• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
I've just got back home and I am still so angry at today's performance - I've spent a good hour and half discussing the Tilson situation with my mate who, like me, has been going to Southend since the early/mid 80's, so this is not someone who has jumped on the recent bandwagon.

I'm amazed to come back here and not see more vitriol. I'm also not at all surprised to read Tilly banging on AGAIN about bad luck, we were the better team etc.

I'm saying the position of manager of Southend has GOT to be up for discussion in the boardroom - even at a tentative stage.

Personally, in my opinion, its time for a change (for what its worth, my mate says stick for now, but he appreciates the arguments I have put forward).

That performance today smacked of a lack of any ideas, any passion and its my belief that Tilson has run out of ideas and the players know it.

Francis is AWFUL and I sincerely hope I never see him in a Blue shirt again - thats the final straw and its been coming for months. What on earth was the point of playing him wide right - I saw NO tactical benefit whatsoever, its not as if he was in to double up on Johnson with Sankofa as that never happened (Johnson wasnt really the threat either).

McCormack is a shadow of his former self and too many players in our side are playing below par as they know they are almost undroppable. The 1st goal was a joke piece of 'marking' by Barret. One bit of movement from O'Hanlon and Barret has lost his man completely - very poor.

I love Tilson and what we have achieved over the years has been superb and will never be forgotton, but there does come a point when the players stop listening, get complacent, or just the management run out of ideas and for me, that time has come.

I still believe this squad - even without the loan players - is in a false position and could perform so much better. Perhaps we aren't getting the best of luck at the moment, but that always happens to managers.

There will be the usual split of people on SZ now arguing this over - 90% in favour of Tilly no doubt - but I'm prepared to debate this out sensibly. If you believe he should stay, state a case and lets hammer it out.

I'm not prepared to keep shelling time and money out to watch ***** like that when I dont believe Tilson can turn it around.

Thoughts?

I love Tilson and what we have achieved over the years has been superb and will never be forgotton, but there does come a point when the players stop listening, get complacent, or just the management run out of ideas and for me, that time has come.

Tilson has completely rebuilt the title winning team. We have, I believe, just one player remaining from that team (Barrett). I therefore don't see possibly how it can be a case of complacency, running out of ideas or players no longer listening. If anything, that says to me he needs a lot more time before this even comes up for discussion.

What my years of following Southend has taught me is the impotance of stability and continuity.

We've lost Gower and Eastwood to better things, we've lost Prior, Sodje, Goater, Jupp and Maher to old age, Wilson is crocked.

What we need is Tilly to be given time to build a new team.

Patience, shrimpers, patience.

Tilson has completely rebuilt the title winning team. We have, I believe, just one player remaining from that team (Barrett). I therefore don't see possibly how it can be a case of complacency, running out of ideas or players no longer listening. If anything, that says to me he needs a lot more time before this even comes up for discussion.

What my years of following Southend has taught me is the impotance of stability and continuity.

We've lost Gower and Eastwood to better things, we've lost Prior, Sodje, Goater, Jupp and Maher to old age, Wilson is crocked.

What we need is Tilly to be given time to build a new team.

Patience, shrimpers, patience.

Disagree...our position at present is only partially due to lacking any strength in depth. Tilly has seriously misjudged the players we need and has played the market pretty poorly imho.
Surely not even the most staunch Tilson supporter can suggest he posesses any great tactical knowledge. We make the same mistakes every game, we are utterly clueless with the ball in posession, and the timing and choice of subsitutions are often unfathomable.

Time to ponder change. If we want to be a progressive club, we can't keep settling for the evil word 'consolidation'...or increasingly more likely...'relegation'.
I am as angry as Paul, but even in this current state, it is obvious to me that Tilly is giving Uncle Ron some decisions to make.

I've just got back home and I am still so angry at today's performance - I've spent a good hour and half discussing the Tilson situation with my mate who, like me, has been going to Southend since the early/mid 80's, so this is not someone who has jumped on the recent bandwagon.

I'm amazed to come back here and not see more vitriol. I'm also not at all surprised to read Tilly banging on AGAIN about bad luck, we were the better team etc.

