• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stopping 'silly' yellow cards

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
Me and another couple of lads were talking about this during the match today and I thought i'd put it out on its own to get a discussion going. Some of you might know a bit more about Barnet's situation than I do...

The original post goes as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ableson
Bailey booked for dissent

:rolleyes:

Got an interesting question for halftime discussion about bookings we pick up for dissent ...

Saw the other day that Barnet have a club policy stating that NO players are allowed to confront or question a decision by the ref during a match - ONLY the captain can do so...apparently bookings have gone down quite a lot as a result.

Would anyone welcome a policy like this to cover the likes of macca and Bailey or is it all just a load of airy fairy toss?

Or Leon Clarke - ridiculous booking. We all know the rules, he got what he deserved.

was stupid today, didnt even realise what nicky's was for

dont know about you lot but i beleive some of the refs recently have been awful and so unconsistent that we have a right to moan..

was stupid today, didnt even realise what nicky's was for

dont know about you lot but i beleive some of the refs recently have been awful and so unconsistent that we have a right to moan..

As a club, to the referee's panel thing, yes. Individual blokes on the pitch, no. They all know the rules and if they start moaning then there's only going to be one outcome.

An if the ref is inconsistent/useless then it's a nailed on certainy that they yellow card is going to appear, so it's pointless having a go to start with!

Leon can't be that far away from a suspension now I imagine? I have seen him pick up a few yellows so far.

Stupid bookings yes, but i can have some sympathy with bailey and clarke yesterday because that ref was an embarrassment. Definitely the worst i've seen this year.

Leon can't be that far away from a suspension now I imagine? I have seen him pick up a few yellows so far.

McCormack's 5th (7th if you count the Orient two), Bailey's on 4, think Leon is only 2 or 3.

I didnt go, so dont know how "useless" the ref may or may not have been. However, think of it this way.....

How many decisions has a ref changed thanks to a load of verbal from a player?

Also, does it make the ref think "oh yeah he was right, I shall give him the next decision regardless to make up for my gaff"

I think no to both really.

Surely it would be better if just the team captain made the teams case in an appropriate manner. That way we would not get given needless yellow cards for players we need to play with passion and not with one eye on a suspension.

If anything, leave it to the crowd. I would like to think that we make the ref know when he has been poor and selected the wrong decision. Or are we then at risk of a yellow and suspension.....its unlikely...

Also, does it make the ref think "oh yeah he was right, I shall give him the next decision regardless to make up for my gaff"

Indeed it does not. In fact if a player has just given a referee a lot of grief, his chances of the next 50-50 decision he is involved in going his way are minimal.

Indeed it does not. In fact if a player has just given a referee a lot of grief, his chances of the next 50-50 decision he is involved in going his way are minimal.

Exactly.

So a gob full for the ref from a player, as wrong as it may seem, is not the best idea in the world. Hence why I think adopting the rugby (I think it is) approach that only the team captains can speak to him is a good idea. It probably helps the players/teams as much as the refs.

Me and another couple of lads were talking about this during the match today and I thought i'd put it out on its own to get a discussion going. Some of you might know a bit more about Barnet's situation than I do...

The original post goes as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ableson
Bailey booked for dissent

:rolleyes:

Got an interesting question for halftime discussion about bookings we pick up for dissent ...

Saw the other day that Barnet have a club policy stating that NO players are allowed to confront or question a decision by the ref during a match - ONLY the captain can do so...apparently bookings have gone down quite a lot as a result.

Would anyone welcome a policy like this to cover the likes of macca and Bailey or is it all just a load of airy fairy toss?

Isn't there a similar code in rugby and consequently the officials are treated with far more respect?!

I thought Nicky's was for persistent fouling to be honest, it looked initially as if it was for dissent but then I noticed the referee was pointing at 2 or 3 different locations where he had fouled somebody........

"How many decisions has a ref changed thanks to a load of verbal from a player?"

There was that penalty at Arsenal a couple of seasons back, but generally no. And certainly not for us.

In fact I think refs or more inclined to give decisions against us just to spite Elvis Eel and his non-stop chatter.

"How many decisions has a ref changed thanks to a load of verbal from a player?"

There was that penalty at Arsenal a couple of seasons back, but generally no. And certainly not for us.

In fact I think refs or more inclined to give decisions against us just to spite Elvis Eel and his non-stop chatter.

Also, in the Mersyside Derby, Gerrard spoke to the ref after Hibbert brough him down and he changed his mind from a yellow card to a red card.

But on the whole, the ref never admits they are wrong. I personally think Ref's should have to face the camera, like managers and players, after the game to explain decisions.

I thought Nicky's was for persistent fouling to be honest, it looked initially as if it was for dissent but then I noticed the referee was pointing at 2 or 3 different locations where he had fouled somebody........

It was odd - Bailey clearly thought he got an elbow in the chops and was having a whinge - then the ref appeared to combine the whinging with the couple of blatant chops he did in the first half and booked him for it. I was certain we would have someone sent off on Saturday - seemed like one of those refs.....

Surely it would be better if just the team captain made the teams case in an appropriate manner. That way we would not get given needless yellow cards for players we need to play with passion and not with one eye on a suspension.

To be fair, at our club, we're better off having everyone chip in and take some of the dissent burden off of Maher.

Back