• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm starting to really dislike Stevenage

Yes, how dare they make approaches for out of contract players? How dare they go up two (nearly three) levels whilst we've gone down a similar number?

I didn't care for their style of play much a couple of years ago, but, as a small club, they are obviously doing something right.

I fear that the very fact Freddy is in talks with a club like Stevenage means that what was on offer at Southend was not very alluring. I think at one time he indicated that there was a 60%/40% chance that he would rejoin us. Luckily I'm not a betting man because I tend to feel, sadly, that it is now more 80%/20% that he won't.

Yes, how dare they make approaches for out of contract players? How dare they go up two (nearly three) levels whilst we've gone down a similar number?

I didn't care for their style of play much a couple of years ago, but, as a small club, they are obviously doing something right.

And how dare Shrimper2thecore choose to mildly dislike another club? He should know that all hatred and vitriol that he may have should be saved for the chairman and manager here.

And how dare Shrimper2thecore choose to mildly dislike another club? He should know that all hatred and vitriol that he may have should be saved for the chairman and manager here.

I must have misread it. I thought he said really dislike, not mildly dislike.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I don't hate the chairman, I just happen to think he's miles out of his depth in pursuit of a dream which looks like it has all the makings of going seriously wrong. Also I don't hate the manager, who I am assured is a very nice person and I have no reason to doubt it. Indeed, his contributions on here are, I think, a plus. Wiser counsel would probably advise against it, but I welcome his little snippets. I do not however find his tactics particularly appealing and some of his decisions I find baffling. Hatred and vitriol ? That won't do anyone any good.

It comes down to if Freddy wants to stay
Money should not be the major factor certainly verses Stevenage.
Even if we paid 5k a week thats 260k. We get him for nothing and if he is on a 2/3 year contract we would expect recoup at least most of the wages in the transfer market if we needed to- and that even before you get to the attendance argument.
You can build a business case, it has great marketing value to the fans and we are assured Mr Lockett is a fine businessman.

So in summary I am sure he and PS can work this one out and its all down to if Freddy wants to stay.

Freddy may well say look I'll sign for 2 years but will have a clause in my contract that if we dont get promoted I can go if a club offers 150k or more. That way worst case we got him for 2k a week...really its not complicated if (maybe its a big if) we wanted to happen.

I think there is one major piece pf the equation that you are missing. AFTER we sold him the net cost could be computed to profit for the club, but in the mean time where are we going to get £5000 a week from exactly ?

Or we have a master plan that says' we can't afford you, so play well , put yourself in the shop window and after a one/2 seasons we will sell you and then pay your wages with what we get for you?

More likely is Freddy signs for one year to see if we make it out of L2 (if he is to actually stay). When you talk of paying £5k a week there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of us paying that - I should imagine the maximum we'll go to is around £2k p/w. I just hope he signs as a fit Eastwood would go a long way to helping us out of L2.

There in lies the challenge- the business case says on a 2 year deal with a transfer fee at the end of year one where you got him on a free it works- so why not a cat in hells
1. we dont do business cases (were a footbal club)
2. we wory about upsetting others who are on less

I think there is one major piece pf the equation that you are missing. AFTER we sold him the net cost could be computed to profit for the club, but in the mean time where are we going to get £5000 a week from exactly ?

Or we have a master plan that says' we can't afford you, so play well , put yourself in the shop window and after a one/2 seasons we will sell you and then pay your wages with what we get for you?

Sorry- thought there was a plan to go for a smaller better squad
What matters is the total budget not what we pay one individual within it.
Rather than our normal quotent of 8 forwards I would rather 4 who were any good and we play- especially as there is no meaningful reserve league

my view- guess all that matter is what PS thinks as its his budget and I guess his choice what he spends it on

Sorry- thought there was a plan to go for a smaller better squad
What matters is the total budget not what we pay one individual within it.
Rather than our normal quotent of 8 forwards I would rather 4 who were any good and we play- especially as there is no meaningful reserve league

my view- guess all that matter is what PS thinks as its his budget and I guess his choice what he spends it on

Is there ?

