• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve Tilson

Steve Tilson - Would you give him the job full time?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would prefer a more experienced man incharge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ April 16 2004,10:58)]Tilly and Brush should be given a two-year contract.

Wignall should be given a job as Chief Scout - the team is still basically players he signed.....
Sorry mate, Disagree over Wignall!

Tilly has found better players since Wignall left i.e. Nicolau, Pettefer and Dudfield.

We do not want that to**er Wignall near this clyb thank you!

We should get rid of him, he never waved at the South Stand Upper when we ere chanting his name!
sad.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper Zoo @ April 16 2004,10:06)]The man I feel sorry for in all of this is Steve Wignall.  I still can't see what he done to deserve the bullet.
You have got too be joking mate?

Wignall was up there with the likes of Alvin Martin and Alan Little ie: f**king clueless with no passion.
For the first time since Barry Fry we have someone at the helm who has the club at heart and is capable of bringing some real sucess and i for one am quite excited about the future with Tilly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ April 16 2004,11:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper Zoo @ April 16 2004,10:06)]The man I feel sorry for in all of this is Steve Wignall.  I still can't see what he done to deserve the bullet.

Wignall was up there with the likes of Alvin Martin and Alan Little ie: f**king clueless with no passion.
For the first time since Barry Fry we have someone at the helm who has the club at heart and is capable of bringing some real sucess and i for one am quite excited about the future with Tilly.
OOh dear Brainless the Dog, I think that bloke has just got you hook line and sinker mate, can't believe you fell for it

[b said:
[b said:

Also on the plus side we have someone with some passion who isn't a big fat "thinks the club are going nowhere" pedophile!
biggrin.gif

You've got a couple of catches there SZ/GS(whatever you call yourself) ...

Kev

wink.gif

P.s. I dont think its out of order to question whether Tilly should get the job. In fact, its a very good question and one that needs to be discussed. A couple of months back i was ver sure that Tilly wouldn't get the job on a full-time basis, but now, a couple of months down the line, im 90% sure that he will be offered an extension. He's brought in Pettefer, Bentley, Dudfield and Nicky and not one of them has done badly yet. Hunt was brought in by Wignall (who also attracted Warren, Gower, Connie and Flahavan back to the squad) Had we been able to take pen's ... im pretty sure that he could have been our manager for a much longer spell. Who knows!

What experience will a supposedly more experienced manager bring to the club than an experience of failure?

How can Tilly & Brush be considered as anything other than perfect for the job?  They're both ex-players - Tilly turned down the possibility of top-flight football (with Coventry) on the basis that he had a desire to play for no one else but Southend; Brush had a decent, if less ostentatiously "blue-blooded" career with Southend as well.

Indeed, if you opened Tilly up, he'd be like a stick of rock - with the words "Southend United FC" permeating through his very core.

What more could we possibly want?  Tilly is:

*A man who adores this club, and won't wander off at the drop of a cheque-book.
*A man who has lifted the club from relegation despair to mid-table.
*A man who fired his players with such passion & self-belief that they've taken us to our first final in 98 years.
*A man who has blended his passion for the club with Brush's greater experience to form a winning team.
*As a management team, a team of which perhaps our most exciting signing in years - Dudfield - said "if they get the job, I'll sign on the line"
*As a management team, they've already got the likes of Cort & Flavs - who were definitely looking elsewhere last summer - saying "we want to stay"

They are respected by the dressing room, loved by the fans, have been highly successful on & off the pitch (we've broken even for the first time in a decade this year), and are committed & passionate about the club.

How, in any conceiveable sense, is Tilly & Brush anything other than the best management solution we've had at this club in at least the last decade?

I am pleased to see, it must be said, that over 90% of SZ appears to think the same way...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ April 16 2004,11:54)]
[b said:
[b said:

Also on the plus side we have someone with some passion who isn't a big fat "thinks the club are going nowhere" pedophile!
biggrin.gif
Yes Fry was that but what i was saying is that he brought success to the club which knowbody has done since.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ April 16 2004,11:53)]
[b said:
[b said:

OOh dear Brainless the Dog, I think that bloke has just got you hook line and sinker mate, can't believe you fell for it
Oh look CS Cokatoo has crawled out from the woodwork again.

Why dont you just **** off and hang outside schools looking for your prey like you normally do on a weeknight.
Sick twisted pervert.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2004,14:22)]You've got a couple of catches there SZ/GS(whatever you call yourself) ...

