• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When we played Stevenage in the Checkatrade, they couldn't be arsed to open their bar. Lets hope they treat the few that do go tonight a bit better.

I think they are still bitter about their semi-final defeat in the play-offs. Their chairman was full of himself when we had lost in the league up there just a few months before.

That clown Graham Westley, tried to stop PB and Coughlan from attending an under 23's game....
Apparently we are welcome in the bar tonight, pie & a pint £5

The problem is that I don't think Mr Bond "will sort it out." I'm guessing you don't either and obviously nor does mfurok.

KB's win ratio after 8 games is currently 25%.Inevitably,I think ,that will decrease tonight and at the weekend and will continue to fall as long as he's in charge.I'll be over to see us play against Ipswich in late October.I'd be astonished if KB is still our manager then.

Edit.Sorry to be pedantic but I think you'll find that "well over 50 years" also includes (in this particular case) "well over 60 years." :Winking:

A managers win ratio can be extremely misleading as to his qualities.....

Someone pointed out quite correctly last week when I said Olly Lee had a goal/game ratio of 1 in 10 and it was pointed out that that’s not reflective of the first 100 games of his 400 were as a kid breaking through, finding his feet, in and out the side and not in his best position....and that’s not a reflection of him now at 28 in his prime....fair point.

The same can be said of managers. Invariably they take a job because the previous manager has been sacked due to poor results....invariably that’s because a team isnt good enough at the level they’re playing at...

In this case, he took a team that was a) decimated by injuries b) in complete freefall c) rock bottom morale and confidence and d) players who were not good enough!!

This season he is still lumbered with some of the same dead wood and in adding to the squad with his own players is finding it hard in a relatively very short space of time to find the way to win games. This is still largely due to having to shift momentum...in the players psyche as well as the fans perception of the current situation.....it’s very hard to shift such a negative feel around the entire situation - particularly evident at home games.....

The change has started. The new signings (Ridgewell apart - at the moment) have all looked good value and upgrades on what was there.

The style of play, even in its infancy is a massive step forwards and an improvement on last year but it will take time and a continued evolution of personnel and most importantly some luck to get a result or two that will improve the confidence that’s so essential to playing this way with these types of players.....

Therefore his win ratio during this period isn’t likely to improve much particularly quickly...however with the changes I see happening id take a slow start and some gradual improvements that have some longevity over a new manager bounce based on some extra enthusiasm and work rate from the same players and system that can’t be sustained.....

A managers win ratio can be extremely misleading as to his qualities.....

Someone pointed out quite correctly last week when I said Olly Lee had a goal/game ratio of 1 in 10 and it was pointed out that that’s not reflective of the first 100 games of his 400 were as a kid breaking through, finding his feet, in and out the side and not in his best position....and that’s not a reflection of him now at 28 in his prime....fair point.

The same can be said of managers. Invariably they take a job because the previous manager has been sacked due to poor results....invariably that’s because a team isnt good enough at the level they’re playing at...

In this case, he took a team that was a) decimated by injuries b) in complete freefall c) rock bottom morale and confidence and d) players who were not good enough!!

This season he is still lumbered with some of the same dead wood and in adding to the squad with his own players is finding it hard in a relatively very short space of time to find the way to win games. This is still largely due to having to shift momentum...in the players psyche as well as the fans perception of the current situation.....it’s very hard to shift such a negative feel around the entire situation - particularly evident at home games.....

The change has started. The new signings (Ridgewell apart - at the moment) have all looked good value and upgrades on what was there.

The style of play, even in its infancy is a massive step forwards and an improvement on last year but it will take time and a continued evolution of personnel and most importantly some luck to get a result or two that will improve the confidence that’s so essential to playing this way with these types of players.....

Therefore his win ratio during this period isn’t likely to improve much particularly quickly...however with the changes I see happening id take a slow start and some gradual improvements that have some longevity over a new manager bounce based on some extra enthusiasm and work rate from the same players and system that can’t be sustained.....
Who do you class as dead wood ?

