• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steven Reid

As I said on another thread if Ron wants a very talented, highly regarded young coach, currently looking to make the step up, and doesn't mind them having no connection to the club, then he probably should look no further.

And we are led to believe he has applied. Lives relatively near as well- near Epsom racecourse.

Would be very important to get someone like Fagan along side him for succession planning though. If Reid did well, with his coaching background he's going to be quickly on the radar.

Reading that above ,he does sound like he will make a good manager,perhaps him and Fagan would make an ideal pairing for Southend ,should we be able to afford both and they are both young and keen to make a name for themselves .Yeah i like the idea of them both.

Reading that above ,he does sound like he will make a good manager,perhaps him and Fagan would make an ideal pairing for Southend ,should we be able to afford both and they are both young and keen to make a name for themselves .Yeah i like the idea of them both.

What happens if Reid and Fagan have totally opposite views on how to play the game? Doesn't always work throwing two together.

What happens if Reid and Fagan have totally opposite views on how to play the game? Doesn't always work throwing two together.

The assistant does what the manager says, or he goes. Simple really.

Im sure if both offered the opportunity they would themselves talk to each other and work out a stragety that suits both of them,and the players they have.

Managers choose their assistants not chairmen. They may agree to work with someone but only if it suits them. The relationship is too close for it to be one that doesn’t fit

Managers choose their assistants not chairmen. They may agree to work with someone but only if it suits them. The relationship is too close for it to be one that doesn’t fit
Not always, the main example i can find is that Van Gaal had to have Giggs when at united, There are other situations where this has arisen too. Wether it is successful is debatable but it does happen quite often, not always as an assistant manager but coaches etc As well

When PB came he kept Coughlan (a very good call) because he already knew the players, their characters, their strengths and weaknesses. He said he found this invaluable. An example of it working and providing positive continuity.

For an example of the opposite I guess we can remember Luggy being given Tommy W.

Not always, the main example i can find is that Van Gaal had to have Giggs when at united, There are other situations where this has arisen too. Wether it is successful is debatable but it does happen quite often, not always as an assistant manager but coaches etc As well

Not sure how long Giggs lasted.....

mourhino definitely wasn’t being told who to work with...so maybe Van Gaal was happy to work with Giggs which was kinda my point?

you can’t just suggest two good names and chick them together just because individually they both have something to offer.

the manager will always have the final say. He may well want to work with that person or see it as a good fit, but it will be his decision not forced on him

I'm sure it will be Fagan just the cheaper option, I very much doubt anyone from outside the club will be attracted to the club when they meet Martin and hear there's no money in the kitty a transfer embargo which has been said will be paid soon but will have to wait and see

Not sure how long Giggs lasted.....

mourhino definitely wasn’t being told who to work with...so maybe Van Gaal was happy to work with Giggs which was kinda my point?

you can’t just suggest two good names and chick them together just because individually they both have something to offer.

the manager will always have the final say. He may well want to work with that person or see it as a good fit, but it will be his decision not forced on him
Giggs was their as long as van gaal and he could have stayed under JM but wanted the assistant manager role and he was offered a coaching role.

But my main point was that it happens more than people think, where someone is told you need to have this person on your staff.

Giggs was their as long as van gaal and he could have stayed under JM but wanted the assistant manager role and he was offered a coaching role.

But my main point was that it happens more than people think, where someone is told you need to have this person on your staff.

that is my point. Van Gaal was happy to work with Giggs. It suited him to have someone there who knew the club and the league. He wasn’t told to keep him or paired up with him as some kind of fantasy dream team.

mourinho didn’t need him. He has his own men and he knows the league already so see you later! However it was flowered up, Jose did t want or need Giggs there.

that happens a lot more!

that is my point. Van Gaal was happy to work with Giggs. It suited him to have someone there who knew the club and the league. He wasn’t told to keep him or paired up with him as some kind of fantasy dream team.

mourinho didn’t need him. He has his own men and he knows the league already so see you later! However it was flowered up, Jose did t want or need Giggs there.

that happens a lot more!
No Man Utd insisted he stayed after being caretaker manager, that was all out there during the Euros when Sky sports were chasing Van Gaal all over the place to get an answer from him. Utd’s aim was to have Giggs take over long term (so maybe a dream team do not know the workings Or thinkings of Utd’s hierarchy) but it didnt work out that way.

It suited PB to keep GC as well as it shows the merits. As for someone coming in from outside if I were Ron then I would say CF stays as part of your team for the reasons he knows th players etc.

Not all clubs allow managers to bring in their whole back room team, it just isn't financially viable at times, sometimes you do just sack the manager.

Managers prefer their own team for sure but some clubs will always say that isnt possible you can have 1 or 2 but not everyone

So Man U insisting he stayed maybe indicates why Van Gaal wasn’t successful and didn’t last?

with PB and GC, if it suited PB then it wasn’t the clubs decision it was one that worked for both parties but ultimately the manager?

So Man U insisting he stayed maybe indicates why Van Gaal wasn’t successful and didn’t last?

with PB and GC, if it suited PB then it wasn’t the clubs decision it was one that worked for both parties but ultimately the manager?
I cant say that, dont think anyone can, what I was saying was it happens more often than people realise. In my ind LVG didnt succeed due to poor signings, poor tactics and outdated methods (although he did win the FA Cup).

I again cant say it was the clubs decision, but GC didnt leave when Sturrock did so the assumption I am making is they said to PB can you keep him on the staff. PB bought in Dave Penney as assistant and then promoted GC to that role when Penney left

Not being argumentative just pointing out it happens and the club could say to anyone coming in (if it isnt Fagan) keep him and use him with the first team as it does happen.

Don't know- but it is true that Ron sacked Luggy but not Coughlan. And he knew at that PB was Luggy's replacement at that point. Maybe Ron said I want you to see if it works with Coughlan as your number 2. Maybe PB suggested it. Who knows but it made a lot of sense to see if they clicked and provided continuity.

I cant say that, dont think anyone can, what I was saying was it happens more often than people realise. In my ind LVG didnt succeed due to poor signings, poor tactics and outdated methods (although he did win the FA Cup).

I again cant say it was the clubs decision, but GC didnt leave when Sturrock did so the assumption I am making is they said to PB can you keep him on the staff. PB bought in Dave Penney as assistant and then promoted GC to that role when Penney left

Not being argumentative just pointing out it happens and the club could say to anyone coming in (if it isnt Fagan) keep him and use him with the first team as it does happen.

I suspect it's also often the case at our level that managers are told there isn't the budget for further staff changes and they'll need to work with what is there.

Back