ref in dyslexia shocker?  
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2006,16:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 26 2006,15:34)]Bennett is a c%&t.

Nice constructive comment!  
mad.gif

As for not being allowed to referee a team, that is just ridiculous! If we had that every time a referee made a mistake against a team we would have a situation where by teams would be asking for referees not to referee them ever again! That isn't a situation we can allow the game to get into.
What, you don't think the FA make political decisions?

Steve Bennett sent off Leo Roget for a second booking, when that second offence was committed by Jereon Boere.

boere2.jpeg

roget10.jpg

To not be able to tell the difference is inexcusable.

Back