I'm saying the position of manager of Southend has GOT to be up for discussion in the boardroom - even at a tentative stage.

Personally, in my opinion, its time for a change (for what its worth, my mate says stick for now, but he appreciates the arguments I have put forward).

That performance today smacked of a lack of any ideas, any passion and its my belief that Tilson has run out of ideas and the players know it.

Francis is AWFUL and I sincerely hope I never see him in a Blue shirt again - thats the final straw and its been coming for months. What on earth was the point of playing him wide right - I saw NO tactical benefit whatsoever, its not as if he was in to double up on Johnson with Sankofa as that never happened (Johnson wasnt really the threat either).

McCormack is a shadow of his former self and too many players in our side are playing below par as they know they are almost undroppable. The 1st goal was a joke piece of 'marking' by Barret. One bit of movement from O'Hanlon and Barret has lost his man completely - very poor.

I still believe this squad - even without the loan players - is in a false position and could perform so much better. Perhaps we aren't getting the best of luck at the moment, but that always happens to managers.

There will be the usual split of people on SZ now arguing this over - 90% in favour of Tilly no doubt - but I'm prepared to debate this out sensibly. If you believe he should stay, state a case and lets hammer it out.

I'm not prepared to keep shelling time and money out to watch ***** like that when I dont believe Tilson can turn it around.

Thoughts?

Good post. My main gripe with Tilly today was the reintroduction of Barrett. I know he's captain etc, but the defence versus Northampton looked as solid as its been all season with Francis and Clarke having there best games of the season (from what I've seen). I could understand bringing Harding back, in place of Herd who obviously lacks experience at this level, and playing him today would have been a risk. But to start Barrett, thus bringing him straight back into the side really doesn't send a positive message to the rest of the team IMO. And I'm a Barrett fan. But then to start Francis (centre half two days a ago remember) right midfield, completely baffled me. There was just no logic in the decision whatsoever.

Having said that, and going back to the original point of the thread, I'm certainly not wishing Tilson parts ways or gets the boot. My opinion being that I can't anyone else out there coming in and doing a job. Teams go though bad phases, and we're certainly in one at the moment. I really don't think RM will be thinking along the lines of changing manager also. And as fans, we should get behind the team and manager as much as possible, not getting on their backs. I've faith in the management team, and with January looming and still plenty of points to play for, we still could end up having a decent season.

Disagree...our position at present is only partially due to lacking any strength in depth. Tilly has seriously misjudged the players we need and has played the market pretty poorly imho.
Surely not even the most staunch Tilson supporter can suggest he posesses any great tactical knowledge. We make the same mistakes every game, we are utterly clueless with the ball in posession, and the timing and choice of subsitutions are often unfathomable.

Time to ponder change. If we want to be a progressive club, we can't keep settling for the evil word 'consolidation'...or increasingly more likely...'relegation'.
I am as angry as Paul, but even in this current state, it is obvious to me that Tilly is giving Uncle Ron some decisions to make.

Of course Tilson has tactical knowledge. Where are all the threads praising his astute substitutions on Boxing Day? He played an absolute blinder, yet I think only one person commented on it. I presume the reasons why he made the changes were too subtle for the rest.

I don't agree with everything you have said but I feel that time has come too.

We need a massive shake-up. Let it be new payers coming in, competition for places, a big kick up the backside or eventually its gonna have to change at the top with Tilly.

Im not saying Tilly should be sacked at all but many people seem to think once a manager has been at a club for a long time he is "unsackable" even when things really aren't right. Arsene Wenger being an example.

Some big, big changes need to be made in January or we WILL be dragged down the bottom. Look at the Hartlepool game for example, we go there and get tonked 3-0 and a week later Crewe go there and tonk them 4-1!

Last minute winners against average teams like Northampton at home says it all really.

Of course Tilson has tactical knowledge. Where are all the threads praising his astute substitutions on Boxing Day? He played an absolute blinder, yet I think only one person commented on it. I presume the reasons why he made the changes were too subtle for the rest.

To be fair, I thought more than that commented on the astuteness/bravery of it. The fact that he felt the need to immediately re-introduce Barrett is what's worrying me most in all this, Harding I can understand to some extent but not Barrett - captain or not.

