• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hold on .... remember this ... relax the transfer window doesn’t close until September, plenty of players are still on holiday along with their agents.... I don’t care when we do our business as long as it’s the right business ... bringing players in early doesn’t mean a thing etc etc etc

Then when we start the season looking like clueless individuals who don’t even know each other’s names, the manager is then held accountable ???

This is exactly we we are late late starters year in year out

I'm not sure we should be taking any players on if they are STILL on holiday... surely they must be training somewhere? Even out of contract players will usually find a pro or semi pro club to train with in order to keep the fitness levels up.

I think the record books will need checking tonight for the lowest league Cup attendance for a game involving Southend - less than1,000 I'd guess.
I have not got access to all the recent league cup crowds but one of the lowest away crowds i can see is at Cheltenham in 2009 the crowd was 1,918.

At home we had a crowd of only 1,359 v Brentford in 1986.

Can you elucidate on that and if neceassary, provide a link to your info? My ifollow page on the OS seems to indicate that there will be coverage, only, as I said on an earlier post, I'm not sure if it will be video or just live commentary.
Mate works for the club and asked for me yesterday - club has confirmed today as mentioned above

Bond wont want to lose this one: He clearly wants a clean sheet:

--------------------------------------oxley-------------------------------------------------------
elvis--demetriou--white--shaughnessy--kiernan--lennon--ridgewell-kypriano--blackman--ralph
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bond wont want to lose this one: He clearly wants a clean sheet:

--------------------------------------oxley-------------------------------------------------------
elvis--demetriou--white--shaughnessy--kiernan--lennon--ridgewell-kypriano--blackman--ralph
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can any of them take penalties?

The problem is that I don't think Mr Bond "will sort it out." I'm guessing you don't either and obviously nor does mfurok.

KB's win ratio after 8 games is currently 25%.Inevitably,I think ,that will decrease tonight and at the weekend and will continue to fall as long as he's in charge.I'll be over to see us play against Ipswich in late October.I'd be astonished if KB is still our manager then.

Edit.Sorry to be pedantic but I think you'll find that "well over 50 years" also includes (in this particular case) "well over 60 years." :Winking:
Please please, for the nth time, win ratio is an inaccurate measure when evaluating a manager's success; points per game ratio is what should be used. Just because those muppets at Sky who require constant IPad prompts use it, doesn't make it any more relevant. I thank you.

Please please, for the nth time, win ratio is an inaccurate measure when evaluating a manager's success; points per game ratio is what should be used. Just because those muppets at Sky who require constant IPad prompts use it, doesn't make it any more relevant. I thank you.

Why is it irrelevant? Why is points per game better?

I like win ratios. I also think longevity should be a barometer of success.

Why is it irrelevant? Why is points per game better?

I like win ratios. I also think longevity should be a barometer of success.
Didn't think an example was necessary, but clearly it is.
Team 1 has a record of 4 wins , 9 draws and 1 defeat
Team 2 has a record of 6 wins , 0 draws and 8 defeats.

Team 1 has a win ratio of 28.5% (4 out of 14)
Team 2 has a win ratio of 42.8% (6 out of 14)

However team 1 has 21 points (1.5 per game)
Team 2 has 18 points (1.3 per game)

Guess who is higher in the table? Average points trumps wins every time.

Sorry but I never watch Sky.

Didn't think an example was necessary, but clearly it is.
Team 1 has a record of 4 wins , 9 draws and 1 defeat
Team 2 has a record of 6 wins , 0 draws and 8 defeats.

Team 1 has a win ratio of 28.5% (4 out of 14)
Team 2 has a win ratio of 42.8% (6 out of 14)

However team 1 has 21 points (1.5 per game)
Team 2 has 18 points (1.3 per game)

Guess who is higher in the table? Average points trumps wins every time.

Or on the other hand:

Played 10, win 5, lose 5. WR of 50%, 15 points or 1.5 point average
Played 10, win 3, draw 1, lose 6, WR of 30%, only 10 points or 1 point average

ps points dont take into account cup runs. (not that we have any)

You can dress it up any way you want, a crap win ratio gets you nowhere, and in your example, 1.5 points per game is still only 69 points across a season,

Or on the other hand:

Played 10, win 5, lose 5. WR of 50%, 15 points or 1.5 point average
Played 10, win 3, draw 1, lose 6, WR of 30%, only 10 points or 1 point average

ps points dont take into account cup runs. (not that we have any)

You can dress it up any way you want, a crap win ratio gets you nowhere, and in your example, 1.5 points per game is still only 69 points across a season,
Of course there will be examples where a team with a better win ratio would be higher in the table than one with a lower one.
The point is (which I think you are missing), is that sometimes it is not the case (as in my example).

However a team with a higher points per game ratio will always be more successful than one with a lower one.

Agreed, points don't apply in cups, but you could use a measure such as "net wins" which would be "wins minus losses" to measure success in knock out competitions.

You got me lost with the 69 points thing. I was merely providing a made up example.

Of course there will be examples where a team with a better win ratio would be higher in the table than one with a lower one.
The point is (which I think you are missing), is that sometimes it is not the case (as in my example).

However a team with a higher points per game ratio will always be more successful than one with a lower one.

Agreed, points don't apply in cups, but you could use a measure such as "net wins" which would be "wins minus losses" to measure success in knock out competitions.

You got me lost with the 69 points thing. I was merely providing a made up example.

All I’m saying is a crap win ratio is still a crap ratio and therefore doesn’t signify success

Back