• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
I see our manager from the mid-nineties has got himself into hot water.
He has been working as a commentator for BBC Radio Lincolnshire and committed the heinous crime of dismissing a spat on the pitch between two players as "handbags".
Oh Steve, you can't say that in this day and age. So many of our rising woke generation and snowflakes will keel over or collapse in tears over such an utterance.
Given the biased BBC's predictable position on this, it is no surprise that Thompson has been suspended.
It should hopefully be of some consolation that the silent majority are right behind you Steve.

I looked this up on Twitter and one of the articles had lots of replies from women all saying it’s an absolute joke and doesn’t offend them.

The BBC love making something out of nothing.

Bet if you watched back all of this years Match of Day guarantee that someone refers to a scuffle as handbags!

I see our manager from the mid-nineties has got himself into hot water.
He has been working as a commentator for BBC Radio Lincolnshire and committed the heinous crime of dismissing a spat on the pitch between two players as "handbags".
Oh Steve, you can't say that in this day and age. So many of our rising woke generation and snowflakes will keel over or collapse in tears over such an utterance.
Given the biased BBC's predictable position on this, it is no surprise that Thompson has been suspended.
It should hopefully be of some consolation that the silent majority are right behind you Steve.

Do the BBC not realise they're being sexist by assuming only women use handbags?

Do the BBC not realise they're being sexist by assuming only women use handbags?
Loved the comment I heard this morning re: a Merseyside derby back in the late sixties/early seventies.
Apparantly a Liverpool supporter ran on the pitch and presented a handbag to Gordon West, the Everton goalkeeper.
Those were the days when humour was allowed in this country.

Perhaps things have changed in the UK (but I rather doubt it).I seem to remember on a trip back in the early 90's taking my very practical man bag to an England game at Wembley and getting a "Look at her"from a couple of young kids queuing up for the exit on the way out.Also remember going to a home game around the same time and popping into the gents at the Spread and getting an ironic burst of applause on my way out from the Southend faithful (presumably for the same reason)!

Also in the current bun today..
I’m sure “that was handbags at ten paces” used to be one that Paul Clark or Glenn Pennyfather used on our commentaries.

There is nothing wrong with it in my book, people shouldn’t have to go around watching their p’s & q’s in case they inadvertently ‘offend’ someone who often has nothing to do with the issue in question.
People do like to kick up a fuss over f*ck all these days as a virtue signalling exercise.

Last edited:
If he didn't want to cause offence, he should have said it was Manbags .....Or even gender neutral bags.

Can someone advise me am I allowed to say he is like a big girls blouse or in the land of wokery we now live is that now prohibited ?.

Ive heard it on Match of the Day numerous times!

Its a standard and well used footballing cliche. Who on earth would be listening to local radio commentary and not understand the context in which it was said.

Who knows he may have upset the wrong person at some stage. I'm reliably informed that behind the scenes on many sporting programmes there is a very high level of bitching.....Especially on MOTD, which is understandable when you see Linkers wages.

Still reflects the modern work world. Lots of middle management seem to thrive on creating problems that don't exist.

I'm sure the BBC create these non stories on purpose so their bosses the Tories can keep stoking up their dumb culture wars. I am pretty left wing and not in the slightest bit offended by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back