• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Stevenage 0-0 Southend United

I think it's crucial that the embargo be lifted in the next 2 weeks. If so, I still see a path out of relegation for us. It won't be easy, might go down to the wire. However. still too many games left. Still too many poor teams in this division. Need just a couple of experienced, attacking, goal scoring players to compliment some of the attacking build up play we are currently creating. If the embargo is in place for longer than that. I think we'll be down.

I think it's crucial that the embargo be lifted in the next 2 weeks. If so, I still see a path out of relegation for us. It won't be easy, might go down to the wire. However. still too many games left. Still too many poor teams in this division. Need just a couple of experienced, attacking, goal scoring players to compliment some of the attacking build up play we are currently creating. If the embargo is in place for longer than that. I think we'll be down.

Five decades ago when Southend got promoted from the old Fourth Division, the then manager, Arthur Rowley, was asked what was the turning point in the season. His reply was surprising. Rowley said it was a drab 0-0 draw with Exeter City that demonstrated the team had resilience. While promotion is not on the cards this season (survival would be nice), I am wondering whether Southend has turned a corner after their 0-0 draw at Stevenage.

Last edited:
nasty league 2 game...

i think some of our young players were targeted by Stevenage -

I note all the noise about concussion in the papers still means young Taylor plays on after a head injury - (and then gets stick rom our "supporters") .. note Olyanka got wiped out and they managed to keave something on Elvis about 3 times.

Good to see Macca getting into the ref.

Goodhip jumped out of tackles amd missed his chance ...

Oxley - just does not read the ball - one cross actually bounced onthe six yard line ..

Elvis - earnt his dough

Hobosn - did well .. beginning to look the part

Dieng - up front last week - cetre back this week

Clifford - ouch -kyps - did fine

Macca - good stuff

Demi - quiet efficient

Olyanka - battered

Taylor - battered

Goodship - this level is beyond him

Emile - if you play in to his feet he does ok .. not an arial threat

- Egbi ... good impact

todays "tactics" were getting Ox to boot it long down the middle ...

the bar is in his division is very low and i think MM has made mess of it.

sure its a difficult situation but he has made dreadful mistakes and keeps on making more.

every week ...

The weak links in that performance were Goodship , Acqua, Kyps and Taylor. They really are not good enough for this level. Other than these most of the rest of the squad are comfortable enough for this division. The embargo is killing us.

Kyps really??? Must have been watching different games to me. He isn't spectacular but certainly hasn't let us down. Elvis on the other hand at times has been woeful

If we had someone that could shoot we'd be somewhat competitive, we're definitely creating more chances than we were at the start of the season, there's just no one that can put them away.
I would be tempted to put egbri up front, he draws a lot of fouls and would probably get us some penalties, probably the most likely way we would score

Where to start. Didn't run - walked around. Didn't harry Stevenage. Didn't win a header. Kept passing - to the opposition. Can't control the ball. Missed a sitter. Should have been sent off for being an idiot.
But apart from that he did okay?
To be honest you seem to have described the project and the process, perfectly.

I'm taking a lot of positives from that game - a clean sheet; a much improved defence, especially the central pairing of Hobson and Dieng; Demi playing the ball forward more than once and Macca dictating things in the middle of the pitch and lasting a full match.

Some of them probably won't have warmed to Macca, but we need someone out there who's going to do the dirty stuff - bawl them out if they deserve it, and encourage equally when they need it. Not to mention winning fouls in good positions just by using his nous.

I thought it was a fair gamble to use Taylor up front, he's got background there after all. However, for me, it was a gamble that failed to pay off. He didn't use his height particularly well - nor does Acquah - in fact, the best target man we have at the moment seems to be Dieng! He also didn't seem to be a winger. I thought he was unlucky to be caught up in a few incidents including the one we didn't see that ended up with him wearing the bandages round his head - off the ball with Coker? However, it was stupid to kick the ball away when a free kick had been awarded to Stevenage - he'd moved the ball every time they had a free kick anyway prior to that...and then pretty daft to promptly get caught up in another incident. Right decision to sub him, should have been done earlier in my book, Terrell's energy running at a tired defence which included Luke Prosser might have won us a penalty.

Thought there were some dirty tackles by Stevenage players and the ref was slow to react with cards. We had a few players hobbling off the back of dodgy tackling - Clifford the worst casualty.

Oxley - 7, thought he had a decent game, though he won't have many with less pressure. Couple of decent takes.
Bwomono - 6, still not back to where he was
Dieng - 7, Mr Versatile, and now Mr Dependable, wherever he seems to play
Hobson - 7, hugely improved, looked confident and assured
Clifford - 7, looked to be showing promise before he had to go off
Taylor - 5, not his best day
Demetriou - 7, a better game for Demi, much more positive
McCormack - 9, MOTM by a mile, this was the Macca of old, tackling, directing, getting in the ref's face, plus a couple of volleys one of which went agonisingly close
Olayinka - 6, not so obvious as in previous games
Goodship - 5, it's still not happening for him, but he was better than last week
Acquah - 6, can we not just borrow Barry Corr to teach him how to challenge for the ball in the air?

Subs:
Kyprianou for Clifford - 6, thought he did mostly ok when he came on, and he does like to get down the wing
Egbri for Taylor - 6, goes down too easily so the ref is not convinced, needs to learn from Macca about winning fouls

A final word about Ben Coker, one of my favourite players of recent years, and sad to see how much that injury at Sunderland has taken away from him. We had the best years of him.

Back