• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve Tilson recalls Southend United's snow-swept win against Shrewsbury Town: "I tol

Evening Echo

The News
Steve Tilson recalls Southend United's snow-swept win against Shrewsbury Town: "I tol

SOUTHEND United may have to overcome many difficulties when they take on Capital One Cup giant-killers Shrewsbury Town at Roots Hall tomorrow. But the weather is not likely to be one of them. However, back in February 2005, it was a completely different story when snow memorably swept across the pitch.

More...

It's great to hear that Tilson still feels fondly of SUFC even after being treated disgracefully by that moRon.

Tilson = Southend legend

ST Should have been more forceful when Norwich & West Brom both wanted him - even if he'd failed there i'm sure he'd have picked up a decent pay-off and still been managing now. I look at people like Martin Allen who has achieved nothing like as much as Tilly did but he always seems to be in a decent job.

Seems to be doing ok at Basildon ladies, was there last Sunday before they played Enfield as had a game before them there, things look very professional over there I must admit and they cut the grass in between our game and theirs, nice pitch to:thumbsup:

Seems to be doing ok at Basildon ladies, was there last Sunday before they played Enfield as had a game before them there, things look very professional over there I must admit and they cut the grass in between our game and theirs, nice pitch to:thumbsup:

Still it's sad to hear what he's doing now. Was part of the U21 set-up if I remember... and now he's coaching a female college side?

It's sad that Tilly has plummeted to such depths in order to stay in work. I would've thought his best option would be to get an assistant manager or coaching position at a league club. Given his connections to Peter Taylor I thought he may have been able to work with him since he returned to Gillingham, however this doesn't appear to be an option.

It's sad that Tilly has plummeted to such depths in order to stay in work. I would've thought his best option would be to get an assistant manager or coaching position at a league club. Given his connections to Peter Taylor I thought he may have been able to work with him since he returned to Gillingham, however this doesn't appear to be an option.
being 1st team coach at Basildon ladies is his own choice you do know that eh, he does do other things during the week also like his own business to keep going, maybe this not coaching and managing at the level he is now suits him down to the ground, I know he has other offers in coaching and that but has turned them down, good luck to him as he seems to be enjoying this at the moment:thumbsup:

Still it's sad to hear what he's doing now. Was part of the U21 set-up if I remember... and now he's coaching a female college side?

The England U21s? I think he did a few training sessions as part of a drive to freshen things up, but that's fairly common and I don't think he was ever handed a role there. There aren't exactly a dearth of coaching roles up and down the country for someone of Tilly's experience/qualifications, so perhaps he's just happy being back in the local area and away from the grind?

The England U21s? I think he did a few training sessions as part of a drive to freshen things up, but that's fairly common and I don't think he was ever handed a role there. There aren't exactly a dearth of coaching roles up and down the country for someone of Tilly's experience/qualifications, so perhaps he's just happy being back in the local area and away from the grind?

That's my point - he was a highly regarded coach/manager and I think it was Pearce (might have been Taylor) that brought him in. They don't just bring any Tom dick and Harry to work with England's brightest talents.

Fair play if he has his own company and commitments that take priority. Would have been nice to see him get another FL role however. Two consecutive promotions on a relatively small budget is pretty impressive!

ST Should have been more forceful when Norwich & West Brom both wanted him - even if he'd failed there i'm sure he'd have picked up a decent pay-off and still been managing now. I look at people like Martin Allen who has achieved nothing like as much as Tilly did but he always seems to be in a decent job.

Your right although I just don't think Tilson has the character or chat required in interviews that a lot of other managers do like Martin Allen who has which was an excellent example.

being 1st team coach at Basildon ladies is his own choice you do know that eh, he does do other things during the week also like his own business to keep going, maybe this not coaching and managing at the level he is now suits him down to the ground, I know he has other offers in coaching and that but has turned them down, good luck to him as he seems to be enjoying this at the moment:thumbsup:

He teaches a Sports Science class at SEEVIC during the week, not sure how many days a week he is there.

Back