• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depending on what Stevenage pick yes. But I wasn’t picking the side I expect to beat Stevenage!!! I was picking the side I thought KB may pick based on who he feels needs game time and who he feels is a fringe player who he needs to give game time to!!

Did you not read the actual post?

Thanks for that.......I try my best to read properly.

Here I go trying again.

So is it your opinion then that KB will pick a side that you don’t expect to beat Stevenage?

Thanks for that.......I try my best to read properly.

Here I go trying again.

So is it your opinion then that KB will pick a side that you don’t expect to beat Stevenage?

Oh wow.....

Ok I’ll try again.....

No I think it being a Cup game v League 2 side, HAD we won one or both league games he’d have used it as a B team game. However having lost both games he will now have a decision to make on whether he wants to go full strength and try and kick start the season or STILL use it as a game to balance off game time, get some players a little fitter, get some players closer to the levels they need to be at, get some players on the pitch that haven’t featured so far in league games.....

He will of course want to win the game but whereas mutually that would not have been top of his priority’s it may, on the back of two defeats moved higher up the list....

I picked Ridgewell based on KB clearly signing him to play and based on Saturday him being clearly below par fitness wise and match time wise.....

I’m not sure which part of all this you’ve struggled with but my guess is either way he won’t risk nailed on starters for Saturday who may be an injury risk....and who we’d miss badly if they were to pick up a knock.

Have a think about it and if you have any questions just come back and ask ?

Oh wow.....

Ok I’ll try again.....

No I think it being a Cup game v League 2 side, HAD we won one or both league games he’d have used it as a B team game. However having lost both games he will now have a decision to make on whether he wants to go full strength and try and kick start the season or STILL use it as a game to balance off game time, get some players a little fitter, get some players closer to the levels they need to be at, get some players on the pitch that haven’t featured so far in league games.....

He will of course want to win the game but whereas mutually that would not have been top of his priority’s it may, on the back of two defeats moved higher up the list....

I picked Ridgewell based on KB clearly signing him to play and based on Saturday him being clearly below par fitness wise and match time wise.....

I’m not sure which part of all this you’ve struggled with but my guess is either way he won’t risk nailed on starters for Saturday who may be an injury risk....and who we’d miss badly if they were to pick up a knock.

Have a think about it and if you have any questions just come back and ask ?

OK I will.

he’d have used it as a B team game. That should go down well with those of us who haven't seen us win in the League Cup since 2010 and watched us beat Leeds United and Manchester United and get beaten by Tottenham Hotspur 3 minutes from the end of extra time by an offside goal at White Hart Lane back in the days when we had a proper manager. I guess as a self declared non-supporter you couldn't give a toss either way. Am I right?

try and kick start the season Isn't that what he's paid to do?

STILL use it as a game to balance off game time, get some players a little fitter, get some players closer to the levels they need to be at Isn't that what 5 weeks pre-season work, a trip to Devon and daily training is for? Do you therefore think he didn't achieve what he should have done during this time?

get some players on the pitch that haven’t featured so far in league games.....Surely they haven't featured so far in league games because he doesn't think that they're as good as those that he has picked in front of them. Has he therefore changed his mind already?

I picked Ridgewell Having watched him on Saturday and read the comments of all of the Hull City fans who commented on his stint there last season that has to be the extremely vindictive shout of a Col U supporter or of someone who couldn't give a toss either way. I can see a pattern developing. Am I right?

Clearer for you?

Have a think about it and if you have any questions just come back and ask.

Guys, you can have differences of opinions without having to resort to insulting slurs like "Col U supporter".

Please keep it civil.

I've picked a 4-4-2 based on who I think will start. Starts for Bishop, Ndukwu, Robinson and Kelman. Not the most likely up front pairings but going by Bond comments from the weekend I can see him dropping Cox and Humphrys for consistencies sake.

It would be nice if White got a game, nearly picked McLaughlin because he needs to find the form from somewhere and this is the sort of game to throw him in...

I think Bond will be caught between his initial plan, which would undoubtedly have been to use the game to balance off game time for fringe players, with the likes of ; McLaughlin, Hyam, Blackman, White, Bishop, Ridgewell, Dieng and Demetriou (if either are fit), Ndukwu, Kelman and Robinson, all playing a big part.