Think that Tilly's hands are, and have been, tied by lack of funds from the Chairman. Whatever the reason there has been no money forthcoming and this is the result. Last year we were a good league one side, one that with investment could have pushed on to better things this time around.

So, as the likes of Flavs, Hunt, Maher, Bailey and Gower all left the squad became depleted and everyone knew that the squad that started the campaign was a mid-table side at best.
Tilly's loan signings worked well, but as Sawyer, HRK, Feds and Christophe returned to their clubs we found ourselves back to square one.

Is it fair that Tilly is expected to unearth loan signings that will take us up to the top of table? Surely his first choice loanees have come and gone and so we're now onto his second choice? Will Jan bring his third and fourth choice signings, which aren't going to be as good?

For me, he's got to stay. Without doubt. With financial backing he'll take us up the table. If the money doesn't come then my expectation of our capabilities from the current squad will lessen and therefore I'd expect us to finish up about where we are now and if the expectation of a play off finish isn't there then surely Tilly will hit the target of a mid-table finish?!

Tilly's a good manager, but he cannot work miracles.

I don't agree with everything you have said but I feel that time has come too.

We need a massive shake-up. Let it be new payers coming in, competition for places, a big kick up the backside or eventually its gonna have to change at the top with Tilly.

Im not saying Tilly should be sacked at all but many people seem to think once a manager has been at a club for a long time he is "unsackable" even when things really aren't right. Arsene Wenger being an example.

Some big, big changes need to be made in January or we WILL be dragged down the bottom. Look at the Hartlepool game for example, we go there and get tonked 3-0 and a week later Crewe go there and tonk them 4-1!

Last minute winners against average teams like Northampton at home says it all really.

A bigger shake up than completely overhauling the squad?

We have one player remaining from 3 years ago.

We lost our two most important players (Bailey and Gower) in the summer.

Of course we aren't challenging for promotion.

I can appreciate this example, but humour me by justifying the choice of tactics against Hartlepool, Leicester, Bristol Rovers and Walsall away.

What amazes me is that when we get throw-ons there is no movement by anyone to get in an open space. Surely they must practice this in training?

Thoughts?

Hard to argue with many of those points except

Francis is a good player but looks best at a centre back. He is good in the air, quick and doesnt need to worry about bombing up and down. I would like to see Tilly give him and Clarkey 3 games together.

Bringing back Barrett was a mistake no doubt, at total fault for the first goal.

Macca is not playing anywhere near his best and worryingly doesnt seem to be getting forward at all much. If Christophe and Sawyer sign he will be back on the bench though. I think the last few weeks have shown Tilly and Ron must do everything they can to get Sawyer on board.

But today and the last few weeks there has not been much inspiration on the field or off it. The same old tired excuses, poor substitutions, players being benched or dropped from the squad with no explanation, playing youngsters from other clubs instead of ours who look just as good.

But it does come to the question of who would replace him?

Think that Tilly's hands are, and have been, tied by lack of funds from the Chairman. Whatever the reason there has been no money forthcoming and this is the result. Last year we were a good league one side, one that with investment could have pushed on to better things this time around.

So, as the likes of Flavs, Hunt, Maher, Bailey and Gower all left the squad became depleted and everyone knew that the squad that started the campaign was a mid-table side at best.
Tilly's loan signings worked well, but as Sawyer, HRK, Feds and Christophe returned to their clubs we found ourselves back to square one.

Is it fair that Tilly is expected to unearth loan signings that will take us up to the top of table? Surely his first choice loanees have come and gone and so we're now onto his second choice? Will Jan bring his third and fourth choice signings, which aren't going to be as good?

For me, he's got to stay. Without doubt. With financial backing he'll take us up the table. If the money doesn't come then my expectation of our capabilities from the current squad will lessen and therefore I'd expect us to finish up about where we are now and if the expectation of a play off finish isn't there then surely Tilly will hit the target of a mid-table finish?!

Tilly's a good manager, but he cannot work miracles.

If lack of funds are the problem, feel free to exaplin to me why Scunthorpe and Millwall are doing so outstandingly well having spent next to nothing.

