• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United - Carabao Cup

I didn’t watch tonight but I presume he played wide right judging on the other players in the team

If your saying we’re being overrun in midfield all game in the league games when he has only played there once which was against Blackpool where he was arguably one of the better central midfielders in that game

Is he just an easy target to pick on when things aren’t going right as he’s young?
No He played midfield at Coventry and I saw him at the end of last season. I ve nothing against the lad but he isnt ready for the first team. He looks lost, not comfortable on the ball and gets knocked off the ball to easy.

No He played midfield at Coventry and I saw him at the end of last season. I ve nothing against the lad but he isnt ready for the first team. He looks lost, not comfortable on the ball and gets knocked off the ball to easy.

You didn’t see him at the end of last season at all...... He played less than 10 mins in CPs last game at Wycombe in March, he didn’t feature for KB in any game at all.

Prior to Peterborough the previous time he played was in February in the 1-1 draw with Accrington (did you go?) and the week before he came on in the 3-3 draw with Portsmouth!!!

So assuming you were at Peterborough you basically saw him for injury time.....and assuming you didn’t go to Accrington you saw last saw him play reasonable minutes last season in February?

So this season you saw him play 45 v Coventry where he was out of position at Right midfield in a markedly improved 2nd half performance.....and you saw KB make three subs v Blackpool while he played 90 mins prob being one of our better players...despite playing three different positions in the 90 and you missed Stevenage where he again played 90 mins out of position in Right mid......

You ever thought about a job in recruitment mate?

You didn’t see him at the end of last season at all...... He played less than 10 mins in CPs last game at Wycombe in March, he didn’t feature for KB in any game at all.

Prior to Peterborough the previous time he played was in February in the 1-1 draw with Accrington (did you go?) and the week before he came on in the 3-3 draw with Portsmouth!!!

So assuming you were at Peterborough you basically saw him for injury time.....and assuming you didn’t go to Accrington you saw last saw him play reasonable minutes last season in February?

So this season you saw him play 45 v Coventry where he was out of position at Right midfield in a markedly improved 2nd half performance.....and you saw KB make three subs v Blackpool while he played 90 mins prob being one of our better players...despite playing three different positions in the 90 and you missed Stevenage where he again played 90 mins out of position in Right mid......

You ever thought about a job in recruitment mate?
Ever thought about a job in diplomacy?

Nope. If someone makes a statement the least they can do is make it accurate.
Well the bit about Hutchinson being knocked off the ball easily was accurate. Yes, he has potential, but at the moment is far too lightweight, certainly for our current limited midfield. That is why we need Oli Lee as a matter of urgency.
Oh, and our "marked improvement" at Coventry was in the last 10-15 minutes, certainly not all of the second half. This was entirely due to the introduction of Cox and Humphries although to his credit, it was Hutchinson's cross which should have been put away by Shaughnessy.

Well the bit about Hutchinson being knocked off the ball easily was accurate. Yes, he has potential, but at the moment is far too lightweight, certainly for our current limited midfield. That is why we need Oli Lee as a matter of urgency.
Oh, and our "marked improvement" at Coventry was in the last 10-15 minutes, certainly not all of the second half. This was entirely due to the introduction of Cox and Humphries although to his credit, it was Hutchinson's cross which should have been put away by Shaughnessy.

Entirely due to the introduction of Cox and Humphrys? Is that opinion, perception or factual?

The culmination of our improvement was in the last 15 mins....but improvement doesn’t always show evidence or fruition immediately. The last 15 were actually when Hutchinson was most involved....

The fact is that since half time Hutchinson and Cox have played every minute....Bond must be quite happy?

The fact is Hutchinson created the only clear cut goal opportunity of the game....

Every single players has been knocked off the ball, including our so called ball winners...I saw Cox lose out and actually get knocked off the ball several times v Blackpool and also v Stevenage...is he too lightweight?

Im not saying he’s been outstanding or our best player......I’m saying he’s been as good as anyone else and perception is being used because it’s far easier to blame a kid than it is to substantiate any blame on a senior player when whoever does, may be forced to justify it.....

Anyone is entitled to their opinion. I have no problem with that. My opinions are well documented....but I also take considerable time to substantiate them and where possible offer as much evidence as possible to support them.

Yours or anyone else’s opinion may well differ from mine and you or anyone else are completely entitled to that....

My problem only lies when opinions are formed and tainted by perception rather than anything else. It’s not just football, this happens everywhere in life....but perception is a powerful thing and once an act is perceived to be actual it too often perpetuates into fact and popular opinion....

Players will get knocked off the ball....all the time.....particularly players who play with it in close proximity to their body in tight areas whilst trying to manipulate space....or create / score goals.

However I’ve watched the full recording of all three games so far....closely....there is no evidence whatsoever to show he has been knocked off the ball while in possession of it any more than any other player...and it may surprise you to hear when I counted up, v Blackpool AND Stevenage, he was actually knocked off it less times than Cox in both games....

Opinion on whether he or anyone else played well or not is all well and good....even better if we can understand or be explained to as to why you think it....

But some things can be counted....

Slightly off topic I know but, as a matter of interest, has anyone ever seen Grapevine and Rigsby together in the same room at the same time?

Glad your not involved in team selection, go on admit it your on a windup
No,totally serious—perhaps if you watched and understood more football ,you might begin to realise that Bishop is very promising but ,like nearly all young keepers, still has a lot to learn and experience,while poor John White has many likeable characteristics,but has never been tall,fast or clever enough to exceed league 2 standards in any of the defensive positions.

No,totally serious—perhaps if you watched and understood more football ,you might begin to realise that Bishop is very promising but ,like nearly all young keepers, still has a lot to learn and experience,while poor John White has many likeable characteristics,but has never been tall,fast or clever enough to exceed league 2 standards in any of the defensive positions.
While I agree that Bishop is promising, same as Elvis, Kelman Hutchison, my personal view is he’s better than Ox who is a great shot stopper but poor in the air. Where I have sat for many years in block v west stand John White has become a fans favourite, he’s a solid reliable pro, very dependable, can’t remember the crowd on his back for years. You think you are an expert on football, I don’t but you are in a very small group with your thoughts on JW

Back