• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Steven Reid is keen to be the next Southend United boss

Yes Please. As i have said before Sol was appointed.
Steven Reid is the man for Southend United.
Ticks all the boxes.

Decent candidate, but is he a better appointment than Fagan?

I don’t think so, not on paper at least.

Decent candidate, but is he a better appointment than Fagan?

I don’t think so, not on paper at least.

If he got that over Fagan I could imagine he wouldn’t be too happy about it and be gone at the first chance. I wouldn’t blame him either.

He got better CV and massive contracts at his old clubs like of Reading/Millwall/WBA to get players on loans.

Guys. Ron Martin has said he will hire someone that cares about the club, and not someone who wants a Managers job, as they are ten a penny. So unless some amazing name comes along on the cheap, it's going to be the likes of Barrett, Maher, Fagan, Tilly, etc.

This is Ron Martin we are talking about though.

Guys. Ron Martin has said he will hire someone that cares about the club, and not someone who wants a Managers job, as they are ten a penny. So unless some amazing name comes along on the cheap, it's going to be the likes of Barrett, Maher, Fagan, Tilly, etc.
Didn’t he also say he wants someone young, so that would rule Tilson out.

I took it personally that he was saying that he wants some one who is committed, someone who will live and breath the job and will care while he is doing it, not specifically someone who has an association with the club.

Last edited:

I took it personally that he was saying that he wants some one who is committed, someone who will live and breath the job and will acre while he is doing it, not specifically someone who has an association with the club.

Yep, all of that.

I took it personally that he was saying that he wants some one who is committed, someone who will live and breath the job and will care while he is doing it, not specifically someone who has an association with the club.

I felt it was more a dig at Sol and perhaps Bond rather than as you say, a set check list where all boxes must be ticked...

I felt it was more a dig at Sol and perhaps Bond rather than as you say, a set check list where all boxes must be ticked...
It could have been and probably was, but just saying how i took it personally as he wants all or some of those things in the next person. I doubt he will get them all but if all but one box is ticked......

Last edited:
If he got that over Fagan I could imagine he wouldn’t be too happy about it and be gone at the first chance. I wouldn’t blame him either.

Possibly.

But again, I can’t see how Reid is any better a candidate than Fagan, so I think it’s a non starter

Isnt this the reason Kev Maher left in the first place and we were all in uproar over it?

Bright young enthusiastic Internal staff overlooked for a bigger name who had contacts?

Possibly.

But again, I can’t see how Reid is any better a candidate than Fagan, so I think it’s a non starter
To me the only big difference between Reid and Fagan/Maher/Barratt is that one of the latter three would obviously and believably meet Ron's stated criteria of someone passionate about and committed to the club. If he didn't mean this bit then Reid would probably be as qualified as the other three. I don't buy any of the contacts for loans bit- never paid any dividends in the past- remember all the great loanees PB was going to get through Sam A (not...)

Possibly.

Of the 3 (Reid, Fagan and Maher, could add Barrett as well) none have experience of being a number 1, they all have a decent background with youth age groups and for some as a first team coach, so none are better than the other at this rage i would guess, so he isnt any better than Fagan and Fagan isnt any better the Reid or Maher etc.

It will come down to cost, Fagan will be cheap as he is here, Reid cant see the compo being to much if any as he is with the Scottish national team i believe, the others will have some compo involved.

Personally I think it will be Fagan, but on cheapness guess Reid has a chance

I don't buy any of the contacts for loans bit- never paid any dividends in the past- remember all the great loanees PB was going to get through Sam A (not...)

or the contacts Kevin Bond was going to have through someone, to get good loans and signings ?

Back