Kev

wink.gif

P.s. I dont think its out of order to question whether Tilly should get the job. In fact, its a very good question and one that needs to be discussed. A couple of months back i was ver sure that Tilly wouldn't get the job on a full-time basis, but now, a couple of months down the line, im 90% sure that he will be offered an extension. He's brought in Pettefer, Bentley, Dudfield and Nicky and not one of them has done badly yet. Hunt was brought in by Wignall (who also attracted Warren, Gower, Connie and Flahavan back to the squad) Had we been able to take pen's ... im pretty sure that he could have been our manager for a much longer spell. Who knows!
Nobody said it was 'out of order' to question Tilly / Brush... just that the majority very strongly in favour of... and all based on a heap of evidence as to why.

I defy the board to appoint anyone over Tilly/Brush.

They'll be a f**king riot.

These two have been tru;y inspirational and, as stated by many, have brought back the confidence and belief that has been so sadly lacking in previous seasons.

Remember how we all felt in November/December in the bottom two? Never again!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ April 16 2004,11:44)]Wignall was up there with the likes of Alvin Martin and Alan Little ie: f**king clueless with no passion.
Bit harsh on Alan Little, he wasn't clueless and his managerial record stands up quite well in comparison to anything we've had since except Tilly/Brush. The clueless bit about him was the wage bill.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 16 2004,17:19)]The clueless bit about him was the wage bill.
Which wasn't his fault anyway; that was Main's fault.

Little can hold his head high, IMHO. Not least for leading us to a 3-0 win at Birdbrain Road when we were in trouble in the League; but also 'cos he's an ex-Shrimper himself.

Comparing him with the Chipmunk or Whelan, or (to a lesser extent) Wiggers, is tantamount to blasphemy.

ghostface.gif

Matt

P.S. Nice to see the Zone back - where's it been all day?!

Iam with 'Matt the Shrimper' - what more Tilson have to do to get the Job. Iam aware about so-called in-experience manager such as Muppet Martin, Ronnie "******" Whelan or Newman, the difference out of these three that our away game under Tilson, is more enjoyable to watch rather than expecting the 0-0 or a 2-0 defeat.

My Dad & his mate is thinking about swapping their season ticket (their words not mine) at Chelsea to join me at Root-Hall next season as 4 of them has enjoyed the football that Southend has played under Tilson (e.g. the Scu*thorpe game). More success & more fans will come next season.

An need of a experienced .... 'My Ar*e' - Tilson have been through the last 5 months is much more than the experienced manager did in the last 5 years.

Tilson is managing Southend Utd for real, just like us managing Southend on Championship manager on PC or Total Football Manager on PS2. If Tilson did'nt make it as Pro player, he would spend at least 1 hour or more of his spare time trying to lead Southend to success on PC (who would'nt?) rather than doing it for real.

My example bit of an a**e innt
tounge.gif

I bloody hope Ron gives Tilly and brush at least two years, preferably more!!!

The turn around in form, league position etc has been nothing short of exceptional.

SIGN THEM UP!!!

i dont see how someone can question steve's achievements
during the last 5 months? there has been a marked improvement in performances and more important in our league
position: they play with a tremendous team spirit with players
stating that want play for this club so mr martin give him a longer contract and show more patience than the one you had
with previous managers.
only one thing worries me. if we dont have a good start next
season( that can happen especially over a long season and
with a fitness planning that priorities long term achievements:
ie.slow start top form in the crucial months of the season like
manutd) how we would react? will we get behind the manager or will we do what we have done with some managers?
i am now confident that steve will be a good manager for sufc
but i also know that we could go through a bad patch on the
way to better things: the key is the way how the supporters
will react to this.
in other words, you see who your real friends are when things
go bad!
i will also say that things look really well on the football side so
long may it continue and i am looking forward to the day we will play west ham utd in the same division again!

This has got to be the most worthless poll ever on this site,Tilson/Brush record must be the best we have had in years.
Two year plus contract to the both of them please RM

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ April 17 2004,09:07)]This has got to be the most worthless poll ever on this site,Tilson/Brush record must be the best we have had in years.
Two year plus contract to the both of them please RM
Although I probably think that Tilly and Brush should get the chance to be in charge next year there record isn't that impressive we've only managed two league wins in a row twice this season, it's very deceiptive.

Back