• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Stevenage 1 - 2 Southend United, Carabao Cup First Round

Man of the match?

• Bishop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bwomono

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Ralph

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Shaughnessy

• Lennon

• Milligan

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • McLaughlin

• Hutchinson

• Mantom

• Kelman

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • Cox

• White

• Blackman

• Robinson

• Total voters
SOUTHEND United striker Charlie Kelman was happy to show he is not ‘a one hit wonder’ by scoring twice in the Shrimpers’ 2-1 win at Stevenage tonight.

More...

Woke up this morning in Naples, go on Twitter with the first bit of signal I’ve had in best part of a day and to my amazement.. we’ve won a bloody cup game. Imagine my shock, the flight home today doesn’t seem to bad now.

if Drus gone after one decent season and one not so good season, Kelman will be gone by New Year at this rate. Well done lads.

Yep. He scores 10 goals + in league 1 at 17 years old and he goes for big money.

My worry is that he isn't on a Dru like contract. If I were Ron Martin id be extending his contract, and quickly .

He has the potential in today's climate to make us a lot of money. Real money (ie) club record money.

To be fair, his injuries last season were unlucky - broken bones are hardly strains which might have been avoided.

Woke up this morning in Naples, go on Twitter with the first bit of signal I’ve had in best part of a day and to my amazement.. we’ve won a bloody cup game. Imagine my shock, the flight home today doesn’t seem to bad now.

You sound surprised, where did you fall asleep? ?

A gentle reminder that Elvis’ contract expires this season

I won a competition and had the choice of Elvis tickets or a cash prize. When I dialled the claims line, I got an automated message where I had two options

Press 1 for the money
2 for the show

Hopefully this will be the end of 3 at the back. Give Bond some credit learns from his errors the team looked better balanced and gives the youngsters a chance. Great work being done by Ricky Duncan.

Was in the Stevenage end and their fans were very impressed with Elvis.Really made right back his position now.Kelman took his goals very well.MK Don's at home give us a decent chance to make round 3 and hopefully a premier league side.

Kelman - 8.99 - Quietish first half didn;t have many changes but, lots of running - closed down the defenders . Second half scored two corkers, what more can you ask.

Subs
Theo - no rating - touched the ball once, muffed a clearance
Blackman - no rating - played on the wing did enough to use up some time
White - 8 - Did what he always does. Mr Dependable

Still haven't kept a clean sheet, but we won and are in to round 2

Would another 0.01 in your ratings be asking to much?

Would another 0.01 in your ratings be asking to much?

Well yes, but Elvis was magnificent the whole match, so just shaded it, so to answer my own question. I could have asked that he was magnificent the whole match :Smile:

A little jaunt along the A602 for me last night so I made the effort....

Stevenage is a decent little ground to be fair. I remember watching them in their Ryman league days!!! Last time I went it was three sided so good to see the work behind the goal nearing completion.

Wasn’t sure what to expect with team selection but given what was picked and how the subs were used KB is either very stubborn or very determined to make it very clear to people what he expects from them.....or both!

Bishop in for Ox was no surprise given that theirs a fag paper between them, but the back 4 (Elvis excepted), Milligan, Mantom, Cox all played when I half expected them to be rotated / rested ready for Saturday.....but looking at how his subs were used especially given that at half time it was far from perfect suggests to me that he took the game very seriously, wanted the season kick started and actually picked the side as the strongest he feels he has.....at the moment....

We started very bright. Kelman set the tone robbing them of the ball from kick off and it led to 5/10 mins of sustained high tempo pressure....however without a goal to show for it we then lost our way completely. Stevenage took control of the ball and territory and it became very difficult.

For those asking for a 442 you got your wish. However for those thinking it would cure all evils it highlighted to me why it’s outdated and no good for a team wanting to keep possession.

As Stevenage pressed we found it increasingly difficult to get out of our half as we were outnumbered in central midfield, our wide players ended up too deep and we had no way of playing around or through their press and repeatedly lost possession and were forced deeper and deeper and under more and more pressure. It was no surprise to me at all that we conceded when we did or how we did......a ball from front to back flicked on by Cox to no one, a slow reaction in midfield to see the danger, one pass forwards not cleanly intercepted by Mantom and a great strike gave Bishop no chance.

For the next 15/20 minutes we struggled to get any rhythm at all. Stevenage slowed the game down broke it up and made it as messy as they could. Milligan, Mantom, Cox couldn’t impact at all, both wide players drifted out the game after bright starts and we resorted to long balls up to Kelman who had no impact.

We did get back in it slightly as ht approached...Elvis was a constant threat as he took advantage of Hutchinsons willingness to drift inside and leave the wide area vacated for him to get forward (which was fruitful all night).... Cox and Macca combined brilliantly for a chance for Hutchinson, which was brilliantly blocked from close range....and we did at least finish the half the better side.

Second half was miles better...from the off. The trigger was a small tactical tweak by Bond which again highlights the small differences between systems and personnel....442 gave us no movement and no options...we were outnumbered. But credit Bond with seeing it because it was clear he asked Cox to drop deeper and for the wide players to get higher to make it a little more 4231 or even 433....this meant we matched up 3v3 in midfield and forced their wide players to defend deeper to avoid them being 3v3 at the back.

