• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You mean the one where he gave their player a subtle push in the back?

:winking:

(I didn't see it at the time, but watched it again when I got home!)

Apparently the Stevenage fans were giving Timlin abuse for the clash of heads. Some people really do need an optician!

No worse than the morons at the back of our stand shouting abuse at their player whilst he was being treated for his injury.

Ironic that, in a match awash with fouls, the most serious injury came from a complete accident.

No worse than the morons at the back of our stand shouting abuse at their player whilst he was being treated for his injury.

Ironic that, in a match awash with fouls, the most serious injury came from a complete accident.

Agree all round. However, the only abuse of their player that I heard was really just to hurry them up with his treatment, i.e. impatience. What those idiots don't realise is that they were obviously seriously worried about his neck, and if he had done any damage to it.

They had to take their time, and ensure he was OK.

As you say, it really was ironic that the serious injury came from a complete accident. What I also find interesting is that we often have a go at footballers for being fairies and falling over at any given opportunity, but last night Timlin and Dembele showed that footballers are real men after all.

I seem to be the only one who thought that Timlin went in dangerously. He knew he was going to collide with their player, yet still went in hard with his head, without caring that that might actually cause serious, career-threatening injury (which is what a neck injury could have been).

I thought there were laws in the game about safety and reasonable force which Timlin's challenge last night overstepped.

Players get let off with the "accidental" line far too much. They'#re professionals, they know what they're doing and they're simply allowed to wipe players out then say "oops, I didn't mean it". Utter bollocks. It's just a free licence to spoil the game and intimidate skillful players out of entertaining the crowd with exciting football.

I seem to be the only one who thought that Timlin went in dangerously. He knew he was going to collide with their player, yet still went in hard with his head, without caring that that might actually cause serious, career-threatening injury (which is what a neck injury could have been).

I thought there were laws in the game about safety and reasonable force which Timlin's challenge last night overstepped.

Players get let off with the "accidental" line far too much. They'#re professionals, they know what they're doing and they're simply allowed to wipe players out then say "oops, I didn't mean it". Utter bollocks. It's just a free licence to spoil the game and intimidate skillful players out of entertaining the crowd with exciting football.

He went for the ball. He didn't see their player because he was looking at the ball. I watched it live, and watched it a few times when I got in. There was nothing malicious in it at all.

Not one of the paper reports I have read this morning say it was anything other than an accident.

The Independent:

Bira Dembele and Michael Timlin were involved in a sickening clash of heads during the League Two play-off semi-final first leg between Stevenage and Southend.

The pair clashed accidentally as they competed for a header.

The Fail:

Southend midfielder Michael Timlin and Stevenage's Bira Dembele were involved in nasty clash of heads during the League Two play-off game at The Lamex Stadium.
The pair were competing for a high ball and clashed heads with both players needing treatment for bloody injuries.
The incident was completely accidental with both players' eyes firmly fixed on the ball as they collided at speed.

The Mirror:

Southend United's Michael Timlin and Stevenage's Bira Dembele required 22 stitches between them after a sickening head clash during their League 2 first leg playoff clash on Sunday night.

The pair went up to challenge for a header, and suffered a high speed collision, leaving Timlin in particular with a huge gash in his forehead.

It was a completely accidental, innocuous incident, but left Timlin in no fit state to play with blood gushing from his head.

It was a 50/50 and he went in hard. It would be pretty embarrassing if all our team went in soft for 50/50 balls. It was an unfortunate accident but good to see him going in like that and I wish everyone in the team would go in with the determination and guts that he showed.

Yep, seems like it's just you (and a couple of others to be fair). I saw two guys whole-heartedly challenge for a 50-50 ball and smash heads together. In 99% of cases like this the impact zone on one or both of them would have been somewhere on the body, and no damage would have resulted.

I haven't had a chance to watch the recorded match yet but will be interested to see the "impact" on the goalkeeper that pole-axed him for minutes. I had a clear view of it, and it looked like our player's (Barry's) backside brushed the goalkeeper's shoulder as he pulled out of the challenge for the ball.

