• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stiffs this afternoon..

Pubey

is it general admission? not clear on the website even though its at RH at 2pm, also clashes with the Civic Centre meet-up.

can anyone shead any light!?

They did try charging admission last season for a few games but so far this season admission to the green seats has been free.

I doubt there will be many there as everyone will be down the Civic Centre won't they! Last game v Grays the crowd was just over 200.

cheers mate, been a few times it's usually a quid i think (or free for seasos). just wondering if the would do it behind closed doors to get more down the civic centre. might head down at 1.30pm and see what the craic is

Left at half time as i needed to get back to work but what i saw we were awful!
Gilbert was very poor got an absolute tongue lashing from hell from DA swearing left right and centre, then 3 minutes later he is subbed and stormed off down the tunnell i then noticed Austin proceed to follow him down im sure for round 2 of the verbals for the walking away.

Last edited:
just got in, lost 2-1. wouldn't have said we were awful during any part of the game. my views:

flavs: great saves as per usual
gilbert: subbed after 22mins after getting an absolute tongue lashing from Dean Austin, was very poor (maybe the last we see of him)
jonny hern: came on for gilbert (but at LB), looked pretty impressive for a youngster
zoltan: needs to bulk up, jury is still out because he was mugged a number of times, but showed good distribution
simon francis: was pretty average at CB but got into it after switching to RB, brilliant goal after gliding past about 5 players and slipping it near-post.
che: started at LB but moved to CB after gilbert was subbed... dogged but was mugged a couple of times
jamie forshaw: very classy on the ball, quick and smart. looks a great prospect if he grows!
moussa: very quiet first half but got into it and nearly scored after a smart one-two
peggy: doesn't looked a CM to me, decision making was poor but has a good touch
foran: got into the game a bit more when given the license to push higher... great in the air but game on the deck wasn't anything special
charlie mac: twisted and turned but didn't really ever break past the youngsters who were marking him. flashed a header wide but should have done better against a young posh defence
eric: looked better on the right wing in the second half, comes very deep so doesn't get to use his pace
charles ademeno: came on for the last 30 and could have scored 4 goals, some smart saves and bad misses but was probably our most dangerous striker today

Pretty poor game and with the possible exception of the front two who were starved of decent service for most of the game, its obvious why none of them are currently in the first team.

First goal was similar to Tranmere's first goal. From their first attack a low near post corner was swept in. other than Foreshaw missing a sitter, that was pretty much all the action first half. Second half was better. Francis scored a good goal before former target Whelpdale (who was otherwise quiet), surged infield, handed-off Moussa rugby-style and hit a shot from 25 yards which was deflected past a standed Flahavan. We then missed a host of chances late on and should really have got at least a point.

Flahavan 6 - very vocal first half, but when it comes to calling for it try calling before the centre-half has jumped for it. Came for 3 or 4 crosses on the edge of his 6 yard area, which was a definite improvement. Stood no chance with either goal, otherwise made two regulation saves.
Gilbert 5 - looked very poor, think he lost his man for the goal, otherwise positioning was poor and even air-kicked a clearance. Austin gave him a right bollocking and subbed him after about 20 minutes for either failing to follow instructions or possibly arguing and he disappeared down the tunnel.
Wilson 5.5 - started at left-back but switched to centre-back. Whelpdale only ran at him once, but looked to have the beating of him before Austin switched things around. Couldn't cope aerially with their no.9 R Howe, who was probably the best player out there, but that was a mismatch.
Liptak 6 - my first sighting of him and I'm not overly impressed. Doesn't appear to have a defender's instinct to attack the ball, but generally recovered well from his mistakes. When the ball is at his feet he looks quite cultured but as soon as it bounces shin high he starts slicing it into the air like he's Phil Whelan.
Francis 6 - 5 for the first half, when he was very poor,7 for the second half when he didn't have to defend. Started at centre-half but switched to right-back when Gilbert got subbed. A lack of concentration, getting in poor positions and clearing the ball along the deck into more dangerous positions were all evident again first half. Did fantastically well for his goal, cutting in past a number of players before scuffing it in with his left foot, but wasn't tested at all defensively second half.
Lokando 6.5 - involved a lot first half, but a lot quieter second half. Like all the youngsters had a decent touch and looking to off-load it and play little triangles. Got a couple of good tackles in second half but faded.
Moussa 6.5 - involved less than Lokando, but when he did he usually offered more quality. One sublime run first half saw Odhiambo play him through but he disappointedly lacked the composure to dink it over or successfully round the keeper. Second half he was more influential as the play went more through his rather than Lokando's half and was very unlucky not to score when after some more neat interplay he got in behind the Posh defence and hit the inside of the far post. I'd like to see him try and impose himself more on games like this.
Forshaw 4 - first half it kept going over his head or running past him. About the only time he touched it was when he missed a sitter from about 8 yards after great work from MacDonald. Not everyone makes it from the youth team and he looked out of his depth, although he looked better second half before being subbed. I suspect Canvey beckons.
Foran 5.5 - looks like a park player at time, in that his only attributes are his strength and aerial play. However he looks a lot better in the final third than he does in the rest of the pitch. He won some very dangerous far post headers and when level with the penalty area was able to drive to the by-line and smack in some dangerous crosses. he may not be the greatest player, but if you want to have a deep squad he offers something different.
MacDonald 6 - didn't get much in the way of service or support. His body positioning is top notch and the rest of his game is pretty decent, its just he lacks that little bit extra - be it pace or height to turn him into a top class forward.
Odhiambo 6 - like MacDonald lacked support and service, although this might have been less of an issue if they worked better together. Turns fantastically well, showed good pace on one occasion to outstrip the defence but the finish wasn't as good as the rest of the move.