Unless they are directed at rigsby :Cool:

It reminds me of a few spats we would have in earlier days. I used to get quite feisty and that was my bad. I actually agree with a lot you say and when I don't I will try to address it respectfully. If I want, as with any poster, i can just ignore it. The Zone is a really good place to be for a Blues supporter and we come in all shapes, sizes and opinions. I expect Gripevine will see a better way or grow a thicker skin. :Smile:

£20 is outrageous for tonights game, not sure what to do, if I don't go we will win 6-0, if I do go and pay £20 to watch us get hammered that £20 will seem like £200, the life of a Southend fan is not an easy one.

I think the record books will need checking tonight for the lowest league Cup attendance for a game involving Southend - less than1,000 I'd guess.

SOUTHEND United striker Brandon Goodship will not feature in tonight’s Carabao Cup first round tie at Stevenage.

More...

I am not sure if it has been quoted elsewhere but Stevenage are also charging £20 for a Senior over 65 ticket, outrageous. One of the reasons that I am giving this one a miss.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond is keen to see a reaction from his side in this evening’s Carabao Cup first round tie at Stevenage.

More...

SIMON Cox feels tonight’s Carabao Cup tie at Stevenage is an ‘important’ clash for Southend United’s season.

More...

The problem is that I don't think Mr Bond "will sort it out." I'm guessing you don't either and obviously nor does mfurok.

Finishing in the top 20 will be a success. I have an open mind at the moment - teams need to evolve -being a southern team in a northern league doesn't help - there are still too many out injured - Humphrys is psychologically protecting his nose - it possibly only needs a player or two to change the dynamics - a bit of pace and skill.

Worryingly its the attitude - both games the opposition have started by tearing into us and we haven't coped. A bit of front foot and positivity wouldn't go amiss.

It's what we need to change for tonight.

Edit.Sorry to be pedantic but I think you'll find that "well over 50 years" also includes (in this particular case) "well over 60 years.":Winking:

So does well over 10 years - lets face it we will all 3 of us be 70 in 2021/22 season wont we?!

Bit of technical incompetence there putting my responses in the quote

Last edited:

I absolutely agree that "finishing in the top 20 will be a success". Don't think we will under the present manager though,nor do I think he'll be with us in May.

Your final comment is also on the money,sadly.:Winking:

Can you elucidate on that and if neceassary, provide a link to your info? My ifollow page on the OS seems to indicate that there will be coverage, only, as I said on an earlier post, I'm not sure if it will be video or just live commentary.

Indeed.This is what's currently on display:- "Visit the Live Match Centre to access form guides, live text commentary and live access to the match on iFollow."

I think someone said on another thread that it's not on ifollow. That's rubbish.

I was booked on the coach to go but the coach was cancelled. Then the ticket prices were announced and I am now glad it was cancelled. Taking the right mick out of everyone, including their own supporters. Weird decision.

Bond hasn't a clue what our strongest formation or side is yet going by the poorly planned pre season. 2 very different formations and personal changes showed that. Who knows what he is going to do tomorrow.
Hold on .... remember this ... relax the transfer window doesn’t close until September, plenty of players are still on holiday along with their agents.... I don’t care when we do our business as long as it’s the right business ... bringing players in early doesn’t mean a thing etc etc etc

Then when we start the season looking like clueless individuals who don’t even know each other’s names, the manager is then held accountable ???

This is exactly we we are late late starters year in year out

Audio only on ifollow tonight. Don't know if anyone answered the question about 4 pages ago, I can't be bothered to trawl through the usual bickering and arguing to find out.

I am not sure if it has been quoted elsewhere but Stevenage are also charging £20 for a Senior over 65 ticket, outrageous. One of the reasons that I am giving this one a miss.
Normal league match concession price at Stevenage is £20, Normal Adult £22. So a massive £2 saving for an adult and zero saving for concession for this match.
What I have not seen is if there is a price increase for on the day tickets?

Back