• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are they (Stevenage) mad? Eastwood is overweight, over-rated and over the hill - besides being injury prone, poor work ethic and unreliable.

Damn! Gone then!

Maybe not. If it was someone like Sheffield United or Notts County, i.e. potentially big clubs with history and pedigree then I'd agree. But Stevenage are a traditionally non-league outfit with limited support who are punching well above their weight. The cycle won't last. Plus he has the hero worship factor and the fact that he won't have to try very hard to win the fans over down here. He may stay.

Depends how much he wants to play at a higher level. I find it hard to see Stevenage as a step up in anything other than league position. If he wants to play at bigger grounds when playing away then fine, but it would be a sad day if he chose them over us.

No player would do that surely even though they have are in league one granted.

Maybe not. If it was someone like Sheffield United or Notts County, i.e. potentially big clubs with history and pedigree then I'd agree. But Stevenage are a traditionally non-league outfit with limited support who are punching well above their weight. The cycle won't last. Plus he has the hero worship factor and the fact that he won't have to try very hard to win the fans over down here. He may stay.

Depends how much he wants to play at a higher level. I find it hard to see Stevenage as a step up in anything other than league position. If he wants to play at bigger grounds when playing away then fine, but it would be a sad day if he chose them over us.

This. .............

But with his family just down the road from us , its not that clear cut.......wages may be the biggest issue.....

Let's be honest he hasn't performed well anywhere except at SUFC , not sure there will be too many clubs looking at him and I doubt the thought of playing for Stevenage will make him moist !

But with his family just down the road from us , its not that clear cut.......wages may be the biggest issue.....

Im hoping its not clear cut. I cant imagine playing at Stevenage's ground is any better than Roots Hall. Obviously the opposition grounds will be better. Playing at Portsmouth, Coventry and Sheffield Utd will be better than playing at Morcambe, Buron and York.

Ill be gutted if he doesnt sign for us and am hoping he wont want to go there, but with Grant going there I wouldnt rule it out.

Dont see why people keep going on about money. The guy lives in a caravan for gods sake, has no mortgage and has been playing at Wolves and Cov for the past 5 years as well as Wales. I believe he was on anything between 8-12K so he should be financially sound. He has moved his family back to Essex. I Still think we have a chance.

Anyone who thinks Eastwood will stay is kidding themselves if this is a serious offer. We've been in "talks" with him for ages now and is very clear that he is just waiting for a better offer to come along which in all fairness, Stevenage is. Yes, their ambitions will be short lived but he's 28 himself and will most likely not give two hoots about what happens to Stevenage in 3-5 years time as he needs to play at the highest level he can at this moment in time. He also probably feels he still has something to prove to the footballing world in that he can perform for other clubs.

I can't see him moving to Gillingham over Southend though, even if Tilly does join them.

Anyone who thinks Eastwood will stay is kidding themselves if this is a serious offer. We've been in "talks" with him for ages now and is very clear that he is just waiting for a better offer to come along which in all fairness, Stevenage is. Yes, their ambitions will be short lived but he's 28 himself and will most likely not give two hoots about what happens to Stevenage in 3-5 years time as he needs to play at the highest level he can at this moment in time. He also probably feels he still has something to prove to the footballing world in that he can perform for other clubs.

I can't see him moving to Gillingham over Southend though, even if Tilly does join them.

As Cluniemore said everyone was on holiday so I doubt there has been much talking going on before this week.

As Cluniemore said everyone was on holiday so I doubt there has been much talking going on before this week.

I don't think this included Eastwood and Sturrock is not the only person at the club who carries out contract negotiations, in fact I doubt he has much to do with the mechanics of deals.

Either way, he wont be picking us over Stevenage. That much I'm sure of.

Fred has also had an operation recently that was partly overseen by the medical team at Southend, so he isnt fit at the moment anyway, so anyone wanting to sign him would be taking a slight gamble anyway. As for Stevenage, i just dont see him going there and why they would want him. They only just missed out on promotion this season with a decent squad, not sure Eastwood would actually improve their squad that much, not based on what we saw last season. I just think he has an emotional link to us and that he might just suit being with us.

There really should be no way we would lose out to Stevenage. Surely they wouldnt be able to offer anymore in terms of money than what we can?

There really should be no way we would lose out to Stevenage. Surely they wouldnt be able to offer anymore in terms of money than what we can?

Maybe he wasn't that impressed with the number of high balls that were punted onto and over his head at the back end of last season ?

I think he is lost in this team anyway. Our style of play does not suit him.

Unless we are thinking of a change in style, then he may as well move on elsewhere, where he is used to his strengths (Balls in to feet 30 yards from goal)

If Stevenage offer him the chance to play in a higher Division and on more money , why wouldn't he go ?
I don't buy the "emotional link to Southend" bit.
It's not a reflection on Freddy in terms of him being disloyal and money grabbing , but a fact of life.
Sure he has earned some decent pay in the last few years , but cutting your salary from 8k to 4k is much less painful than 8k to 2k ( those figures are just assumptions ).
I also agree with Smiffy that our style ( or lack of ) has probably not excited him greatly.
What he had first time here was great for him and the fans.
Second time ?
I'm not so sure.
I hope I'm wrong and he stays and helps us get promoted , but I'm not holding my breath.
As The Beatles said 'Money can't buy you love' ( God I'm old...... ) , but it certainly helps

Back