• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Having seen us go out in the first round of the FA Cup AGAIN then I think the team will be stronger than many predict. There's £10k at stake for every win in this competition and Ron will be pressuring PB to get that money to partly make amends for Friday night.

Crowd could be very low. Stevenage had 400 for game against Brighton u23's. We might have around 100 there but crowd is going to be well below 1000.

I agree with the principle of giving a young raw striker a chance in a game like this. However, Williams is not that young now and has done nothing in his numerous opportunities this season to suggest he will progress. Do we have any other forwards from our youth set up who could benefit from a call up?

Alternatively how about trying McGlashan in a forward role alongside Cox? It may not work but worth a look as an alternative moving forwards.

What dont understand this question about the guy carrying to much weight, now i dont no if this is true or not, but if it is, this has been going on for a long time now. Most coaches in this timescale would surely have shown him the door by now.

People call akinfenwa and ex burton keeper stuart tomlinson fat and overweight. williams is in a similar boat, he is of a muscular build.

I agree with the principle of giving a young raw striker a chance in a game like this. However, Williams is not that young now and has done nothing in his numerous opportunities this season to suggest he will progress. Do we have any other forwards from our youth set up who could benefit from a call up?

Alternatively how about trying McGlashan in a forward role alongside Cox? It may not work but worth a look as an alternative moving forwards.

His pitch time this season

94 minutes in total.....what did you expect from him?.....his current stats this season are 0 goals in 1 appearance using the logic of 90 minutes football..hard to judge anyone on that pitch time.

94 minutes in total.....what did you expect from him?.....his current stats this season are 0 goals in 1 appearance using the logic of 90 minutes football..hard to judge anyone on that pitch time.

So assuming an average of 4 minutes extra time per game that is around 2 hours of football. In that time I would expect him to show that he can control the ball (even once would be nice), to show that he has the ability to find space, or to make runs that either take defenders with him or create space for himself.

I would also expect him to show that he has the pace to get past tiring defenders, or failing that show he has the strength to hold off defenders.

Mostly though given the relatively short times he has had I would expect him to show passion, willing, and a high work-rate.

So far he has not shown any of the above. Not too much to expect is it?

I really hope there are no 'scab' Southend fans going to this one. Keep the Checkatrade boycott going!

I really hope there are no 'scab' Southend fans going to this one. Keep the Checkatrade boycott going!

I'll be going, with a good group of lads. Lets hope Southend's most ignorant fan keeps up his boycott.

I doubt this format will last long, anyway, in truth.

There's little or no TV coverage and crowds are woeful. Whether that's to do with boycotts or the fact that playing someone's Under 21's is of little interest, anyway. Also, the Under 21 sides are getting beaten on a regular basis. Luton Reserves beat West Brom!

We'll probably look back on this at some point and regard it like the old Watney Cup or the Anglo-Italian Cup as some sort of distant past competition that had it's day.

In the meantime, if teams want to make a stand, they can do what Nathan Jones did and put the reserves out or like Bradford did and substitute the keeper after 45 seconds.

That said, as others have mentioned, it's actually a good chance to try out players in something slightly more competitive than a behind closed doors friendly.

Without the Checkatrade, Harry would have been unlikely to have played and scored at Bolton.

How can any true supporter of SUFC call for a boycott of a club he says he loves because he dosent agree with the Checkatrade format.By doing that he is only hurting the club. Thats like calling for a boycott of the club because he dosent agree that league one which we are in is called league one and not division 3 as it once was.I for one if i was living there would never boycott my club,yes i would make it known i dont agree with how the checkatrade is now, but surely by allowing clubs u/21s to play in it ,we are helping the developement of young english players, thats the only stipulation i would have put on it that all the clubs u21s that are playing in it only be allowed to field young english players.

Looking at the FAC attendances this weekend us Shrimpers are one of the few clubs that still take that competition serious. So who knows there may be other cups disappear in the future.

Nothing wrong with trying something different in this one, the TV were never interested apart from the final. I like the group format but agree they should be able to play whoever they like. Might get better if all the real big clubs enter a team.

It's simple. We are basically getting 10k for getting wins and keeping the team fit.

Gets a few youngsters some game time etc.

I doubt this format will last long, anyway, in truth.

There's little or no TV coverage and crowds are woeful. Whether that's to do with boycotts or the fact that playing someone's Under 21's is of little interest, anyway. Also, the Under 21 sides are getting beaten on a regular basis. Luton Reserves beat West Brom!

We'll probably look back on this at some point and regard it like the old Watney Cup or the Anglo-Italian Cup as some sort of distant past competition that had it's day.

In the meantime, if teams want to make a stand, they can do what Nathan Jones did and put the reserves out or like Bradford did and substitute the keeper after 45 seconds.

That said, as others have mentioned, it's actually a good chance to try out players in something slightly more competitive than a behind closed doors friendly.

Without the Checkatrade, Harry would have been unlikely to have played and scored at Bolton.

I quite like the group stage format as it is not necessarily all over after 1 game.

It would be far more interesting though to see the U23 teams replaced with National Conference teams. A chance to see some different teams and more in keeping with the ethos of the competition.

Good point 'Feathers'

Format wise, I didn't phrase that well. I was thinking more about the format of allowing U21 sides to participate.

I think the National League sides were in it once before.

My view is that they should combine the League Cup and Checkatrade Trophy and include all teams except Premier League sides that are in Europe and have a group format for the new League Cup, maybe even to include National League Sides.

Have 16 groups of six, say, with seedings and then a straight knockout after that and run it throughout the season. Regionalise the groups so our group would be, say : West Ham, Southend, Col Ewe, Orient, Fulham and Dagenham & Redbridge. Just an example. Guarantees five group matches and possibly decent crowds. The group matches could be played the same weeks as the Champions/Europa Leagues.

Then ensure the FA Cup has stricter rules on what sides can be put out and have a Champions League spot for the winners, rather than fourth place in the league.

I quite like the group stage format as it is not necessarily all over after 1 game.

It would be far more interesting though to see the U23 teams replaced with National Conference teams. A chance to see some different teams and more in keeping with the ethos of the competition.
That's been tried before as well as group games.
People keep saying the competition is finished. Well it's been going for nearly 35 seasons and I think the crowds are about the same as they have always been. That was until the introduction of the Under 23 or whatever age teams this season. It will be interesting to see what sort of crowds the Under 23 teams get tomorrow as quite a few are at home.

Nobody expects anything from him because he isn't even a League 2 quality striker, nevermind League 1. He doesn't get played because he isn't good enough.

He must have racked up a few hundred minutes in the past few seasons with absolutley no indication that he has the ability to score goals at this level (or the level below). He isn't good enough and it looks unlikely that he ever will be, give it up.

Back