• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Stevenage 0-0 Southend United

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
You know what to do.

A point isn’t good enough, but at least we’ve kept a clean sheet.

Two rubbish teams, we just edged it I think and a win would’ve been huge. It’s not a defeat.....that’s a positive I guess. It’s going to be a long hard winter and again, we can’t win if we don’t score. We should’ve won 2-0 or 3-0 today.

We should have won that game. A point isn’t good enough unfortunately. You have to feel the difference between 1 and 3 points is the fact the embargo wasn’t lifted. Surely Akinola/new target man would have been able to put away at least one of those chances.

Macca was excellent. By far the best player on the pitch. A shame he won’t be available for 90 minutes every game.

Stevenage are absolutely ****. I have no doubts they’ll be joining us in the National League next season.

Said it last week and I'll say it again now, another solid day for Hobson. Dieng also looked good alongside him.

Macca fantastic, just wish he backheeled that chance at the death.

We really should have won that game, not that we'll be in with a shot of staying up, but if we are and we lose out by a few points you'd have to come back and look at today.

Sounded as though we edged it, and had more opportunities to finish them off. One point really isnt enough, but a point and a clean sheet can only be a positive! Its the final third, the business end, where we need dramatic improvements. If we can suddenly find some shooting boots somewhere, there is a potential for us to start stringing a few results together!

If we had someone that could shoot we'd be somewhat competitive, we're definitely creating more chances than we were at the start of the season, there's just no one that can put them away.

I thought defence played well today BUT were up against a very poor side. Macca was immense and played with so much heart. If only all our players played with such desire. Acquah and Goodship; both dire, not good enough for our team and division. As to Taylor's performance - the worse I have seen in many many years. Only Andre Blackman comes close.

Defensively a bit of credit is due, but not scoring against the 2nd worst team in the division was concerning. Having said that, just checked and Stevenage strangely have the 4th best defensive record in the league. So a draw probably is the fair conclusion.

Oxley - 7 - Kept a clean sheet, a lot better now he just boots it long.
Bwomomo - 7 - Played his part in the clean sheet.Didn’t offer an enormous amount further forward, but he didn’t really have a lot to work with.
Dieng - 7 - Solid. Not a fan of him playing deeper but was tidy enough.
Hobson - 7 - In fairness to the lad he’s improved as the seasons gone on. Still isn’t great but played a key role in clean sheet.
Kyps - 6 - Good defensively but lazy in terms of getting forward.
Taylor - 3 - Did nothing.Should’ve been sent off. Not only do I not rate him but he may be brain dead. Half of me never wants to see him play again the other half feels sorry for a young lad who’s in a tough situation.
McCormack - 8 - legs are clearly gone but experience and quality is telling. Loved the bollocking he gave Kyprianou. Our MOM. Should’ve got us a goal at the end and he’ll kick himself for that
JD - 7 - Our best player overall this season. Good enough for any team in this league. Works hard. Not sure his game is being the one to create something though, but certainly battles well in that midfield.
Olayinka - 6 - Quiet. Least I’ve noticed him.
Goodship - 4 - Offers nothing. Misses chances. Barely ever in the right place. And he’s a total wuss to go with it. Hate to criticise players, I’m sure he’s a nice bloke. But he’s not one you’d take into the trenches. Fed up of talking about him.
Acquah - 5 - Does his best but isn’t good enough yet. He has a chance for a future in the game though.

Subs
Egbri - 7 - The lad makes me smile. Not the best player but he’s great at pressing. Could’ve/should’ve scored. Would start him over the other forwards! Would actually like to see him as a 10 or centre forward as his pace causes teams problems.

MM - mixed feelings about today. Looking at the starting line up I thought we’d lose. On reflection we were the better team and to do that with this team deserves credit. Not too sure about his selection and time but atleast he’s learning the teams limitations.

That’s the worst team we will play this year and we drew. What does that tell us?
Don’t want to talk about Ron but the fella must have incredibly thick skin to be able to sit in his position and work the way he does.

We are run like a non league club, hence why we’ll soon be a non league club. Completely tin pot!

Oxley 7
Bwomono 7
Dieng 7
Hobson 8
Clifford 6
Taylor 5
Demetriou 6
Olayinka 6
McCormack 8 MOTM
Goodship 5
Acquah 6

Kyprianou 6
Egbri 6

2 points dropped today, Stevenage did not have a shot on target and we did our best not too either. Very solid defensive display, shout out to Hobson & Dieng (Mr Versatility). But Alan McCormack you legend, should be captain, ran the midfield and showed he had more left than Demi who is 4 years younger. Real box to box Midfield General, forgiven for not trying the back heel near the end.

Back