• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
I thought i would answer some of these incredible posts that have i believe tarnished this very good forum.I do believe in freedom of speech but i wonder if some of these supporters negativity is beneficial to the cause. The managers five year plan is to structure the club solidifying us as a top first division side with a strong squad and productive youth policy and country wide scouting network progressing to flirting with promotion to the championship and this happening hand in hand with the building of the stadium. Talking to the gaffer on these topics shows me his commitment to this club wether he gets the time to do shape his dream is in the lap of the gods. But the home form and results are he thinks the key to promotion. The discenchanted few that turn up every week in negative mode and taint the support from start to finish i dont think they realise how detrimental to the cause they are there comments to individual players can cause apprehension and lose of confidence. Yes you pay your money and are entitled to your thoughts and comments but surely as a supporter you want the best for your team. We are in a league that is the hardest to get out of the four and yes there has been games that have not been pretty but you out there are supporters of southend thro thick and thin through the good and bad please think about your comments am sure the players read these forums and the negativity shown to them cannot help. Oh i forgot the thread is Stoke City in europe in top ten and solidified in premiership but not pretty i rest my case a wee birdie told me the gaffer wanted these thoughts public.

I thought i would answer some of these incredible posts that have i believe tarnished this very good forum.I do believe in freedom of speech but i wonder if some of these supporters negativity is beneficial to the cause. The managers five year plan is to structure the club solidifying us as a top first division side with a strong squad and productive youth policy and country wide scouting network progressing to flirting with promotion to the championship and this happening hand in hand with the building of the stadium. Talking to the gaffer on these topics shows me his commitment to this club wether he gets the time to do shape his dream is in the lap of the gods. But the home form and results are he thinks the key to promotion. The discenchanted few that turn up every week in negative mode and taint the support from start to finish i dont think they realise how detrimental to the cause they are there comments to individual players can cause apprehension and lose of confidence. Yes you pay your money and are entitled to your thoughts and comments but surely as a supporter you want the best for your team. We are in a league that is the hardest to get out of the four and yes there has been games that have not been pretty but you out there are supporters of southend thro thick and thin through the good and bad please think about your comments am sure the players read these forums and the negativity shown to them cannot help. Oh i forgot the thread is Stoke City in europe in top ten and solidified in premiership but not pretty i rest my case a wee birdie told me the gaffer wanted these thoughts public.

Hey Cluniemore - wondered when you'd turn up !

After two not very pretty wins and 6 points this week we are now as good as in the play-offs. Just the business end to deal with and after yesterday's performance we have enough in our locker to see that battle through successfuly. So part one of mission impossible is close to being accomplished.

My biggest worry is that Paul Sturrock will lose heart and throw in the towel before the 5 years is up or a better offer will come his way. Our respected Chairman has a habit of ****ing off all and sundry sooner or later and I am amazed there hasn't been a public dust-up between RM and PS before now.

I totally agree. we all have our thoughts on which players are good and which are not so good. However, no matter what, when they pull on the shirt on a match day we should all encourage and support whether thing are going well or badly. It really doesn't help if a player is getting barracked as I know that not a single player we have would try and give anything less than 100% when selected. I personally was gutted for Luke Prosser yesterday as I thought he had a great game at Gillingham, indeed I have come to believe what a good player he is since Port Vale away last year, and to lose his place through flu, he must have been gutted. Peter Gilbert gets a lot of stick, but yesterday he did everything that could be asked of him and I thought he did really well. It probably did him good to lose his place at Gillingham as it seemed to give him the kick start he needed.

As for Liam Dickinson I am at a loss to understand how much stick he gets. He runs himself into the ground for the cause, chases balls that most would give up on and really has the ability as he has showed throughout the season. He hasn't scored the goals that he has by being a bad player and anyone that gives as much effort as he does deserves the respect and support of the fans. Players hear comments, they read these threads, and it must hurt when you know you're giving your all just to read all the criticism and negativity. It's a really hard job playing as a lone striker and he's done the job admirably. He's done really well this year and should get the credit he deserves.

It's hardly suprising that we are so much more relaxed away from home. The support continues to be great and that generates through to the players who all look so much more relaxed, which in itself has given the team the platform to pick up so many good results away. We need to generate the same support at home.

I understand everyone pays their money and has the right of opinion but, for Gods sake, we're still up there, and I for one don't care how we do it, what style of play we adopt, I just want us out of this division, and in PS we have a manager not only that can do that, but also is probably one of very few managers who at the time he accepted the post, would have given us a second look. Why then get on the players backs when things aren't going so well, lift them, encourage them and believe me they will respond, they need our support and quite truthfully, deserve it.

We have a great manager and a very good side and just need to keep the momentum going to then end of the season so just get behind the team and give them the support they deserve.

Well said, and it's good to hear that the manager has a long term plan and commitment to the club. I've never understood how some fans can constantly abuse certain players, and this set isn't bad considering some of the dross I've seen at the club over the years. Fans do have the right to criticise and air their views in this or for that matter any other forum. And if we've witnessed a sub standard performance we also have the right to give them the bird (not a wee birdie) at the end of the match.

Where I do take issue is over Stoke City, they have considerable advantages over us, they've a new stadium, they've been run soundly financially which may help as their Chairman / Owner is a multi millionaire whereas ours hasn't a pot to **** in.

Yes you pay your money and are entitled to your thoughts and comments but surely as a supporter you want the best for your team.

I do want the best for my club, hence why I've aligned myself with the Sturrock & Hoofball is not a good match for Southend United side of things...

