• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
As we look to preserve our unbeaten record against Stevenage in all competitions, the man in charge of tomorrow's match is Chris Sarginson from Staffordshire.

He is a seventh year referee who will be refereeing his seventh Southend match and, for me, he falls into the "lucky to still be there" category.

We'd been riding our luck with Gavin Ward matches so he was due a poor one, perhaps Sarginson is due a good one?

His last Southend match was the sub-standard performance at Fleetwood at the back end of last season (1-1), with yellows for Egan and Leonard.

Previously it was the away game at Plymouth when we were leading 2-0 with about 5 mins to go and finished up with a point. Yellows for Timlin, Martin and Dickinson and one of theirs. Before that it was the Shrimps vs Shrimpers defeat four years ago when we just shaded the yellows with 3 against their 2. Then in the same season on New Year's Day at Oxford, when, as we won and he booked loads of theirs and none of ours, there were no complaints.

Then it was the hollow victory against Stockport at the end of the 2009/10 season and defeat at MK Dons the season before that.

His card count was decidedly average last season.

Originally appointed to assist was Matt Donohue, previously from Southend before moving up to the Manchester area. He declined the appointment and the would-have-been 4th official, Gavin Muge, from Bedford takes over his flag. Other assistant is Alan Young, the Cambridgeshire FA Regional Referees Development Manager and Ryan Atkin from London takes over the 4th official role.

Originally appointed to assist was Matt Donohue, previously from Southend before moving up to the Manchester area. He declined the appointment and the would-have-been 4th official, Gavin Muge, from Bedford takes over his flag. Other assistant is Alan Young, the Cambridgeshire FA Regional Referees Development Manager and Ryan Atkin from London takes over the 4th official role.
Must be a Shrimper then!

I recall a few of the mentioned games and as Mick states this ref is over due a good ref performance as those that I watched were poor;
Other than the Ox U game!

Bizarre that he was given it in the first place. Can't be that difficult to log which club a ref is a fan of and maker sure they're not appointed to them?

And I wonder, does that mean it's still possible that the other officials could be (less honest) Stevenage fans?

Matt Donohue...... I gave him his very first appointment and I am so proud that "one of mine" has got on the Football League. He is a Southend fan, which is why he declined the appointment. I last saw him at the Newport home game, where we "assessed" the West side assistant. Lol.

Mind you, tomorrow's ref put in a dreadful performance up at Fleetwood and we can only hope he is much better today.

Oh my gosh, this guy was the most useless official I have seen in a long time. Some refs make shocking decisions but I do not recall an official making so many obvious mistakes. There was several occasions when his linesman was having to overrule him. Just totally inept and busy, thanks heavens we won and I can post this without it coming across as sour grapes!!!

How did he see that one decision as a goal kick, was quite obviously a corner.

Oh my my my my......

On the positive side, he seemed to be able to spot what was not a foul, quite well on a couple of occassions.

On the negative side... he seemed to be lead by Mr Westley on a couple of occassions, at least three time his assistant had to come in and tell him what to do. He made several basic errors such as awarding a goal kick and not a corner (even looked at the West assisant to bail him out, which he shouldn't need to do), awarding Stevenage a throw when it was clearly kicked off by a Stevenage player and his inability to be in right place at the right time.

I wont say he made a difference to the game such as Mr Ward did, this one was dreadful for both sides. That's twice I've seen him, and twice I've thought him dreadful,

On a side issue, local lad Matt Donohue made his Football League debut at Luton today. He was appointed to our game in error by the FA who hadn't check to see who he supported!

As we look to preserve our unbeaten record against Stevenage in all competitions, the man in charge of tomorrow's match is Chris Sarginson from Staffordshire.

He is a seventh year referee who will be refereeing his seventh Southend match and, for me, he falls into the "lucky to still be there" category.

We'd been riding our luck with Gavin Ward matches so he was due a poor one, perhaps Sarginson is due a good one?

His last Southend match was the sub-standard performance at Fleetwood at the back end of last season (1-1), with yellows for Egan and Leonard.

Previously it was the away game at Plymouth when we were leading 2-0 with about 5 mins to go and finished up with a point. Yellows for Timlin, Martin and Dickinson and one of theirs. Before that it was the Shrimps vs Shrimpers defeat four years ago when we just shaded the yellows with 3 against their 2. Then in the same season on New Year's Day at Oxford, when, as we won and he booked loads of theirs and none of ours, there were no complaints.

Then it was the hollow victory against Stockport at the end of the 2009/10 season and defeat at MK Dons the season before that.

His card count was decidedly average last season.

Still in the "lucky to still be there category" then!

Oh my gosh, this guy was the most useless official I have seen in a long time. Some refs make shocking decisions but I do not recall an official making so many obvious mistakes. There was several occasions when his linesman was having to overrule him. Just totally inept and busy, thanks heavens we won and I can post this without it coming across as sour grapes!!!

Yep fully agreed. Ref was shocking, consistently bad for both team at least.

Agreed he was pretty poor, people will always disagree about bookings/fouls etc, but he actually got most of the contentious decisions right I thought. The bookings looked about right, the soft penalty appeals turned down at both ends looked the correct decisions, but whilst getting the hard bits right (in the main) on at least 3 occasions he got a ridiculously simple throw in/corner decision completely wrong.
I know he was taken ill halfway through the second half, I do wonder if he was struggling healthwise which was why he made those basic errors?

I saw he was struggling in the second half. Did anyone see what was wrong with him?

"I know an old ref who swallowed a fly, I don't know why he swallowed a fly....That's a guess incidentally, just our impression that he'd swallowed something cos they were all patting him on the back.

I didn't thing he was TOO bad, I've certainly seen many worse!

Back