• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Stevenage 1 - 2 Southend United, Carabao Cup First Round

Man of the match?

• Bishop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bwomono

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Ralph

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Shaughnessy

• Lennon

• Milligan

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • McLaughlin

• Hutchinson

• Mantom

• Kelman

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • Cox

• White

• Blackman

• Robinson

• Total voters
I don't know what's more pleasing. Winning a game. Winning a league cup game, or young Charlie getting 2 goals.

Apart from the 1st half after they scored that was a pleasant evening out.
I like giving Mitchell Cole a nod of respect every time I walk past the Stevenage greats photo montage in the walkway to/from the station.

CHARLIE Kelman's second half brace saw Southend United record their first League Cup win since 2010 last night.

More...

Excellent evening in sub tropical Stevenage - haven't seen so much water taken on since the Flying Scotsman. Took my Man U supporting son-in-law (I know I shouldn't have let my daughter marry him, but he's a good chap).

Bishop - 8 - not sure if he could have done better for their goal, it was down the other end, but it was a nice height to save.
Elvis - 9 MOM - gave them twisted blood, had loads of space and used it well, great crossing, made the second with a peach of a cross
Shaunessy - 7 - great defensively, needs to up his passing. He got the ball 10 yards from half way. controlled it looked up then made a nothing pass to no-one, went out for a throw...
Lennon - 6 - couldn't see too much as he was only down t'other end. made some good clearances, went off injured
Ralph - 7 - quieter game (than Elvis), made some good headed clearances, did everything required
Macca - 6 - Started well, closed down the defenders, a couple of good crosses and shots, went off the boil, after which a couple of times didn't trap the ball and it went out
Hutch - 7 - Improving, didn't have a great game, but put a shift in, caused Steveo a few nervous moments
Milligan - 8.5 - Bossed the midfield, some lovely splayed passes
Mantom - 8 - Played very well, did the dirty work, closing down, spread the play well. Think he likes playing with Milligan, they can pass sideways to each other all night
Kelman - 8.99 - Quietish first half didn;t have many changes but, lots of running - closed down the defenders . Second half scored two corkers, what more can you ask.
Cox - 8 - Played a bit deeper today, especially in the second half, but was his usual excellent self

Subs
Theo - no rating - touched the ball once, muffed a clearance
Blackman - no rating - played on the wing did enough to use up some time
White - 8 - Did what he always does. Mr Dependable

Still haven't kept a clean sheet, but we won and are in to round 2

First 14 mins pretty good and put Stevenage under a lot of pressure. Sloppy defending and a good finish cost us a goal and our confidence was rocked. The likes of Kelman and Hutchinson were being bullied. Whatever was said at half time well what a difference. The whole team deserve credit and in particular Kelman and Hutchinson really played their part. Both goals were crafted brilliantly and expertly finished by Kelman

Stand out players for me were Bishop, Elvis, Ralph, Milligan, Macca and White. Mantom, Kelman, Hutchinson and Shaunessy much much better second half. Cox worked his socks off and was surprised he wasn't taken off and replaced with Saturday in mind

Also surprised Humphrys didn't get some game time, wonder if there is an issue there between Bond and him

So a decent night all in all and a deserved win but still huge improvements needed to be made to compete with Lincoln. Let's not kid ourselves, we beat a poor leagle two side tonight. Lincoln three wins and no goals conceded so far, but it's a start tonight at least

Just got home, can't really argue with Amwell's assessment. Just to add the following comments,

Bishop looks so confident in goal for a young lad, a couple of nice catches and comes off his line well. Ox may have to get used to sitting on the bench for a bit.

Elvis was superb tonight, looked so good going forwards and tidy at the back too.

Shaughnessy's distribution is shocking

Milligan is a very classy footballer, great addition to the side

Hutchinson needs to work on his tracking back and defending, he's a bit of a liability at the moment.

Macca's early shot needed to go in to give him some confidence, he's woefully out of touch at the moment.

Cox is the engineroom and heartbeat of this side, when he plays well so does the rest of the team. He was excellent tonight.

Charlie Kelman is still only 17, SEVENTEEN - what a player we might have on our hands here!

John White is Mr Dependable, if we'd started with him instead of Ridgewell on Saturday maybe we might have got something from the game.

I thought the game was crying out for Ndukwu to come on in place of Hutchinson with about 20 minutes to go. Not sure why he didn't get a run out tonight.

Overall a very pleasing performance tonight.

Just got home, can't really argue with Amwell's assessment. Just to add the following comments,

Bishop looks so confident in goal for a young lad, a couple of nice catches and comes off his line well. Ox may have to get used to sitting on the bench for a bit.

Elvis was superb tonight, looked so good going forwards and tidy at the back too.

Shaughnessy's distribution is shocking

Milligan is a very classy footballer, great addition to the side

Hutchinson needs to work on his tracking back and defending, he's a bit of a liability at the moment.

Macca's early shot needed to go in to give him some confidence, he's woefully out of touch at the moment.

Cox is the engineroom and heartbeat of this side, when he plays well so does the rest of the team. He was excellent tonight.

Charlie Kelman is still only 17, SEVENTEEN - what a player we might have on our hands here!

John White is Mr Dependable, if we'd started with him instead of Ridgewell on Saturday maybe we might have got something from the game.

I thought the game was crying out for Ndukwu to come on in place of Hutchinson with about 20 minutes to go. Not sure why he didn't get a run out tonight.

Overall a very pleasing performance tonight.
Not sure if they are often at games but Elvis' parents were there tonight. If they don't already they should make it a regular thing.

SOUTHEND United defender Harry Lennon had to come off with a head injury during the Shrimpers' 2-1 win at Stevenage tonight.

More...

oh dear - 3 goals for a league one team aged 17 ... ... I cannot think RM will be able to resist the cash for Kelman ...

Bishop 8 - little to do but came out and claimed a catch that Ox would have punched. Good game management too.

Elvis 9 - They couldn’t handle him and he used the space he was given to cause a real threat.

Ralph 8 - Another solid game especially going forward

Shaughnessy 6 - distribution poor and not as dominant in the air as I hoped he would be but solid enough

Lennon 5 - Looked uneasy and went off early

White 8 - when he came on seemed to give a sense of calm

Milligan 8 - Just class and pulls the strings

Mantom 6 - so so. Nothing great nothing bad

Macca 5 - was willing him to have a good game. Very bright at the start but little offered later

Hutchinson 6 - weak on the ball but at the end caused a tiring team some real worries

Blackman 7 - very lively when he came on - I was surprisingly impressed

Cox 8 - so much creativity when he came deeper and laid the ball off

Kelman 9 - two goals which is the job of strikers and worked hard

Theo 5 - not much time but a couple of chances to use his pace and just kicked the ball back to Stevenage.

if Drus gone after one decent season and one not so good season, Kelman will be gone by New Year at this rate. Well done lads.

Well seems i was right when i said if you never seen Milligan play you will be surprised .Great signing for a club like ours .

Wasn't at the game but from the highlights at least Macca looked like he was getting involved well in build-up play.

Back