• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve Tilson

Steve Tilson - Would you give him the job full time?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would prefer a more experienced man incharge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 19 2004,08:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ April 17 2004,09:07)]This has got to be the most worthless poll ever on this site,Tilson/Brush record must be the best we have had in years.
Two year plus contract to the both of them please RM
Although I probably think that Tilly and Brush should get the chance to be in charge next year there record isn't that impressive we've only managed two league wins in a row twice this season, it's very deceiptive.
What's the problem? He's not lost many either.

Win at home, draw away and you are looking to go up.

Yep I know but you need to win several games in a row to be a promotion winning side. When we struggle to put back to back wins together you don't have the luxary of being able to afford a couple of defeats that will surely come in a season. Doesn't really matter this season but next season we will need to go on a winning run of 5 or 6 games a couple of times in the season.

I would give Tilly the job. If it doesn't work out I'd have a two way clause whereby he could resume his youth connections should he/the board feel that he needs more time etc and Brushy would be in the wings anyway.

Possibly true, Scriv.  But let's put this in context.  When Tilly took us over, we were in the slough of despond, deeply in trouble at the foot of the table.

Now we're 13th - mid-table, and cruising.  In that time, we've had wins away at Boston (normally very tough at home) and Carlisle (where we NEVER win), and got to the Millennium Stadium.

Tilly's league record is, out of interest:

P24 W10 D7 L7 F30 A26 Pts 37

Extrapolate that over a whole season, and that becomes

P46 W20 D13 L13 F58 A50 Pts 73

...and that's a points haul which would be good enough for the play-offs.

In other words, Tilly took over a team that was in the bottom 3, and has produced the sort of results that would have been good enough to get us into the playoffs.

I think that that's bloody amazing.  Imagine what he & Brush could do with a level playing-field - in other words, being able to start the season with a squad whose confidence is high, and whose belief in themselves and the management team is strong.

That's why, it seems to me, that Tilly & Brush are the team we need to have in charge next season.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 16 2004,13:26)]*A man who fired his players with such passion & self-belief that they've taken us to our first final in 98 years.
What a difference the word 'up' would have made.

Fair points though. I think the biggest success of his tenure would be securing Constantine for next season(/s). People seem indifferent to Conny but he keeps scoring and must be seen as interesting by teams in Div 2 at least. If Leon is happy enough to stay, it must say volumes for Tilson/Brush and the general atmosphere round the club.

Sign them up at the end of the season and let's have some stability for a change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 19 2004,12:01)]Tilly's league record is, out of interest:

P24 W10 D7 L7 F30 A26 Pts 37

Extrapolate that over a whole season, and that becomes

P46 W20 D13 L13 F58 A50 Pts 73

...and that's a points haul which would be good enough for the play-offs.
And don't forget that Roots Hall Curse over here managed to stunt our league form when I came back from Pompey over Christmas (not to mention MillStad!)

Honestly thought it was going to go pearshaped again v Darlo but that took my games watched record to W3 D4 L9. Toying with the idea of never watching live again to be honest!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 19 2004,12:01)]Possibly true, Scriv.  But let's put this in context.  When Tilly took us over, we were in the slough of despond, deeply in trouble at the foot of the table.

Now we're 13th - mid-table, and cruising.  In that time, we've had wins away at Boston (normally very tough at home) and Carlisle (where we NEVER win), and got to the Millennium Stadium.
Which is why we should give them the chance to show us what they can do next year. What I'm saying is they will still need to improve from a couple of wins, followed by draws and the odd defeat if we want to be challenging at the right end of the table.

Back