However I think now his selection will be clouded by the desire to get the season up and running with a win and this may we’ll see a stronger side starting with Cox and Humphrys both needing goals and confidence...

I’d be very surprised if players like Milligan, Lennon, Shaunessey or Ralph are risked.....

You may see something like :-

————————Bishop————————

Demetriou—White—Ridgewell—Blackman

—————Dieng————Hyam—————

————————Kelman————————

Ndukwu———Robinson———McLaughlin

With a bench of :-
Cox
Humphrys
Hutchinson
Lennon
Elvis
Mantom
Oxley

For obvious reasons we want to try an advance past the 1st Round of this competition this year and our opening results have made team selection a bit more complicated. Not only have Stevenage lost both games like us............. they haven't yet scored a goal. Defeat at Salford was followed by a loss at home against Exeter but they only fell to a last minute goal from the visitors. I expect a tight game with possibly one goal deciding it.......hopefully for us! (certainly wouldn't underestimate them on their own turf)
I'd go along with much of what you've said. Bishop cert in goal. In defence I agree with White and Blackman however, I don't think he'll try Ridgewell again until he improves his fitness levels. IF Demetriou is fit enough I think that's a good call. Hyam, Kelman Ndukwu..............why noy but will Dieng and McLaughlin be fit enough???? I wouldn't risk starting with Cox or Humphrys (thinking next Saturday is still the priority) I wouldn't usually favour starting with Robinson but as he did the business last season at this level it seems a logical choice..............after all there aren't too many alternatives! Fear, for the reasons stated above, we may yet have to call on one or two others who were involved on Saturday.

For obvious reasons we want to try an advance past the 1st Round of this competition this year and our opening results have made team selection a bit more complicated. Not only have Stevenage lost both games like us............. they haven't yet scored a goal. Defeat at Salford was followed by a loss at home against Exeter but they only fell to a last minute goal from the visitors. I expect a tight game with possibly one goal deciding it.......hopefully for us! (certainly wouldn't underestimate them on their own turf)
I'd go along with much of what you've said. Bishop cert in goal. In defence I agree with White and Blackman however, I don't think he'll try Ridgewell again until he improves his fitness levels. IF Demetriou is fit enough I think that's a good call. Hyam, Kelman Ndukwu..............why noy but will Dieng and McLaughlin be fit enough???? I wouldn't risk starting with Cox or Humphrys (thinking next Saturday is still the priority) I wouldn't usually favour starting with Robinson but as he did the business last season at this level it seems a logical choice..............after all there aren't too many alternatives! Fear, for the reasons stated above, we may yet have to call on one or two others who were involved on Saturday.

From KB pre-match interview on iFollow he said Dieng wouldn't be fit and you can infer that Ndukwu will probably be on the bench.

Ok sorry I didn’t realise I was talking to the bloke from the John Smiths adverts or Mike Bassett!!!!

I’m pretty sure most other people on here got the drift of my post and dilemma involved in picking a starting line up for a minor cup comp which may involve rotating a squad in order to keep 26 players motivated and fit so that in the highly unlikely situation we can’t just spend all season using the same 11 best players we had in August!!!

he’d have used it as a B team game. That should go down well with those of us who haven't seen us win in the League Cup since 2010 and watched us beat Leeds United and Manchester United and get beaten by Tottenham Hotspur 3 minutes from the end of extra time by an offside goal at White Hart Lane back in the days when we had a proper manager. I guess as a self declared non-supporter you couldn't give a toss either way. Am I right?

Maybe other managers have all had the same idea about the importance of the Caraboa cup?

The cups importance has changed from those heady days and every manager in the country will field a team tomorrow night that is different to what he thought was his first choice 11 Saturday for a league game. We’ll be no different. The game has changed. Squads are bigger, there are more games, more demands, more players and more education surrounding playing every game with the same 11.

But you’re right, I couldn’t give a toss....I don’t think there’s much to choose between many of our players so I could probably pick several different sides using the whole squad and it would be arguable over the strongest 11....