Sub Herd 6 - didn't do much right or wrong as Peterborough barely tested him.
Ademano 6 - could have had a hattrick. not sure whether that is because he made things happen or whether Peterborough tired. Turned his man well for the best of his chances to leave himself one on one with the keeper, but shot unconvincingly before snatching at the rebound.

A few other snippets:

* The ref seemed to be on first name terms with Foran: Calm it down Richie!
* I was't quite in full ear-shot and so only caught about half of Dean Austin's tirade at Gilbert, but he appeared to use about four words, none of which would get past the filter on here.
* The ref kept yelling "ADVAN-TAGE" at random moments, but still blew up for free-kicks!
*The ref had a go at Liptak for not going back 10 yards like I told you, only for Francis to explain that he wasn't English. Not sure how well his English lessons are going.

A few other snippets:

* The ref seemed to be on first name terms with Foran: Calm it down Richie!
* I was't quite in full ear-shot and so only caught about half of Dean Austin's tirade at Gilbert, but he appeared to use about four words, none of which would get past the filter on here.
* The ref kept yelling "ADVAN-TAGE" at random moments, but still blew up for free-kicks!
*The ref had a go at Liptak for not going back 10 yards like I told you, only for Francis to explain that he wasn't English. Not sure how well his English lessons are going.

yeah those moments were funny, especially when the ref had a go at liptak and he looked so blank he didn't have a clue!

also "for fu*k sake peggy look fu*king up" by richie foran was pretty funny! amazing how the sound travels in an empty stadium!

Top report YB. The only thing that causes me a particularly heavy heart is:

Francis 6 - A lack of concentration, getting in poor positions and clearing the ball along the deck into more dangerous positions were all evident again first half.

Sadly, that seems to be Francis all over. He is the most perplexing of players. He clearly has the height, the engine and the touch to be a really top class footballer. So why does he turn his brain off half the time, and turn himself into a really average footballer?

:confused:

Here's hoping Tilly can solve that riddle before Simon wends his way to Stevenage...

:(

Poor old Gilbert. Cant see him getting a good report and i reckon he might be back off to Arsenal soon!

Poor old Gilbert. Cant see him getting a good report and i reckon he might be back off to Arsenal soon!

i thought i saw you there kev? what was your assessment of his 20min cameo?

francis was definitely better when playing RB (and he was carrying liptak whist at CB IMO). from what i saw of "Franno" today I would say looks fit and as eager to impress as is possible from Mr Rio Ferdinand-play-a-like. however as MtS said, he didn't impress in the areas he has failed to impress in before and so needs to work hard in the stiffs and training (and if he goes on loan) but i would be gutted if he went as he showed today he is class (both scoring and with his passing). i believe he has the attributes and just needs the mental application and tactical awareness to be top class

Top report YB. The only thing that causes me a particularly heavy heart is:

Sadly, that seems to be Francis all over. He is the most perplexing of players. He clearly has the height, the engine and the touch to be a really top class footballer. So why does he turn his brain off half the time, and turn himself into a really average footballer?

:confused:

Here's hoping Tilly can solve that riddle before Simon wends his way to Stevenage...

:(

I think the trouble with Francis is that he's always been able to get by on his physical attributes. As a junior his pace, his height, his natural tackling ability have been sufficient to get him out of trouble, so he never fully developed other aspects of his game such as his reading of the game, his concentration and his positioning (I doubt he played full-back, probably his "natural" position, in junior football as you don't play your best player at full-back). In professional football however you can't just rely on your pace.

I don't think we've helped him by playing him at centre-half in pre-season last year and I was disappointed to see him start there today. Ironically, the player who started there today, Gilbert, suffers from many of the same shortcomings. If there was one winner today, it was Lewis Hunt, who if his last two performances hadn't vindicated Tilly's faith, his two rivals' performances today certainly justified Hunt's selection.