I certainly didn't see any sort of impact that would take a full-grown man out. Perhaps it was my shrimper-tinted specs though; can anyone enlighten me.

To be fair, that incident looked soft to us too but Chris Day isn't one to mess about, so it was very strange to see him go down. Always has been a model pro.

I haven't had a chance to watch the recorded match yet but will be interested to see the "impact" on the goalkeeper that pole-axed him for minutes. I had a clear view of it, and it looked like our player's (Barry's) backside brushed the goalkeeper's shoulder as he pulled out of the challenge for the ball.

I certainly didn't see any sort of impact that would take a full-grown man out. Perhaps it was my shrimper-tinted specs though; can anyone enlighten me.

It was Barry's bum, but he caught him on the side of the head and I don't think the keeper was faking the effect that it had.

Pretty much, yes.

It was Barry's bum, but he caught him on the side of the head and I don't think the keeper was faking the effect that it had.
Maybe he farted causing the 'keeper to go down as if with mortal injury! Frankly, it was embarrassing after what we'd just witnessed with Timlin and Dembele.

He was the best ref I've seen all season. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but boy that was one tough game to officiate and he did it admirally. He didn't let either side wear him down, he recognised the importance of the game and let players try and play only using cards when he had to. Neither side will have any complaints.

Yes,he didn't get anything badly wrong and was in control throughout,but I have to disagree with you,K. abut the cards.He gave most of them(there were 7)for ordinary run-of-the-mill fouls,usually only the first or second offence by the player concerned.There seemed to be a strong possibility that this could happen twice to the same player which could have ruined the game,as their team would probably have sat back and defended with ten men.

A somewhat short official who doesn't hesitate to produce cards if necessary but is right more often than wrong.

He has shown 171 yellows and 6 reds from 39 games. Yes, over 4 cards a match and way above average. Does this mean he is a card wielding maniac? No. He is allocated many high profile matches, many derbies and many televised matches. He is viewed as a very safe pair of hands.

He was the best ref I've seen all season. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but boy that was one tough game to officiate and he did it admirally. He didn't let either side wear him down, he recognised the importance of the game and let players try and play only using cards when he had to. Neither side will have any complaints.

Yes,he didn't get anything badly wrong and was in control throughout,but I have to disagree with you,K. abut the cards.He gave most of them(there were 7)for ordinary run-of-the-mill fouls,usually only the first or second offence by the player concerned.There seemed to be a strong possibility that this could happen twice to the same player which could have ruined the game,as their team would probably have sat back and defended with ten men.

He was everything I was expecting from him (unlike last week when it wasn't even the referee I was expecting!).

A very strong performance in an incredibly difficult match to referee.

I, too, thought some of his cautions were a bit arbitrary and I think they came because he thought the game needed a caution at the time rather than the nature of the particular foul. I think he was well aware who he had booked and kept all 22 on the pitch more by judgement than luck. (Although his cautions are nearing 200, his red card is rarely used.)

Thursday's referee usually has a very different style.

Maybe he farted causing the 'keeper to go down as if with mortal injury! Frankly, it was embarrassing after what we'd just witnessed with Timlin and Dembele.

He took a knock to the head, just because it didn't look as bad as an earlier incident doesn't make it "embarrassing". Sometimes it is those small ones that you need to be careful of because they can just be brushed aside as "nothing", but the effects could kick in later.

He took a knock to the head, just because it didn't look as bad as an earlier incident doesn't make it "embarrassing". Sometimes it is those small ones that you need to be careful of because they can just be brushed aside as "nothing", but the effects could kick in later.

It was right in front of where we were, it was a mere whisper of a knock!!!

It was right in front of where we were, it was a mere whisper of a knock!!!

I saw it on TV and it looked like McLaughlin's thigh (I thought it was him) caught him across the face, not intentional but just didn't get out the way in time and running at speed. He was lying down for about a minute and was hardly rolling around screaming in pain.

no not only one. I said Timlin clash seemed reckless last night

Back