• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bond hasn't a clue what our strongest formation or side is yet going by the poorly planned pre season. 2 very different formations and personal changes showed that. Who knows what he is going to do tomorrow.

When was that?

I answered it in the very next post. You clearly weren’t intelligent enough to recognise it.

I don’t think I could muster enough personal abuse to fully make myself clear to be honest.

You’ve just forced an argument from nothing.

You either don’t understand what I’ve said in which case you literally have no experience or intelligence when it comes to football or you’re choosing to ignore it because you realise it makes your points redundant or argumentative at best.

Either way I think we’re done with this topic and I’d imagine everyone else is too.

I answered it in the very next post. You clearly weren’t intelligent enough to recognise it.

I don’t think I could muster enough personal abuse to fully make myself clear to be honest.

You’ve just forced an argument from nothing.

You either don’t understand what I’ve said in which case you literally have no experience or intelligence when it comes to football or you’re choosing to ignore it because you realise it makes your points redundant or argumentative at best.

Either way I think we’re done with this topic and I’d imagine everyone else is too.

Do you deliberately try and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with your views?

I can assure you that mfurok has been a SUFC fan for well over 50 years (and while I don't always agree with his views) he makes his points intelligently and with passion.

Although I attend most away games, I am certainly going to give this game a miss. Unlike the vast majority of clubs, greedy Stevenage are expecting fans to pay full price as if it were a league fixture @ £20 and no reduction for concessions! It is already beginning to look like a long hard season ahead so my boycott against Stevenage is an easy decision.

Exactly my thoughts. In a competition that I hold only just slightly above the farce that is the EFL Trophy the ticket prices are utterly ridiculous.
This is just the sort of game that should be boycotted by everyone, home and away fans, in a protest against ticket prices in general. £20 adult is bad enough, throw in the £8 for kids and it's laughable. Thanks to Stevenage FC for making it an easy decision to stay away.

Exactly my thoughts. In a competition that I hold only just slightly above the farce that is the EFL Trophy the ticket prices are utterly ridiculous.
This is just the sort of game that should be boycotted by everyone, home and away fans, in a protest against ticket prices in general. £20 adult is bad enough, throw in the £8 for kids and it's laughable. Thanks to Stevenage FC for making it an easy decision to stay away.
I was told that last week's tie Portsmouth v Birmingham was £12 for adults which makes ours look even worse!

The last time we played our reserves at Stevenage we lost 4-0.

A certain PB was not very happy with the complete lack of effort from our 'fringe' players. Not helped of course by some local muppets behind the bench giving him personal abuse that increased with each goal.

The only one who showed any desire was Timlin as he returned from injury. He was picked for the Saturday away game v Bury and had a good game. He was involved in a few of the goals.

Some of the other players who couldn't be bothered (King O'Neil and Bridge) did not feature much after that.

Anyway , Im heading off at around 1.30pm to head for Hitchin and my nice in-laws ( apart from being Stevenage supporters ) who have bought me a ticket and strangely claim it costs £45 ??

Slightly difficult as always to be in the main bar and stand as possibly the only shrimper ? let me know if any one else will be in this location, as opposed to my fellow shrimpers bravely banging the drum in the opponents enclosure. I totally get the concern about prices, but hope a few more of you can make it and not boycott the occasion.

Im really looking forward to it as Im either going to see a pretty much full first team set up that will sweep us to victory comfortably? and onto the second round, OR Im going to feast on the strength of our squad and delight in seeing more of Bish, Hyam, Ridgewell, Mc L, , ?the Duck, Kelman, 20 minutes of Demmy , Theo in full flow and Andre B belting down the wing. Its a win win, how good is that? Safe travels to all. onwards and upwards

Do you deliberately try and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with your views?

I can assure you that mfurok has been a SUFC fan for well over 50 years (and while I don't always agree with his views) he makes his points intelligently and with passion.

I’d say well over 60 years actually-are you not ageing as fast as the rest of us- which means he’s seen well over 2000 games.

Be patient I said to him on Saturday - Mr Bond will sort it out!
Of course we come from the days of when we started we had 2 full backs, 3 half backs and 5 forwards and 1 of the wing halves attacked as well. In those days goalkeepers had to make saves as well. A minor cup was the Essex Professional and the team picked often was the first team - there were probably no more than 16-17 professionals anyway.

Then the administrators took over the game and now we have 7 subs and need squads of 24 plus a group of under 23s which keep youth unemployment numbers down - most of whom will never make it as a professional. We also have no reserve games at our level and a binding transfer window.

In the general scheme of things unless “squad players” play in the cups some of them would never play a game of football. Hence cups have become devalued - self perpetuating.

Dear Grapevine - unfortunately I think your synopsis is probably correct and Mfurok is extremely frustrated by it as indeed am I - but don’t take it personally.

