• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve McClaren In Disguise

This is not a knee-jerk reaction but something that has been building for many many months. I believe that its time Tilly and his staff moved on and passed the reigns to a fresh face. Having taken the plaudits and praise for a few good seasons (and being rewarded with a new contract) it has become increasingly more evident that Tilson has limited ability when it comes to building continuity and strengthening the side. More importantly the style of fottball has become woeful hoof it up as the first half against Barnsley showed. Lob it forward to the 2 dwarfs and see what happens.
I for one am sick and tired of seeing him standing against the dug out making notes on a piece of paper whilst showing no animation or emotion whatsoever.
There are many other issues which I would like to state about Tilson's management but would first like to hear of those who agree or counter arguements.
I am a true supporter of many years but put the club first before blind faith and loyalty to a hierarchy that are no longer taking this club forward.

No, have no doubts about Tilly, like I said before, my concern is more over Brush. Tilly's still learning his trade and after a couple of fantastic seasons is stuck in the more mundane this year, I think he's doing ok.

Hmmm... disagree. I think the quality of the signings in general has been good. It is impossible to get every signing right, especially at our level on our budget, and I think Bailey, Barnard, and Scannell are top signings. As to the "leans against the dugout" thing, well that's his style and I think I would rather see that than the likes of Martin Allen screaming and foaming. Has never done Allen any good anyway, the guy has won..... Nothing!

Just when you think all the tilly out threads are done and dusted up pops another one, it would be a very sad day indeed if Tilly left this club, be very careful what you wish for

Just when you think all the tilly out threads are done and dusted up pops another one, it would be a very sad day indeed if Tilly left this club, be very careful what you wish for

To be fair, leeblue, MS4E isn't just wishing for change as so many of the Tilly Out camp do, he has put forward reasons for his point of view and though I disagree with them his points deserve to be discussed.

No doubt we not setting the football world on fire and yes he has put his point across very well, but we should follow the lead of the most successful clubs and give a decent manager time to build, I cringe at the thought of who would replace tilly, they certainly would not love the club the way tilly does, have such great historical connections with the club, already proven he can do the buisness at this level and try and play the game in the right way.

No doubt we not setting the football world on fire and yes he has put his point across very well, but we should follow the lead of the most successful clubs and give a decent manager time to build, I cringe at the thought of who would replace tilly, they certainly would not love the club the way tilly does, have such great historical connections with the club, already proven he can do the buisness at this level and try and play the game in the right way.

What concerns me is not the lack of animation but the apparent lack of communication. From where I sit in the SU it appears to me, and I may be wrong but, there seems to be hardly any inter-action between the manager and his assistant and the players.
If the system we are playing doesn't seem to be working because T & B are being out-thought by the opposition manager we don't change things quickly enough. Is this because our management are not astute enough or is it because they lean on the wall and do very little and say even less? Perhaps one of the posters who sit near the dug-out and have a better view could let me know.

"they certainly would not love the club the way tilly does, have such great historical connections with the club"

I have a great passion and love for the club which started in 1964 and its for that reason I feel changes need to be made before the rot sets in once again.
Sometimes brave decisons have to be made for the longer term benefit of the club.
Tomorrow nights game is bigger than people realise and only a win will do, although I can see Leeds taking us to the cleaners. I hope I am wrong but a defeat and the manner of it will determine the remainder of the season. Crowds will diminish and sub 5,000 gates will be inevitable. Once revenue starts to reduce R.M.will start to become more vocal.
I understand the fans affection for Tilson and yes I agree "he's a nice bloke" but unfortunately "nice guys rarely turn out to be successful in the long run"
It was great to go to Cardiff 3 times for 2 runner up LDV finals and a play off win against Lincoln. The Division 1 title season was the best I have seen the team play for years. Leaving Swanea that day in the 2-2 draw was very emotional. But its all history now and the failure to build on that success is nothing short of criminal. Not all the blame rests at Tilson's door (just the style of play, signings,selection and player discipline on and off the field) and some has to be apportioned to R.M. Investment is negligible to say the least and I believe Martin is reluctant to buy certain players until the new stadium go ahead is guaranteed. In the event that the stadium is blocked I cant see R.M. hanging around !