The results were obvious. Cox got on the ball more, Milligan and Mantom had someone to pass to and we had a way of playing out from the back and keeping possession. With no wing backs to contend with Elvis and Ralph got more of the ball and were able to get further forward to join the attacks and it ended up with those two players both assisting a goal each...

Elvis was our main outlet all night. Small amount of credit to Hutchinson’s movement here as he repeatedly dragged people inside without actually receiving the ball which gave Elvis acres of space to attack.

The two goals were exceptional. Elvis’s cross was just perfect but so was Kelmans movement. To say Toderov has had no input in the training ground is ludicrous. Yes it was part instinctive but it was also clear he’d been coached.....he delayed his run in order to come into the ball as opposed to getting their too early and standing still....he made his run between the two defenders but importantly stayed inside the goal posts instead of going too early and going beyond the near post meaning he’d have had to flick the header as opposed to attack it....it was a great goal.

The second one Ralph did brilliantly but importantly again, Kelman delayed his movement held his ground and as defenders went towards the ball and goal he stayed in the space allowing Ralph to just slide it back to him...again a cracking strike with sheer pace that beat the keeper.

From then on, apart from a couple of minor scares, I saw the shape and style KB wants. They couldn’t give us a problem because we had the ball!! We were patient we moved it around the pitch and grew in confidence. As we grew in confidence we saw that technically we have some very good players and as Stevenage got frustrated we found more space and created several good chances.

Bishop - Didn’t have a lot to do to be honest. He had no chance with the goal. His handling was excellent, dominates his area. I do think he could work on his distribution though....move the ball quicker and have more faith in Milligan who often wants the ankle and doesn’t get it.

Elvis - most peoples MoM and deservedly so. He got forward well made the most of the space made for him going forward and never looked exposed defensively.

Ralph - got better second half with the system tweak. Not as dominant in the air but not was anyone as Stevenage were massive and won most aerial duals.

Shaughnessy - this was his poorest game tbh. He constantly seemed to look like the ball was on his wrong foot...his body position and movement to receive always made a situation look awkward. However a last ditch block late on probably saved us from penalties!

White - rock solid and steady. Didn’t expect anything less and he showed why he is still at the club.

Milligan - not as influential as normal but again after ht he got on the ball more and did far better. He won numerous free kicks which allowed us time to regroup and settle down. A very clever player.

Mantom - Hmmmm....I don’t know....he covers ground he’s involved a lot but his choice of pass is shockingly bad....first half he wasn’t close enough defensively but tightened up second half.

McLaughlin - Started like a train and looked like someone who’d been told “perform or you’re done”! He looked energetic and determined and put in a couple of decent crosses but he did fade rapidly after the first 30 mins and struggled after that.

Hutchinson - He was wasn't as effective in possession as he was Saturday. He did defend better and put in one crunching tackle which earned a harsh yellow. He’s not really a winger but his movement inside allowed Elvis so much space outside him so it worked. He was maybe a little leggy from Saturday, but in his defence he puts in a real shift, he was denied a goal by a last ditch block, late on he gave them a problem with his pace and in transition to attack he travelled with the ball to relieve pressure a couple of times really well.

Kelman - My feelings on Charlie don’t change. He is potentially a top striker. This rubbish about playing him deeper as a 10 or out wide is ridiculous. He comes alive in the penalty area and for those that felt I judged his “wonder” goal harshly this is what I was after....evidence of him doing what good strikers so regularly...making good movement and finishing instinctively with one or two touches in and around the penalty box. This is what goalscorers need to hit the 20 goal a season mark....and last night both goals were top drawer. What I really like about him is his aggressive direct approach. He’s at his best when he plays with no frills and no over thinking.

However...I also repeat myself and say give the kid a chance. Don’t burden him with over hype and over expectations. Don’t get carried away with last night, equally don’t get critical of him like some did on Saturday or at Dagenham pre season! He’s a kid and he will be inconsistent.

I along with many others would maybe have expected him to come off last night either at half time or shortly after.....these are the fine lines for all players but particularly young ones....two mins into the second half the game and the night has changed for him and for Southend.

On to Saturday. Lincoln will be different altogether and I reckon KB will happily take a point (and a clean sheet ?) but I get the feeling that he’s very stubborn and doesn’t suffer fools.....so although I’d have expected Humphrys to come back in for a tough away game I think he may be the manager that says “you have the shirt.....keep it”.

Also looking at last nights side, I’m not sure at the moment if he has many options to change or improve on what was put there.....he’s clearly not convinced Ndukwu is ready yet....if Goodship is fit he may come in for Macca (who i still think is behind Hutchinson) and he may go with experience over Charlie but that would be a tough call after last night.

A much needed win and confidence boost. Hope we can continue into the weekend against much tougher opposition.

Cheers Grapevine (sorry, couldn't resist) for a detailed report for those of us unable to attend. Will be going to Lincoln on Saturday so look forward to seeing the new boys for the first time. Your report has set it up nicely. Expect Jack Payne and Cian Bolger will be fired up for this one.

Back