• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Steven Reid is keen to be the next Southend United boss

Any appointment is doomed to fail until we get a decent CEO and structure in place. Spinner was spot on re this in his recent interview with CP

How many times will Ron screw it up by failing to learn this basic lesson?

Sort the CEO first.

Didnt RM say in a recent interview he had a CEO lined up but wanted to wait until everything was sorted re season end etc, maybe thats delayed now till everything is sorted re the re financing

He got better CV and massive contracts at his old clubs like of Reading/Millwall/WBA to get players on loans.

How has Reid got a better cv than Fagan? And he has no connection with Southend. Reid is untried as a manager in his own right and in that circumstance the club knows far more about Fagan than it does about Reid.

Last edited:
To me the only big difference between Reid and Fagan/Maher/Barratt is that one of the latter three would obviously and believably meet Ron's stated criteria of someone passionate about and committed to the club. If he didn't mean this bit then Reid would probably be as qualified as the other three. I don't buy any of the contacts for loans bit- never paid any dividends in the past- remember all the great loanees PB was going to get through Sam A (not...)

Of the 3 (Reid, Fagan and Maher, could add Barrett as well) none have experience of being a number 1, they all have a decent background with youth age groups and for some as a first team coach, so none are better than the other at this rage i would guess, so he isnt any better than Fagan and Fagan isnt any better the Reid or Maher etc.

It will come down to cost, Fagan will be cheap as he is here, Reid cant see the compo being to much if any as he is with the Scottish national team i believe, the others will have some compo involved.

Personally I think it will be Fagan, but on cheapness guess Reid has a chance

Well, there are a few obvious reasons that Fagan has more credentials for the role, which you’ve both missed out.

Let’s start with the fact that he knows the squad. He’s worked with the youngsters who now make up our first team. He understands their limitations, knows how and where to play these kids, how to get the best out of them, and how they need to be mentored moving forward.

He also knows where we need to strengthen this summer, which as far as transfer windows go, is as important as any window we’ve ever had before.

And you can’t forget the fact that he knows the club. He knows the situation with the training ground. More importantly, he knows Ron. How many potential targets have been put off in the past, due to our club’s reputation with finances? It’s common knowledge that we have a points deduction lingering over our head, and Fagan knows full well the hiccups that could occur in the coming season.

And yet, he still wants the job. That means he’s either committed to the club, or he himself needs to be committed.

But above all of that, the absolute main thing that you’ve overlooked, is the fact that these youngsters genuinely want to play for Fagan. They like him. They respect him. They enjoy his tutelage. And they will run through brick walls for him. The same (for now at least) cannot be said about Reid.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Reid, and if he did end up taking the hot seat, he’d get my support without doubt. But as it stands, he is just any other manager coming into the fold, having to start from scratch. He’d be jumping in head first and learning on the job, which could take months for him to get up to Fagan’s level of familiarity & understanding.

I agree that with regards to management levels, they’re probably on par with each other. They’ve both had decent playing careers, both learnt from good managers, and have built decent reputations for themselves in their respective coaching positions.

But Fagan, as it stands, does have a significant edge over Reid, and probably AB too for that matter.

His main rival for the job right now, IMO, is Maher. And the fact remains, that appointing Maher would mean Ron parting with some dosh, which makes it seem unlikely.

What we know for fact is, the players should be returning to pre-season next week, and they still haven’t had any fitness plans laid out for them yet. They are in danger of falling behind already.

Ron needs to stop dithering, and crack on with this appointment - whoever it may be - in order to give us the necessary time to get the preparation & pre-season work, right.

The consensus amoung us fans over the last 18-months is that we held on to Powell for too long, then we held on to Bond for too long, and then we didn’t appoint Sol quick enough. Dither, dither, dither, at every turn.

We cannot afford to hang around for this upcoming season. That’s just a fact.

He got better CV and massive contracts at his old clubs like of Reading/Millwall/WBA to get players on loans.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again.. our last two managers have had connections to the likes of Arsenal.. neither of them used them to get us loan players so this notion that hiring Reid because he has mates at some pretty average football clubs makes little sense.

Forget about a CEO for quite a while. They haven't even got money for the basics.

What's happened to this magical "re-finacing" then? Because it was on the understanding that money to pay the HMRC bill AND to keep the club running for at least next season was forthcoming, that the winding-up hearings have been deferred. If firm evidence of that funding/re-finacing being in place ain't put forward on 22nd July, it's curtains.

Well, there are a few obvious reasons that Fagan has more credentials for the role, which you’ve both missed out.