Its been said on here but I dont recall anyone from the club saying anything like that.

We have released a lot of fringe players, none of which were a surprise, and so far only lost Grant.

A smaller squad is fine if we are only cutting out players like Paterson/Sturrock who are unlikely to get near the pitch, but we still need a decent sized squad. In January there were times we were struggling to field a back four.

We do normally have a lot of strikers but thats generally because they are the ones you use in a substitution, you rarely change defenders for tactical reasons. Do we not only have 3 at present though ? Harris (old)/ Corr (injury prone) and Benyon ?

Yeah splitters!

Er why. What can anyone have against Stevenage to make them hate them ?!

Don't like the way they play, didn't like the behaviour of their fans at Roots Hall in the game towards the end of the 10/11 season, don't like how they're above us in the pyramid and don't like how they're plucking our players up for free.

Not a decent reason amongst them, all very hypocritical and illogical but I don't think any of that really matters in football. There are teams you don't like. For me, one of them is Stevenage. Can't stand them and hope they crash and burn.

There in lies the challenge- the business case says on a 2 year deal with a transfer fee at the end of year one where you got him on a free it works- so why not a cat in hells
1. we dont do business cases (were a footbal club)
2. we wory about upsetting others who are on less

The club have never paid anyone as much as £5k p/w so there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of us doing it now when we're in the basement.

Three other key factors here:

(a) where is the money going to come from to pay Freddy £5k p/w? You have to have the cash available in the first place and it would most probably eat up most of PS wage budget.

(b) team morale is bound to be affected if one player is getting 4 or even FIVE times as much as most of the others - that is NOT going to be good for team spirit.

(c) we would be working on the assumption that Freddy will have re-sale value. Granted he could have but on the other hand he may not and if he doesn't then that is an expensive outlay with no remuneration. Freddy has had a bad knee injury, he was also not in the best physical shape. If he were to get back to full fitness and start scoring regularly again then we could conceivably get a couple of hundred grand for him should he move on....but that's not certain. With his record since leaving us the last time he could also go the other way in time, particular if he can't get his fitness back to optimum.

Whichever way you look at it it's a risk Ron and Sturrock will not take, £2k maybe p/w yes....£5k will be a resounding no and I'd fully support the club on that. Hope a deal can be worked out though, desperate for Eastwood to stay a Shrimper. :thumbsup:

Don't like the way they play, didn't like the behaviour of their fans at Roots Hall in the game towards the end of the 10/11 season, don't like how they're above us in the pyramid and don't like how they're plucking our players up for free.

Not a decent reason amongst them, all very hypocritical and illogical but I don't think any of that really matters in football. There are teams you don't like. For me, one of them is Stevenage. Can't stand them and hope they crash and burn.

Im sure other fans didnt like the way we played much last year :)

I personally dont have any feelings for any team other than those around us geographically, or sometimes competitively. And with the latter once they are no longer a rival I couldnt care less.

Had a dislike for Swindon last year after their players behaviour, but cant say that makes me hate them as a club in a way Id be hoping they lose next season.

Saying that, not a big fan of Millwall after spending the first game at the New Den in the home end but everyone hates them :smile:

Go to the pictures section for that match against Stevenage. You'll see a lovely kung fu kick challenge on Clohessey in the middle of the park. Absolutely dire challenge, and Stevenage were doing that type of thing all game. Awful, awful anti-football. Southend can play that sometimes, but we've never played anti-football like that Stevenage side did that day. It was truly shocking to watch, and I believe any football fan would agree.

Go to the pictures section for that match against Stevenage. You'll see a lovely kung fu kick challenge on Clohessey in the middle of the park. Absolutely dire challenge, and Stevenage were doing that type of thing all game. Awful, awful anti-football. Southend can play that sometimes, but we've never played anti-football like that Stevenage side did that day. It was truly shocking to watch, and I believe any football fan would agree.

Precisely, my hatred for Stevenage stems from that game. Awful display from their players.

Agree, their fans and players were equally obnoxious. On the bright side, they had a player sent off, missed a pen and then BBBC
scored a late winner and we all went home happy !

Back