• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
So, an opportunity to finally get the season started against League Two opposition. Will we take the chance? What formation will we play? Who needs minutes?

Personally I think a few people who’ve been **** so far and are close to the last chance saloon with Bond will get run outs. If they can’t show something decent their place in the squad will be under threat. Plus a few coming back from injury. Demetriou, Goodship, Hyam, Cox, McLaughlin all likely to feature. Will Bishop get a chance to impress?

Ive got my ticket and will stay over in Hitchin with in laws/family who support Stevenage !!

Interesting one this, clearly some if fit could do with a full run out or at least partial. This might apply to Demetriou ( although Bwomono is better and longer term prospect ) Dieng and more game time for Ridgewell , who I am sure will come good, although not so sure about on the left in a back 3 !
Hyam looks much fitter, needs to get 90 minutes and Goodyear in a more striking role.? Does Cox need more game time or partial? Bring on the Duck full time to see more of him and Bishop in goal, I would expect John White to get some time

Does anyone know if we will be able to watch this on ifollow or is that only league games?

Would be nice to get a win and be in with a chance of a decent cup run. I’m fed up of getting booted out of these competitions so bloody early every season.

Will also be fascinated to see if Bond, who I am beginning to think is more of a systems man, determines to continue to want to play good possession football from the back, with a back 3 again, Big problem if you keep constantly changing the system how do you get used to settling it in, I realise you need adaptability and Bond acted quickly against Coventry to switch things around, but , is he largely going to persevere with a back 3 and attacking wing backs?

I can’t decide if to go to this one or not, only 45 mins from girlfriends in Harlow so just a short trip for me, think I’ll decide on the day.

Dilemma, put first team out, kick start momentum for the league and get much needed confidence and hopefully get a cup run, or throw a few squad players in... I’d go for the latter

Will also be fascinated to see if Bond, who I am beginning to think is more of a systems man, determines to continue to want to play good possession football from the back, with a back 3 again, Big problem if you keep constantly changing the system how do you get used to settling it in, I realise you need adaptability and Bond acted quickly against Coventry to switch things around, but , is he largely going to persevere with a back 3 and attacking wing backs?

Don’t see an issue with this format if you’ve the two midfielders who compliment the system... and the defenders who can defend... and a goalkeeper who can save.. oh, strikers that can score. But otherwise, it’s great

Does anyone know if we will be able to watch this on ifollow or is that only league games?
It's not clear yet mate. Last season Cup games mid week were available for us UK dwellers. Sooner or later the Live Match Centre will have more info so keep an eye open for that. If it's on there will be a 'buy match pass' bit somewhere on there.

It's not clear yet mate. Last season Cup games mid week were available for us UK dwellers. Sooner or later the Live Match Centre will have more info so keep an eye open for that. If it's on there will be a 'buy match pass' bit somewhere on there.

My local team so going with my son in law. I expect changes to give people minutes expect to see Bishop and White playing

Bishop
Elvis Shaunessy Lennon Ralph
...........Hyam.................Mantom.
............................Cox ...................
Ndukwu........Humphrys........Robinson.

Not sure that Milligan can play three full games in a week so have saved him for the Lincoln game.
Have added Ndukwu and Robinson up front just for their pace which I think would terrorise any defence.

Bishop

Elvis-Lennon-Shaun-Ralph
Ndukwu-Milligan-Mantom-Hutchinson
Cox-Humphrys

Although I attend most away games, I am certainly going to give this game a miss. Unlike the vast majority of clubs, greedy Stevenage are expecting fans to pay full price as if it were a league fixture @ £20 and no reduction for concessions! It is already beginning to look like a long hard season ahead so my boycott against Stevenage is an easy decision.

Although I attend most away games, I am certainly going to give this game a miss. Unlike the vast majority of clubs, greedy Stevenage are expecting fans to pay full price as if it were a league fixture @ £20 and no reduction for concessions! It is already beginning to look like a long hard season ahead so my boycott against Stevenage is an easy decision.
Apparently £20 is a reduced admission price. They normally charge £22 in advance or £24 On the day for league games. (Adult prices)

According to Stevenage fans we are a terrible side and ripe for relegation but are favourites to win.Lets hope Bond puts out a side that's 442 and does the business

I think Bond will stick with his system, he can't back down after that shocking post match interview and has backed himself into a corner with just 2 games gone.

Therefore, bearing his system in mind, I think he will go, providing all these players are fit and up for selection:

------------------------ Bishop

----------- White ---- Lennon----- Shaughnessy

Bwomono-------------- Milligan -----------------------Ralph

-----------Mantom -------------McLaughlin

--------------------------------- Cox
------------- Robinson

Trying to fit the players into the system for me highlights the need for increased quality in midfield. Also I think with Theo's success at this level last season, he will and should be given a go from the start in this fixture.

With John White's experience at right back I also believe he would be a good support to Elvis, and verbally be able to support his positional play, with both Coventry and Blackpool catching us out with balls over the wing backs into space when we lose possession when pushing forward.

For me McLaughlin has been better defensively and is an improved player with this aspect of his game and if, as a lot of people feel, he should be sent on loan for a spell in L2, then for me he is an option for this fixture.

Suduko would offer pace from the bench, Humphreys maybe needs a little pressure taken off of him and I would start him at Lincoln.

Milligan and Ralph have been pretty consistent for the first couple of games and if this game is going to kick start our season, I wouldn't leave them out, same goes for Lennon.

Mantom gets in for me, again due to the lack of options in midfield, Cox as well as being the focus for the creativity and support going forward needs the match time, and a perfect option for Bishop to make an impact.

Football is a game of opinions, the one that counts is obviously Mr Bond's, let's hope he has not "lost" the dressing room and whoever he picks, we can get a performance that honours the shirt, the players and the fans.

Back