I don't think he'll end up at Stevenage, but I think he'll be division 3 or 4 player, much like "Dangerous" Dave Morley. Fingers crossed though that Dean Austin, himself a former full-back can teach him how to play the position.

Pretty poor game and with the possible exception of the front two who were starved of decent service for most of the game, its obvious why none of them are currently in the first team.

First goal was similar to Tranmere's first goal. From their first attack a low near post corner was swept in. other than Foreshaw missing a sitter, that was pretty much all the action first half. Second half was better. Francis scored a good goal before former target Whelpdale (who was otherwise quiet), surged infield, handed-off Moussa rugby-style and hit a shot from 25 yards which was deflected past a standed Flahavan. We then missed a host of chances late on and should really have got at least a point.

Flahavan 6 - very vocal first half, but when it comes to calling for it try calling before the centre-half has jumped for it. Came for 3 or 4 crosses on the edge of his 6 yard area, which was a definite improvement. Stood no chance with either goal, otherwise made two regulation saves.
Gilbert 5 - looked very poor, think he lost his man for the goal, otherwise positioning was poor and even air-kicked a clearance. Austin gave him a right bollocking and subbed him after about 20 minutes for either failing to follow instructions or possibly arguing and he disappeared down the tunnel.
Wilson 5.5 - started at left-back but switched to centre-back. Whelpdale only ran at him once, but looked to have the beating of him before Austin switched things around. Couldn't cope aerially with their no.9 R Howe, who was probably the best player out there, but that was a mismatch.
Liptak 6 - my first sighting of him and I'm not overly impressed. Doesn't appear to have a defender's instinct to attack the ball, but generally recovered well from his mistakes. When the ball is at his feet he looks quite cultured but as soon as it bounces shin high he starts slicing it into the air like he's Phil Whelan.
Francis 6 - 5 for the first half, when he was very poor,7 for the second half when he didn't have to defend. Started at centre-half but switched to right-back when Gilbert got subbed. A lack of concentration, getting in poor positions and clearing the ball along the deck into more dangerous positions were all evident again first half. Did fantastically well for his goal, cutting in past a number of players before scuffing it in with his left foot, but wasn't tested at all defensively second half.
Lokando 6.5 - involved a lot first half, but a lot quieter second half. Like all the youngsters had a decent touch and looking to off-load it and play little triangles. Got a couple of good tackles in second half but faded.
Moussa 6.5 - involved less than Lokando, but when he did he usually offered more quality. One sublime run first half saw Odhiambo play him through but he disappointedly lacked the composure to dink it over or successfully round the keeper. Second half he was more influential as the play went more through his rather than Lokando's half and was very unlucky not to score when after some more neat interplay he got in behind the Posh defence and hit the inside of the far post. I'd like to see him try and impose himself more on games like this.
Forshaw 4 - first half it kept going over his head or running past him. About the only time he touched it was when he missed a sitter from about 8 yards after great work from MacDonald. Not everyone makes it from the youth team and he looked out of his depth, although he looked better second half before being subbed. I suspect Canvey beckons.
Foran 5.5 - looks like a park player at time, in that his only attributes are his strength and aerial play. However he looks a lot better in the final third than he does in the rest of the pitch. He won some very dangerous far post headers and when level with the penalty area was able to drive to the by-line and smack in some dangerous crosses. he may not be the greatest player, but if you want to have a deep squad he offers something different.
MacDonald 6 - didn't get much in the way of service or support. His body positioning is top notch and the rest of his game is pretty decent, its just he lacks that little bit extra - be it pace or height to turn him into a top class forward.
Odhiambo 6 - like MacDonald lacked support and service, although this might have been less of an issue if they worked better together. Turns fantastically well, showed good pace on one occasion to outstrip the defence but the finish wasn't as good as the rest of the move.

Sub Herd 6 - didn't do much right or wrong as Peterborough barely tested him.
Ademano 6 - could have had a hattrick. not sure whether that is because he made things happen or whether Peterborough tired. Turned his man well for the best of his chances to leave himself one on one with the keeper, but shot unconvincingly before snatching at the rebound.

Of those that matter........
Flavs, did not stop shouting all afternoon, excellent stop down to his left
Lipstick, if he was 6 months away when he joined us then he is now 9
Francis, nice dribbling run for the goal, a few errors but showed class at times
Gilbert, doubt we will see him again
Peggy, great touch but is he yet another sideways merchant?
Moussa, good touch as well but possibly been to the Maher school of creativity
Foran, always be a bit part player
Macdonald, poor first touch and still don't know what he is all about
Leicester bloke, no better than what we have already got

Back