• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

**STOP PRESS** Spread Eagle public house being refurbed!

GNH

Fish House Ultras⭐
I drove past our beloved drinking establishment earlier to day to find it is closed for 1 week for refurbishemnt.

Is this the first time in living memory that it is being "done up"? What will it look like afterwards? Will there still be plastic glasses?

So many questions.....I want answers!

Yep. It's having a complete re-fit by all accounts.

Hopefully it will be a bit more modern.

Well as I seem to spend far to much time in there lately for some reason - i have seen the plans and personally I dont think it will look much different just cleaner :)

Plastic until she can apply for her new licence or something but she is pushing for glasses on match day

Also having a party on the 28th after it reopens

and they still wont get sky sports:thumbdown:

Last time we played at Orient (28/12/09) i asked the landlord in the Coach and Horses why he did'nt have it any more, as the season before it was showing a game. He said the license fee for a pub had shot up to around £17k per year and as the pub only got a decent crowd in for Orient home games, it was'nt worth his while.
Unless the Spread has a function of some kind going on, i doubt they get the numbers in on a sunday afternoon, monday/tuesday night etc, that they do when we are at home so its not worth their while.

Last time we played at Orient (28/12/09) i asked the landlord in the Coach and Horses why he did'nt have it any more, as the season before it was showing a game. He said the license fee for a pub had shot up to around £17k per year and as the pub only got a decent crowd in for Orient home games, it was'nt worth his while.
Unless the Spread has a function of some kind going on, i doubt they get the numbers in on a sunday afternoon, monday/tuesday night etc, that they do when we are at home so its not worth their while.

I agree Sky have priced lots of pubs out of it... However I guess the flip side is that you defo loose punters on a Sunday afternoon, Mon eve. Lose lose for the small independent boozer.

I think my nan (MoDoDts) and my late grandad (DoDoDtS) had there wedding reception there and I have always loved a drink there as it feels like a working open air museum where I can step back in time and be a guest at my grand parents wedding.

The grunpy old git who used to have the Spread is a lad at work grandfather. Even he says he was a lazy swine who let his wife do it all while he sat on the end of the bar doing the crossword. Last year I believe there was a spat in the bar and she took a right hander which put her right off the pub game which is the main reason they left. I believe they have gone back to Kent but don't know whether they have another pub or not.

The grunpy old git who used to have the Spread is a lad at work grandfather. Even he says he was a lazy swine who let his wife do it all while he sat on the end of the bar doing the crossword. Last year I believe there was a spat in the bar and she took a right hander which put her right off the pub game which is the main reason they left. I believe they have gone back to Kent but don't know whether they have another pub or not.

Yeah she took a slap bless her and so I hear he virtualy did **** all.

Pub is in much better hands!!!

When you next coming out for a session like old times Al?

I agree Sky have priced lots of pubs out of it... However I guess the flip side is that you defo loose punters on a Sunday afternoon, Mon eve. Lose lose for the small independent boozer.

Not just Sunday and Monday but also before and after Saturday games (the televised 13.00 / 17.15 kick-offs) and midweek evenings too (Champions League, for example).

I find it hard to believe that the investment, if properly advertised, wouldn't pay off in the long run.

Not just Sunday and Monday but also before and after Saturday games (the televised 13.00 / 17.15 kick-offs) and midweek evenings too (Champions League, for example).

I find it hard to believe that the investment, if properly advertised, wouldn't pay off in the long run.

Can't they at least get the games transmitted from another source, like that Publican lady in Portsmouth. She won her case, so anyone can now do it at a small fraction of the cost of Sky.

Back