Bishop or Ox? Dunno so I’ll take a look at Bish...Dieng or Mantom? Dunno so I may take the chance to give Dieng game time. Macca or Hutchinson? Dunno so Macca needs minutes after missing Saturday. Goodship or Robinson? Dunno so if Goodship is fit I’ll give him a go as a CF......I’m sure you get my drift....

try and kick start the season
Isn't that what he's paid to do?

He’s paid to do a job. Ideally the season started better two weeks ago but it didn’t so no it may need a cup game against weaker opposition to kick start it and get morale up....it’s not a new idea or a new phrase....my cars meant to start every morning but I have on occasion had to jump start it....desperate measures I know but it works.

STILL use it as a game to balance off game time, get some players a little fitter, get some players closer to the levels they need to be at
Isn't that what 5 weeks pre-season work, a trip to Devon and daily training is for? Do you therefore think he didn't achieve what he should have done during this time?

As we’ve seen pre season and training has very little relevance when compared to real competitive football where points or cup rounds are at stake. Overall general fitness is probably much of a muchness across the squad but some will be better or sharper than others due to having played competitive football while others haven’t.....some through injury, some through tactical decisions (good or bad ones!) and some through not being selected due to form....again a good performance can do wonders for a players confidence and in turn form....Humphrys nicks a goal and goes on a run of 5 in next 6 games we’d all be happy...

get some players on the pitch that haven’t featured so far in league games.....
Surely they haven't featured so far in league games because he doesn't think that they're as good as those that he has picked in front of them. Has he therefore changed his mind already?

No but he may have been let down by some in his faith in them. Or he may have selected some over others to suit a formation or a game plan. He may even have thought someone was better than someone else only to have been let down and feels someone else is now worth their opportunity.
Are you suggesting he should select his best 11 pre season and the. stick with it for as long as possible?

I picked Ridgewell
Having watched him on Saturday and read the comments of all of the Hull City fans who commented on his stint there last season that has to be the extremely vindictive shout of a Col U supporter or of someone who couldn't give a toss either way. I can see a pattern developing. Am I right?

No I don’t support anyone.....like that’s relevant?

But KB bought Ridgewell I presume to play now and again? So given that he missed pre season he is now playing catch up and the opportunity to play again mid week may well be seen as beneficial to ensure games like saturday don’t happen again or too often...?

Personally I dont rate him but I’m thinking that KB must be even more stupid than even you think he is, if he’s signed Ridgewell and he doesn’t rate him either?

Clearer for you?

Have a think about it and if you have any questions just come back and ask.

I never had any questions to begin with but if you can’t understand my point after this then we are done.....it’s like arguing with an idiot....from 30yards no one knows who’s who.....

Last edited:
Ron Martin will want a more successful cup run and the potential of a money spinning tie in the following round(s)....

Ron Martin will want a more successful cup run and the potential of a money spinning tie in the following round(s)....

He’ll also not want another relegation battle and he’ll want KB to use tomorrows game as the best way to kick start the season whether that be rotating players or going strongest 11...

It’s a whopping £5k for 1st round winners this season, £7k for 2nd round winners, just £100k for the winners of the cup, awful prize money really isn’t it.

It’s a whopping £5k for 1st round winners this season, £7k for 2nd round winners, just £100k for the winners of the cup, awful prize money really isn’t it.

Yes, its miserly, although I'd rather have £5k for 90 minutes work than not, however its the lure of a Premier League giant (albeit it will be their youngsters) and possible TV coverage if SKY can tear themselves away from their favourites.

I think the importance of getting a win to get some positivity going means it will be the strongest line up

I don't think he will risk injury to certain players but they may get time from the bench with the tie having to be settled on the night.

Bond hasn't a clue what our strongest formation or side is yet going by the poorly planned pre season. 2 very different formations and personal changes showed that. Who knows what he is going to do tomorrow.

Ok sorry I didn’t realise I was talking to the bloke from the John Smiths adverts or Mike Bassett!!!!

I never had any questions to begin with but if you can’t understand my point after this then we are done.....it’s like arguing with an idiot....from 30yards no one knows who’s who.....

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

It’s more arrogance than idiocy.

Plenty of personal abuse from you but you still avoided my question in post 42.

Nice one.

Last edited:
Back