I really am starting to question whether is just time for Tilson to hold his hands up and say I have done what I can.

Though January will be the test for Tilson if he do not strengthen the squad we are buggered

I can appreciate this example, but humour me by justifying the choice of tactics against Hartlepool, Leicester, Bristol Rovers and Walsall away.

Haven't got time to reply at the moment, but what particular tactics are you wanting justified?

I really am starting to question whether is just time for Tilson to hold his hands up and say I have done what I can.

Though January will be the test for Tilson if he do not strengthen the squad we are buggered

Very rare that a manager will do that Scott, unless of course, they have genuinely had enough and can accept the inevitable sacking.
What I would appreciate is Tilly choosing his words a little carefully. As has been discussed countless times before...we all attend the matches week in, week out....we see what happens and what mistakes we are making...why then are we treated like idiots and served up the same spineless post-match tripe each week, often blaming everything but tactical approach and quality of play.

Haven't got time to reply at the moment, but what particular tactics are you wanting justified?

A simple round up of the approach to each game when goals were conceded...the lack of flexibility between home and away tactics and the resulting massive losses against mostly below average League 1 opposition.

Bad luck.

MK Dons, 2 attempts on target. 2 goals. Of those 2 goals one came from a corner that wasn't.

Southend, twice hit the woodwork, one off the line, good stop by the keeper.

Luck begets luck. We don't have any going our way at the moment and haven't for a couple of weeks. Confidence is clearly lacking and the team just isn't firing.

Tilson must know that it is not possible to run a team based on loanees. It brings too much chopping and changing. There is no stability. We need to invest in the coming weeks in permanent players who will not only steady the ship this season but also enable us to build a side good enough to fight for promotion next season.

If those transfers are not forthcoming, it would indicate to me a problem higher up the chain than Tilson.

Even so, Tilson has worked wonders for this club. And regardless of how you feel the last few weeks have gone, just remember what is like 5 years ago when he took over.

If lack of funds are the problem, feel free to exaplin to me why Scunthorpe and Millwall are doing so outstandingly well having spent next to nothing.

Where have Millwall been for the last few years? In terms of league success nowhere. As for Scunthorpe they have kept a lot of the team that got relegated from the Championship last year and mirroring our exploits of last year. Their only significant loss was Patterson who went to Burnley and we all know who's come in and replaced him!!
Tilly's worked wonders at Southend, but it can't go on for ever - especially with no money to spend. Last summer was the time to add to the squad and look to push on, but it didn't happen.

The problem isn't exactly with Tilson if you ask me...

The team had to be completely rebuilt at the beginning of the season. Nicky Bailey done the job of 2 midfielders when he played, surging forward but still being their at the back to break up play... Fact of the matter is we haven't got two midfielders who can do those tasks, let alone one. Christophe and Sawyer done them individually and we enjoyed our best spell of form when they were in the team, I find it to be no coincedence that we've failed to find any form at all since these two have departed.

Now, you can lay the blame at the players door. Macca has been simply awful in comparison to his former self since returning, Milsom offers very little and Anthony Grant needs someone capable beside him. The defence, even though only losing Mulgrew for Harding, has gone from bad to worse to abysmal and, if you ask me, is the sole reason we are struggling at the moment.

Alternatively, you can lay the blame at Tilson's door. It was painstakingly obvious that we needed additional players, especially in the middle to replace Bailey and Gower... yet it took us until September, yet again, to bring in players. Instead, we spent the summer pursuing Paul Furlong, who was replaced by Dougie Freedman and fell into the abyss with Richie Foran, never to be seen again. Tilson failed to bring in the players we needed over the summer and we've suffered massively because of it. Although, to a certain extent, Tilly has had his hands tied by a harsh economic climate and a stadium build on the horizon in desperate need of funding.

It's not just one thing, it's a series of events that have led to this. Unfortunately, this could all have been avoided with planning...

This season was always going to be a long, tough fight with a less than adequate squad, it's a little harsh to be asking for Tilson's removal when he's done a good job just to keep us in contention. Next season, however, is pivotal to our success and should we still be languishing, that's the time to ask questions about the management.

Last edited:
Back