Sorry, but that's the way it is & will remain, no matter what comedy five-year plans or emulation of teams like Stoke City come to pass!

I totally agree with sturrock

out of interest did Dickinson and Gilbert get grief yesterday?

I am in W block and I honestly dont hear the abuse that is given

and I'm still amazed Stoke have any fans left. It must be heartbreaking to have to turn up and watch that sort of anti-football every week. I honestly don't think I would pay Premiership Prices to watch that style of play. It's embarrassing.

The last time I looked, the idea was to score more than the
other team. All this purist ***** is pathetic. Grow up.

and I'm still amazed Stoke have any fans left. It must be heartbreaking to have to turn up and watch that sort of anti-football every week. I honestly don't think I would pay Premiership Prices to watch that style of play. It's embarrassing.

Spot on.
I befriended a Stoke fan on holiday last summer, after comparing the "styles" of our respective teams and going through where I felt (at that time) we were going nowhere with the one-trick pony hoof it as hard as you can tactics, he gave me a reality check by saying we're division 4 where it's more acceptable. Imagine what it's like for their long-term die hards having seen 25years of poor performances, relegations etc that when they finally sort themselves out & are on the up the chairman decides to employ Pulis. Fans deserted immediately & are still boycotting even after decent Premier League performances, cup-runs, European football & signings of international players.

I'm definitely more of a "football is an art, not a science" kind of person. The boycotting I feel is in the process of settling down at RH just now, people are sticking with it because of league position, but promotion/playoff failure or continuation of these "tactics" in higher divisions will see some very long term empty gaps in the seats at Roots Hall & the new stadium if/when we ever move.

I like this.

If this style of football gets us out of League 2 I don't give a s***

If we continue to play this style in League One and struggle (which I believe it will) then I have, and am sure even more of us will have problems turning up to watch it.

Whilst the style isn't pretty, it is effective, and at times in the 2nd half yesterday we played some really nice football, with one-two's and some first touch passing.

We have the players to play good football, and I am hopefully assuming that Sturrock will gradually introduce more "pleasing" football as we develop as a club, bring in better players and progress up League two and League one. (Or at least I hope that is the 5 year masterplan)

I totally agree with you cluniemore regarding the singling out of certain players for constant abuse during the game. It is totally unacceptable and something we need to try and eradicate.

Trying to compare us to Stoke City is not a fair comparison. As has been said they have far greater resources to call upon than we do. Also you mention they are not pretty, however having seen them play on tv a few times it is clear that as well as being able to "mix it up" with direct football, set pieces & long throws they are also capable of playing some nice fluent passing football as well.

I don't like our current style of play (an opinion i am entitled to) although i still remain a season ticket holder which i have for over 20 years. I realize that playing Barca-esque football is not going to get you out of the league but imo neither is just playing direct football. We need to be able to use the ball better against the better footballing teams in this league as playing our direct style just leads to us losing possession and inviting problems upon ourselves.

I believe PS has done an amazing job if the short time he has been here with the problems he inherited and lack of resources.

I'd just like to see a wee birdie encourage some more passing football where circumstances allow instead of an over reliance on the direct style of play we seem favour atm. We certainly have some of the most technically gifted players (especially in midfield) that ive seen in a southend team for a long while, lets make use of our considerable talents!

UTB

I pay my money every week.
I do not enjoy the brand of football we play.
I do like being top of the league.
I do not abuse players.
This a football forum, which I imagine you'll never revisit once Sturrocks reign is over, and is open to differing points of view. Who are you to castigate any fan who wishes to give their opinion on here?

Dear Luggster,can i suggest that you employ a stilt walker like Stoke do up front to entertain the crowd,its a win win,great when he scores and funny when he falls over.

I do not abuse players.
This a football forum, which I imagine you'll never revisit once Sturrocks reign is over, and is open to differing points of view. Who are you to castigate any fan who wishes to give their opinion on here?

:clap: have a banana :)

We will all take promotion wether its going up as champions or finishing in 3rd spot.

I personally hate our long ball football, I like it passed non stop to feet and keeping possession at all times (like barca & Swansea) however if this hoofball gets us up I'll take it.

IF we do go up and this longball continues we will 1) get relegated and out played by footballing teams and 2) lose more fans

I just hope we play football the right way in league 1 as we have some players that are capable of doing it.

UTB

I do not abuse players.

What he said with lashings of brass knobs on,head north TD.

I'm with the guys that say at this moment in time, providing we are winning and get out of this league I'm happy but I would like to see some better football if we can continue to win while doing it.

To me at least. Winning is the most important thing, how we do it is less so.

A five year plan that culminates with us 'flirting with promotion to the championship'.
If I was in Mayhem and fancied my chances with a girl , I would like to move a bit quicker than that.
Of all the teams luggy has to admire and he picks Stoke. says it all. Luggy out.

What is important is to put negative comments on this site into context when gauging the views of blues fans. There were over 5,000 home fans yesterday which is about average. Only a very small percentage post on this site and those that do are often keen to be noticed. I can't speak for 5,000 fans but my view is that the way we are playing is not very pretty but if it gets us out of this awful division I'll take it. Selecting a style which gets the best results from our squad of players is the right approach. We are top of the league so it's working. First half was hard to watch yesterday but PS made some changes and we were more effective in attack after the break. I trust PS to get it right. If we can get out of league 2 I'll take the current style of play. Let's not forget our situation 18 months ago.

Back