• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steven Hammell

IANichols

Youth Team
I mentioned earlier I will only judge the new players after at least 10 games, cant be easy coming a long way, living in temporary digs and perform to your best.

Well this guy gets better and better, the last 3 games he has looked quality, assured first touch, gets tackles in, joins up well with Gower and strikes a sweet dead ball (another smashing free kick last night 2 inches over the bar)

When I read about all the Scottish Prem and Championship clubs were after him I thought it was the usual over hype but now I am starting to appreciate why.

Chrissie Powell (legend) was a brilliant left back for us but I think this guy has the potential to be just as good if not better

Ha ha, a positive thread an no one responds!

biggrin.gif

Maybe they're all still celebrating last nights result.

Seriously though, I totally agree with you. I think he has been excellent so far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 20 2006,07:59)]Ha ha, a positive thread an no one responds!

biggrin.gif

Maybe they're all still celebrating last nights result.

Seriously though, I totally agree with you. I think he has been excellent so far.
Perhaps because many people agree.
Stevie Hammell... our best signing of the summer?

(The Chrissy Powell bit might be a stretch, but I like your thinking).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (IANichols @ Sep. 20 2006,07:32)]I mentioned earlier I will only judge the new players after at least 10 games, cant be easy coming a long way, living in temporary digs and perform to your best.

Well this guy gets better and better, the last 3 games he has looked quality, assured first touch, gets tackles in, joins up well with Gower and strikes a sweet dead ball (another smashing free kick last night 2 inches over the bar)

When I read about all the Scottish Prem and Championship clubs were after him I thought it was the usual over hype but now I am starting to appreciate why.

Chrissie Powell (legend) was a brilliant left back for us but I think this guy has the potential to be just as good if not better
Ian, you'll be banned from Shrimperzone for being too positive. for e
tounge.gif

My Scottish nephews told me Hammell was class and said they were surprised he'd gone to us as he was so good (or words to that effect but you get the gist)

Granted i''ve only been to two games this season (sheff wed and Norwich) but in those games he looked assured, and comfortabke, and especially in the Norwich game, he was probably our best player.

He has one hell of a sweet left foot, manages to win headers with ease despite being often smaller than the guy he is marking (springs in his boots??) and has the great ability of being able to send great balls right along the line without them going out. If there is only one critisism it is his tendancy to drift a bit, but thats not always a bad thing.

His dead ball delivery standard reminds me of a certain Mr Harte from a few seasons back for Leeds

Only missed leicester away and i have to say how good he is, very composed yet to see him panic on the ball, set pieces very good, as pointed out earlier good in the air. Maybe a call from walter smith not a million miles away.

Totally agree mate - Chrissy was at the Hall for six years, so Hammell still has a way to go to beat one of the best players to pull on a blue shirt (IMHO), however he is doing the right things well.

Wonder if Walter Smith fancies a day out by the seaside? He do worse than call our number 18 up for the Sweaties...

I have been to every game so far and he has been fantastic.

I lose count of the amount of times I say well done Stevie in the course of a game. I really think he is classy player and I am delighted he is at the blues.

Long may it continue.

Dave
cool.gif

i think the sentiment of this thread should also be extended to Simon Francis. Thought his distribution was a bit dodgy in the early games but he seems to have sorted that out and has a decent understanding with JCR.
Also he managed to make some excellent runs into the Brighton box and looked good going forward all night

One thing Hammell gives us is balance and when you have a right-footed winger on that side who's always cutting in it's great to have a left-footed FB who can overlap at times and get to the line - Che being right-footed didn't do that very often.

He's been great and if he continues the way he's going he'll be one of the growing list of players who could probably make us a lot of money at some point in the future. To say he is potentially better than Chrissy Powell though may be stretching it somewhat - not taking anything away from Hammell but Powell was one of the top 3 players I ever saw in a Southend shirt. Let's wait and see.

I'm still not convinced by Francis' concentration but he certainly adds attacking vigour to the team.

Hammell, however, has impressed me hugely. He has been cuahgt out the odd time but you really notice it because he generally does the job seamlessly.

Probably one of the best parts of our team is the way we retain possession and both full backs are largely responsible for this because both look composed on the ball and both like to offer attacking options.

Oh, also Hammell's free kick v Norwich was amazing and his one last night wasn't too far off.

Another thing about him is that he gives Flavs another option with ball in hand. Numerous time he's bowled it quickly out to Hammell who runs with it and starts attacks, Che wasn't really comfortable in doing this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 20 2006,12:28)]Another thing about him is that he gives Flavs another option with ball in hand. Numerous time he's bowled it quickly out to Hammell who runs with it and starts attacks, Che wasn't really comfortable in doing this.
Agreed - but that comes from having a naturally right-footed defender playing on the left.

a fantatic match for the jock. he was flattened in the 1st half but got up & played on . i was very impressed with him. is he under 21 & does he have any caps ? we are looking to have a winning back 4. great heart & attacks !

Back