• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ... Stockport

Mick

Life President
The man awarding the penalties on Saturday (if we dive in with our tackles like we did on Tuesday) will be Steve Bratt from Walsall. A young man in his very early 30s, this is his fourth season and he was part of the "talent group" of referees who were being groomed for future "stardom". I think that may have been disbanded.

He has progressed thus far without too much controversy and in his only other Southend match, he played his part in a cracking match ... our 4-3 away win at Crewe last season.

He will let the game flow given a chance but he won't hesitate to show cards if necessary. He almost doubled his card count for the season with 8 at Tranmere vs Colchester last week.

Assisting will be Martin Coy from County Durham and Scott Oldham from Blackpool with Darren Bond from Wigan assuming 4th Official duties.

Whatever happens on Saturday, if we don't win Tilson really should refrain from blaming the officials; it's doing his credibility no good at all.

love ref watch -

BUT ..... lets be honest League One refs are liable to misread incidents ....

Please, please please can we have a game with no opposition penalties!! 4 awarded to us will be ok though thanks.

Whatever happens on Saturday, if we don't win Tilson really should refrain from blaming the officials; it's doing his credibility no good at all.

Agree 100%. There's no hidden agenda, Tilly!

BUT ..... lets be honest League One refs are liable to misread incidents ....

More so than managers and coaches, or fans for that matter, who are 40 or 50 yards away? I doubt it.

is this the refs defence league - ?

my feeling is that at this level the refs we get are not good enough to go any further so are basically flawed failures who get things wrong and often destroy games -

and to be fair I have seen that work in our favour before - but as we are generally a fair footballing side it tends be us who are the victims of the hackers and cheats

my feeling is that at this level the refs we get are not good enough to go any further so are basically flawed failures who get things wrong and often destroy games -

and to be fair I have seen that work in our favour before - but as we are generally a fair footballing side it tends be us who are the victims of the hackers and cheats

There is no such thing as a League One referee. National List referees officiate across a range of Championship, League One and League Two matches. The perceived better ones get more Championship matches, the less experienced or less able rarely get Championship matches. Any referee who progresses to the Select Group of Premiership referees will have to go through a period as a National List referee.

Most high level games are extraordinarily difficult to referee, due in no small part to endemic cheating by players, managers and coaches. The pace of the game combinined with a dreadful lack of support from the powers that be to deal with dissent and also some very wooly wording of the offside law all contribute to making the match day experience for officials more challenging than it should be, A significant percentage of the crowd are unaware of the nuances of many of the Laws and biased in their interpretation. This adds to the pressures for these officials.

I think about 75% of them do as good a job as can be expected under the circumstances. Remember, at all levels, football needs referees more than most referees need football. If you think it's that easy, put your name down, do the courses and give it a go.

Mick has responded far more eloquently than I, and FWIW I wouldn't want to be a referee. Bear in mind the cheating that is endemic in football, from the slightest of things, like claiming corners & throws when players know full well they're are cheating, to diving etc and you can see the problems match officials have. Added to that you get cretins like Gray and Kamara dissecting every "mistake" a ref makes, this normally after they've watched it 50 times in a slow motion replay.

While I agree there are some pretty poor officials, they are not helped by the players and management of clubs.

There are often calls for ex players to take up the whistle such as ex cricketers and rugby players do. However footballers won't as they know the complete lack of respect match officials get.

There is no such thing as a League One referee. National List referees officiate across a range of Championship, League One and League Two matches. The perceived better ones get more Championship matches, the less experienced or less able rarely get Championship matches. Any referee who progresses to the Select Group of Premiership referees will have to go through a period as a National List referee.

Most high level games are extraordinarily difficult to referee, due in no small part to endemic cheating by players, managers and coaches. The pace of the game combinined with a dreadful lack of support from the powers that be to deal with dissent and also some very wooly wording of the offside law all contribute to making the match day experience for officials more challenging than it should be, A significant percentage of the crowd are unaware of the nuances of many of the Laws and biased in their interpretation. This adds to the pressures for these officials.

I think about 75% of them do as good a job as can be expected under the circumstances. Remember, at all levels, football needs referees more than most referees need football. If you think it's that easy, put your name down, do the courses and give it a go.

Well said, Mick - green for that.

:clap:

Today's ref was one of the worst I have witnessed at this level. Yes, we benefited and appeared to get most (if not all) of the 50/50s. Technically, and this is a view from a referee, he was awful.

Just take a look at our penalty. He obvioulsy doesn't give it (note the hands behind the back and shake of a head) and then he does with the aid of his assistant. Ref 3 yards away, assisant 40 yards away.

As I've said elsewhere, if I were a Stockport fan I'd be livid. Possibly even more livid than I was with the assistant at the Oldham game.

Today's ref was one of the worst I have witnessed at this level. Yes, we benefited and appeared to get most (if not all) of the 50/50s. Technically, and this is a view from a referee, he was awful.

Just take a look at our penalty. He obvioulsy doesn't give it (note the hands behind the back and shake of a head) and then he does with the aid of his assistant. Ref 3 yards away, assisant 40 yards away.

As I've said elsewhere, if I were a Stockport fan I'd be livid. Possibly even more livid than I was with the assistant at the Oldham game.

Can't disagree with that. Just watched the highlights and he definitely doesn't give it. I also thought the red was probably harsh as there was definitely a covering player and there was no certainty that he would score.

It is strange that referee's do usually take the advice of their Assistants in such circumstances.

There was a smilar incident in the MK Dons vs Norwich game on Sky a few weeks back when the referee indicated that the Norwich defender played the ball but the Assistant flagged for a penalty.

On the previous occassion I think the Assistant was wrong but yesterday's was a penalty, but the Referee should have given it, worrying that he didn't!

Yesterday's Referee did give a few '50-50' decisions in our favour, but nothing particularly noteworthy. I've seen a hell of a lost worse!

Stockport had six players booked, but they were all cynical fouls.

I think Tilson would have been hung by an angry mob if we'd signed him - maybe he should be given a bit more credit at times for knowing what he is doing.

Was Billy Jennings didn't rate him wasn't it? Think it was mentioned at the AGM. Thoroughly enjoyed it all yesterday!

Was Billy Jennings didn't rate him wasn't it? Think it was mentioned at the AGM. Thoroughly enjoyed it all yesterday!

Yes it was Billy Jennings. Good judgement by the sounds of it, will all those people that berated Tilly and the club for not shelling out £50k for him please form an orderly queue to receive their slice of humble pie ???

Yes it was Billy Jennings. Good judgement by the sounds of it, will all those people that berated Tilly and the club for not shelling out £50k for him please form an orderly queue to receive their slice of humble pie ???

Same as always though isn't it? They get berated because they aren't doing what certain people think they should be but they're almost always vindicated in the long run.

As you know, it's often as much about angles as distance. That's why it is so important that the officials work as a team and try to get as many as possible of the big decisions correct between them. It might have been better for his credibility if he'd looked at his assistant before shaking his head !

Back