Let’s start with the fact that he knows the squad. He’s worked with the youngsters who now make up our first team. He understands their limitations, knows how and where to play these kids, how to get the best out of them, and how they need to be mentored moving forward.

He also knows where we need to strengthen this summer, which as far as transfer windows go, is as important as any window we’ve ever had before.

And you can’t forget the fact that he knows the club. He knows the situation with the training ground. More importantly, he knows Ron. How many potential targets have been put off in the past, due to our club’s reputation with finances? It’s common knowledge that we have a points deduction lingering over our head, and Fagan knows full well the hiccups that could occur in the coming season.

And yet, he still wants the job. That means he’s either committed to the club, or he himself needs to be committed.

But above all of that, the absolute main thing that you’ve overlooked, is the fact that these youngsters genuinely want to play for Fagan. They like him. They respect him. They enjoy his tutelage. And they will run through brick walls for him. The same (for now at least) cannot be said about Reid.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Reid, and if he did end up taking the hot seat, he’d get my support without doubt. But as it stands, he is just any other manager coming into the fold, having to start from scratch. He’d be jumping in head first and learning on the job, which could take months for him to get up to Fagan’s level of familiarity & understanding.

I agree that with regards to management levels, they’re probably on par with each other. They’ve both had decent playing careers, both learnt from good managers, and have built decent reputations for themselves in their respective coaching positions.

But Fagan, as it stands, does have a significant edge over Reid, and probably AB too for that matter.

His main rival for the job right now, IMO, is Maher. And the fact remains, that appointing Maher would mean Ron parting with some dosh, which makes it seem unlikely.

What we know for fact is, the players should be returning to pre-season next week, and they still haven’t had any fitness plans laid out for them yet. They are in danger of falling behind already.

Ron needs to stop dithering, and crack on with this appointment - whoever it may be - in order to give us the necessary time to get the preparation & pre-season work, right.

The consensus amoung us fans over the last 18-months is that we held on to Powell for too long, then we held on to Bond for too long, and then we didn’t appoint Sol quick enough. Dither, dither, dither, at every turn.

When I said one of the latter three of Fagan/Maher/Barratt would obviously and believably meet Ron's stated criteria of someone passionate about and committed to the club I meant anyone of them including Fagan. So no problem for me if it’s Fagan.

GBJ, I think you have made a very strong and persuasive case for appointing Craig Fagan. Let's hope the Chairman reads your analysis and takes decisive action to make it happen very soon.

Fagan has always made most logical sense due to knowledge of the players and being relatively cheap. The fact Ron hasn’t announced him yet suggests to me he sees Fagan as a probable but a plan B. Let’s hope he’s on one knee to Maher or Barrett (both of whom currently have jobs at higher division clubs) ..and not flirting shamelessly with someone else again.

Fagan has always made most logical sense due to knowledge of the players and being relatively cheap. The fact Ron hasn’t announced him yet suggests to me he sees Fagan as a probable but a plan B. Let’s hope he’s on one knee to Maher or Barrett (both of whom currently have jobs at higher division clubs) ..and not flirting shamelessly with someone else again.

Maybe on this occasion the Chairman should be listening to senior people within the club rather than getting outside advice from the likes of Harry Redknapp or David Webb.

For the record i never said he dint have more credentials for the role. I was just saying on paper they have. No number 1 experience and have both coached at younger age groups etc.

I also did say I personally think it will be Fagan.

Just as a thought.....I wonder if Ron has had any trips to Holland lately?

I know he is accused of dithering but that was the reason last time.

Fagan for me , he can hit the ground running having had relationships with all players for a few years, he sounds like he has all the credentials and is local , youngish and loyal thus far .

Sol got all the plaudits for playing the youngsters but Fagan probably gave him the heads up on who could be trusted in stepping up to the first team

What's happened to this magical "re-finacing" then? Because it was on the understanding that money to pay the HMRC bill AND to keep the club running for at least next season was forthcoming, that the winding-up hearings have been deferred. If firm evidence of that funding/re-finacing being in place ain't put forward on 22nd July, it's curtains.
I think July 22nd is a key milestone for every other action that needs undertaking
Get it Out of the way and there is way ahead albeit slippery and dodgy
Failure to settle or even deferment will surely mean a complete statement about our future
Fingers crossed folks it’s going to be a choppy crossing ??

Apologies, I've read a few times now about the 'situation with the training ground' ...I''ve obviously missed something, what is the situation ?

Back