• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any time I think I can't dislike Stevenage any more than I already do they find a way to raise the bar.

Maybe not. If it was someone like Sheffield United or Notts County, i.e. potentially big clubs with history and pedigree then I'd agree. But Stevenage are a traditionally non-league outfit with limited support who are punching well above their weight. The cycle won't last. Plus he has the hero worship factor and the fact that he won't have to try very hard to win the fans over down here. He may stay.

It all comes down to money.

After having said on another thread that I would hope for at least one signing with a 'wow' factor (Eastwood), I have to say that I'm not 100% sure that Freddy returning is a good idea. It could work but there again, if it didn't, it risks sullying the good memories we have of him.I'm happy to leave this one in the lap of the Gods.
The loss of Grant and the possible failure to re-sign Freddy is certainly the price we are having to pay for not gaining promotion............perhaps Grant would have still gone.......but not to Stevenage. I presume that Stevenage still have their rigourous (sadistic) training schedule in place. I suppose that would either kill or cure Eastwood's fitness problem.

I think he is lost in this team anyway. Our style of play does not suit him.

Unless we are thinking of a change in style, then he may as well move on elsewhere, where he is used to his strengths (Balls in to feet 30 yards from goal)
In fairness we did play the ball on the ground far more when he arrived. I don't remember us punting the ball over his head much against Cheltenham, Barnet or Macclesfield. He and Harris linked up extremely well in those games. Obviously the Crewe game was another matter but we were ****e all round that night.

Freddy :Worthy:

But, we are capable of promotion without him hence our 17 game unbeaten run without him. The guy hasn't been fit. We love him but we only want to see a fit Freddy. Would absolutely love him to sign but 1) don't expect it and 2) if we can afford his wages then I am sure we can get another decent player in!!!

A change of style is unlikely to occur with the current management.

I think we should change our style.

As long as the current manager is able to produce a side that competes at the right end of the table then changing him is a big risk.
No guarantee that changing manager would result either in a change of style or a more succesful team.

In fairness we did play the ball on the ground far more when he arrived. I don't remember us punting the ball over his head much against Cheltenham, Barnet or Macclesfield. He and Harris linked up extremely well in those games. Obviously the Crewe game was another matter but we were ****e all round that night.

This is true and I would hope the style of play won't have much of an impact on Freddy staying or going. We mixed it up well after his arrival and we can only hope the presence of Harris and hopefully Corr (2 strikers who Eastwood could IMHO do very well playing off) will come into his thinking along with his relationship with the supporters. If he hasn't been happy since leaving Roots Hall (which he's admitted) then I hope that's something he thinks about, I really don't think we're long for this league and it would be a crying shame for Freddy if he risked being unhappy elsewhere as he might not get the chance to play for Blues again in the future.

Surely Stevenage can't offer him more than we can in terms of ££££££

Only thing on offer there is League One football.

It comes down to if Freddy wants to stay
Money should not be the major factor certainly verses Stevenage.
Even if we paid 5k a week thats 260k. We get him for nothing and if he is on a 2/3 year contract we would expect recoup at least most of the wages in the transfer market if we needed to- and that even before you get to the attendance argument.
You can build a business case, it has great marketing value to the fans and we are assured Mr Lockett is a fine businessman.

So in summary I am sure he and PS can work this one out and its all down to if Freddy wants to stay.

Freddy may well say look I'll sign for 2 years but will have a clause in my contract that if we dont get promoted I can go if a club offers 150k or more. That way worst case we got him for 2k a week...really its not complicated if (maybe its a big if) we wanted to happen.

It comes down to if Freddy wants to stay
Money should not be the major factor certainly verses Stevenage.
Even if we paid 5k a week thats 260k. We get him for nothing and if he is on a 2/3 year contract we would expect recoup at least most of the wages in the transfer market if we needed to- and that even before you get to the attendance argument.
You can build a business case, it has great marketing value to the fans and we are assured Mr Lockett is a fine businessman.

So in summary I am sure he and PS can work this one out and its all down to if Freddy wants to stay.

Freddy may well say look I'll sign for 2 years but will have a clause in my contract that if we dont get promoted I can go if a club offers 150k or more. That way worst case we got him for 2k a week...really its not complicated if (maybe its a big if) we wanted to happen.

More likely is Freddy signs for one year to see if we make it out of L2 (if he is to actually stay). When you talk of paying £5k a week there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of us paying that - I should imagine the maximum we'll go to is around £2k p/w. I just hope he signs as a fit Eastwood would go a long way to helping us out of L2.

Eastwood and barry corr both FIT would ruin league 2

Both UNFIT and we stay in league 2

Its a gamble that could make or break

Stevenage get 3.5k at home a week, so how they can find some money to afford him, if we get **** crowds like Stevenage and offer big money to players, I would be ******** at myself of the thought of going into Administration when things go tit up. Let see what happen and by the way, Stevenage played more long ball than we do.

Also being mentioned in Coventry although this may have been picked up from the echo newsfeed, I think the public comment at the bottom of the article is very interesting, this is what a lot of their fans think (My son lives and works in Coventry so often talks to their fans). They all say if he had put his mind to it improved his attitude to diet training and discipline he could have gone a long way in the game, certainly much further than Coventry or Wolves!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...twood-in-talks-with-stevenage-92746-31230301/

Back