there are an awful lot of managers around - very few of them have won anything, very few of them are successful - Tilson is a winner, the most precious thing - and he is successful -

tough job on his hands this year but hes got the club competing for more success -

its a bit special for some of us cos hes a local lad but naming some-one I would rather have at the club ? - possibley Mourinho thats it -

as for the moaners and groaners and the Tilson Out brigade - its the worst thing about Southend United.

there are an awful lot of managers around - very few of them have won anything, very few of them are successful - Tilson is a winner, the most precious thing - and he is successful -

tough job on his hands this year but hes got the club competing for more success -

its a bit special for some of us cos hes a local lad but naming some-one I would rather have at the club ? - possibley Mourinho thats it -

as for the moaners and groaners and the Tilson Out brigade - its the worst thing about Southend United.

Here Here!:cool:

he's a nice bloke" but unfortunately "nice guys rarely turn out to be successful in the long run"
It was great to go to Cardiff 3 times for 2 runner up LDV finals and a play off win against Lincoln. The Division 1 title season was the best I have seen the team play for years. Leaving Swanea that day in the 2-2 draw was very emotional. !

you seem to contradictng yourself here - last year playing at the Stadium of Light etc. meant we were far more successful that 48 clubs below us in Lges 1 and 2 with one the smallest crowds, lowest budgets etc. Roots Hall had players like Upson and Noble and Bendtner on mega wages playing against
our team with our big star on 2k a week -

In some ways we are struggling this season but most professional observers rate us as one of the stronger teams in the division and obviously within the game Tilson has has a seriously good reputation -

isn't it terrible that having dragged this club up by the boot straps Tilson has to put up with this sort of stupidness - the stuff that gives Soutehnd supporters a bad name -

I love tilly and brush.. however, they cannot live on the back of 2 good seasons forever!

what~??????????????? You think RM will walk out if the new stadium is tunred down??? but,but,but he walks out on the pitch and sends us emails personnaly signed by him, how very dare you!!!!!!!!!!

I love tilly and brush.. however, they cannot live on the back of 2 good seasons forever!

If we're back in League 2 then I'd agree, but we're 8th in League 1, good chance of still getting into the playoffs (probably won't happen to be fair) so they both more than deserve their status.

My two penny worth..Stick with Tilson, at least until Christmas 2008.

1) yes, he has achieved alot in the past few seasons..well done, but we dont have the resources financially to maintain that momentum, sometimes one step back to take two steps forward is whats required.

2) How much is the club in debt? how much did we get for Eastwood? the books dont balance, so the squad suffers. Someone mentioned on another thread about replacing Eastwood with a non league player...remind me, where did we sign Eastwood from? We got lucky, he could have easily ended up being another non effective player. Give Mac a chane, I feel he could be a very good striker for the club and who knows what Barnard can do for us.The club is a business first and foremost.

3) This season isnt over with yet, we are only 2 wins and a draw away from the play offs, and at the start of the season most of us indicated on this site, anywhere between play-off and mid table, would be acceptable. How long does it take new manager to come in, change the squad to how he likes? No guarantees, and who would want to come here that is a top quality, PROVEN manager?

4) Whats the point of being promoted to CCC with a league 1 team (see what happened last year and whats happening to Colchester this year).

I believe that if we stay in league 1 this year, and have not moved forward by Christmas, then Tilly and/or Brush should move on or upwards.
One final question...will a new stadium bring Instant success? ask Darlington, Southampton, Leicester.

If we're back in League 2 then I'd agree, but we're 8th in League 1, good chance of still getting into the playoffs (probably won't happen to be fair) so they both more than deserve their status.

From that post, you would be happy with struggling in league 1 then?

If tilly and brush can take us as far as this, then they need to consider their positions... and ron needs to consifer if he wants a league 1 club

From that post, you would be happy with struggling in league 1 then?

If tilly and brush can take us as far as this, then they need to consider their positions... and ron needs to consifer if he wants a league 1 club

But we're not struggling are we?

Back