If your outlook is correct no doubt Mr Bond will say I picked a team good enough to win the game but the players let me down. They knock on my door every week saying they should be in the team but have shown I’m right and they’re wrong.

Anyway...................

Its 66.5 miles to Stevenage from Gillingham via the M25 and takes 1 hour and 27 minutes. However the M25 and A1 combined can take 1 hour and 29 minutes and yet is 71.4 miles. Its 1 hour and 59 minutes however via the A2 and 1 hour and 42 minutes journey by train

Grapevine (and others who still haven't got the message)

You were warned, as was everyone else (see my post last night), that this thread needed to focus on issues and not on posters or be derogatory or question intelligence etc. If you didn't, further posts doing the same would be deleted. You didn't heed this warning and your next two posts both questioned the intelligence of other posters. They were therefore deleted as will similarly derogatory posts by others.

Each of you has a contribution to make and we enjoy reading the banter. We wont tolerate abusive posts though.

None of my posts that have been deleted questioned the intelligence or integrity of anyone (ironically the ones that did weren’t deleted!!!). It wasn’t abusive in any way shape or form.

I stated quite clearly that actually I had worked pretty hard and been extremely patient at articulating an answer to someone who was being deliberately belligerent towards my opinion.....whilst not offering one of his own at all.

Please highlight and demonstrate to me where in the post I have been anything even approaching abusive or derogatory at all?

In no way did I attempt to belittle anyone whatsoever. The poster was belligerent and argumentative regarding my opinion, made no attempt to offer his own and despite me consistently trying to explain my point in a patient and articulate manner, he continued to pick holes in it and attempt to ridicule me.

How long he’s been a SUFC fan, I believe is irrelevant to whether he agrees with my views or not and after all, that was all he was arguing against......my views!

The points he was making in respect of my opinion were neither intelligently posted or particularly passionate (these are the words used by another poster regarding all of the original posters posts not mine!!!), like I say they were completely belligerent and disrespectful.

To delete my earlier post in response to this is nothing short of disgustingly bias and unfair as it was neither rude or insulting. As is this one.

Grapevine (and others who still haven't got the message)

Each of you has a contribution to make and we enjoy reading the banter. We wont tolerate abusive posts though.

Unless they are directed at rigsby :Cool:

Will be going tonight mainly as meeting my cricket mate who's second team are Stevenage.Going in the home end with him and saving a fiver.£20 is very expensive for league cup

Blokes arguing on a football forum who would have thought it :Smile:

Anyway I wish some of the players showed such "passion" on the pitch.

£20 is outrageous for tonights game, not sure what to do, if I don't go we will win 6-0, if I do go and pay £20 to watch us get hammered that £20 will seem like £200, the life of a Southend fan is not an easy one.

I’d say well over 60 years actually-are you not ageing as fast as the rest of us- which means he’s seen well over 2000 games.

Be patient I said to him on Saturday - Mr Bond will sort it out!
Of course we come from the days of when we started we had 2 full backs, 3 half backs and 5 forwards and 1 of the wing halves attacked as well. In those days goalkeepers had to make saves as well. A minor cup was the Essex Professional and the team picked often was the first team - there were probably no more than 16-17 professionals anyway.

Then the administrators took over the game and now we have 7 subs and need squads of 24 plus a group of under 23s which keep youth unemployment numbers down - most of whom will never make it as a professional. We also have no reserve games at our level and a binding transfer window.

In the general scheme of things unless “squad players” play in the cups some of them would never play a game of football. Hence cups have become devalued - self perpetuating.

Dear Grapevine - unfortunately I think your synopsis is probably correct and Mfurok is extremely frustrated by it as indeed am I - but don’t take it personally.

If your outlook is correct no doubt Mr Bond will say I picked a team good enough to win the game but the players let me down. They knock on my door every week saying they should be in the team but have shown I’m right and they’re wrong.

The problem is that I don't think Mr Bond "will sort it out." I'm guessing you don't either and obviously nor does mfurok.

KB's win ratio after 8 games is currently 25%.Inevitably,I think ,that will decrease tonight and at the weekend and will continue to fall as long as he's in charge.I'll be over to see us play against Ipswich in late October.I'd be astonished if KB is still our manager then.

Edit.Sorry to be pedantic but I think you'll find that "well over 50 years" also includes (in this particular case) "well over 60 years." :Winking:

Last edited:
When we played Stevenage in the Checkatrade, they couldn't be arsed to open their bar. Lets hope they treat the few that do go tonight a bit better.

I think they are still bitter about their semi-final defeat in the play-offs. Their chairman was full of himself when we had lost in the league up there just a few months before.

That clown Graham Westley, tried to stop PB and Coughlan from attending an under 23's game....

Back