• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great to read several stories about the wild love of life Steve had.
Another view was that whilst not always reliable in one sense..he could be relied upon in other ways.
I unexpectedly returned home to Southend from Malta in Feb 2012. I moved into my new home in Kings Road on the Friday and had not really seen anyone but close family. On the Saturday I finished off the stuff to do at home but had no tv or car yet. So I wandered into town on a cold afternoon with remnants of the heavy snow I had come home to.
I walked around but felt a bit disappointed that there were no faces i recognised as people scurried around in the freezing gloom of a Winter weekend in central Southend.
I bought food at Sainsbury's and started to walk home. As I passed The Park Tavern I heard a familiar shout "Hoggy"!. It was Steve on the decking outside facing Nazareth House. Huge hug from Steve and he immediately shouted in for a couple of pints. He then started on the story of his latest escapades with the usual "Hollywood" drama thrown in. Suddenly I felt as if i had never been away. I was home and nothing had changed!

One surprising note from that sesh was that when Steve eventually ended his array of recent adventures told as one incredible story..he asked where I had been - he then astounded me with his incredible knowledge of Malta and its history. He knew as much as i had learned in my ten months on the island and had a depth of interest in history and culture that was a complete contrast to Waller the self styled ultimate lad.

Totally agree, Kev. He could talk to Kings and Clowns if he wanted to. Anyone he judged the 'book by the cover' missed a lot where Steve was concerned.

BBBL,
NOBODYS sure,but we think it was his heart.
TBH,im surprised Steve lived so long,the way he lived life.......but if anybody could..that git could:smile:

Any ideas when and where Steve's funeral is?

From Facebook

Dad's funeral has been booked for Monday 3rd at 4 o'clock at the West chapel in Southend crematorium. Please share guys and let everyone know. Southend football shirts/blue preferred to black. And the wake will be held at The Park Tavern.

Been wearing Steves old SUFC football shirt he gave me today(xxl!!).
I know Joe & Biffo has gone,but who else??
Joe was going to help carry Steve in...
Will have a few ciders for you on saturday mate..God bless

Well everyone gave a fellow Shrimper a great send-off, there were faces I have not seen for years and years.

There was a really good turn out for Steve, all seats taken, 4 deep standing down the sides and at the back, and even loads outside that could not get in. Nearly everyone was wearing blue which was nice to see.

Steve's coffin was taken into the crematorium to the sound of "Match of the Day" and at the end we had "Always look on the Bright Side of Life".

Steve's daughter gave a great emotional tribute to her Dad, and one of Steve's brothers said some stuff that had everyone laughing with a tear in the eye.

At the end of the service all the family placed a single rose on his coffin.

Then on to The Park Tavern to say a proper goodbye as Steve would have wanted.

A good send-off for a fellow Shrimper.

Hi guys - just in case you don't know, I was the 2nd Mrs Waller (the one Ozzie's wife actually liked, not the one in the wedding dress at a football match!). So nice to see all your comments, he definitely was a larger than life character hey. I shared this with our daughters; literally brought tears to their eyes. He would have been so chuffed to read your stories

The anniversary of his passing is next Tues 12th June and we are using the date to have a short memorial and sprinkling of ashes. Roots Hall have kindly agreed for us to do this on the pitch, so a little piece of him can permanently remain (another part of him is resting with the Egyptian Kings in the Valley of the Kings!). If any of you can attend it's happening at 4pm Tues 12 June 18 followed by the raising of a few glasses at the Spread Eagle.

Hi Karen, I hope you don't mind but we have another forum we have set up since the first post that is dedicated to ex fans etc and I will move this to there.

Hi Karen,
hope all is well.Last thing someone told me,was that you were working in Ireland.
Sorry i cannot be there,as you know im in Germany,but will have a beer or two for Steve,you,your family and great memories.
But get in touch with Joe and Biffo,im sure they will come xx

Hi - yes Ireland for five years, then Bristol for two and now Cardiff - I feel like a Beach Boys song (I get around!) Joe knows all about it and am sure he'll tell Biffo. Louise absolutely loved all your comments, thanks for remembering him! x

i came over for the SUFC V Crewe cup final and Louise put on my mobile ,the Match of the day tune,which Steve had..still got it on it.
Have got a photo,our last one together,both boozed,but Steve looking rather healthier.About 3 years ago...but dont know how to put the bloody thing on

Karen,if you can..please put a few photos on here.
Would be nice to see all of you next week(on photos)

Hi guys - just in case you don't know, I was the 2nd Mrs Waller (the one Ozzie's wife actually liked, not the one in the wedding dress at a football match!). So nice to see all your comments, he definitely was a larger than life character hey. I shared this with our daughters; literally brought tears to their eyes. He would have been so chuffed to read your stories

The anniversary of his passing is next Tues 12th June and we are using the date to have a short memorial and sprinkling of ashes. Roots Hall have kindly agreed for us to do this on the pitch, so a little piece of him can permanently remain (another part of him is resting with the Egyptian Kings in the Valley of the Kings!). If any of you can attend it's happening at 4pm Tues 12 June 18 followed by the raising of a few glasses at the Spread Eagle.

Hi Kate,
Great to see your post.
I have a picture with both you and Steve in The Spread Eagle in 91 when we celebrated promotion but blew the title.
Am in Spain these days.
Wonderful to see your post.
X

Back