• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Opinions were marmite because his game was marmite.

I liked Strakes. I liked his attitude, his pace, and his positivity. Some days he was the best player in our team. Other days, he was best for the opposition. Didn't do things by halves - either a great game or absolute bobbins. That makes him an average contributor and, as Mick said earlier, average contributors won't get us out of this division.

Wish him all the luck in future but think we'll find better and more consistent.

Opinions were marmite because his game was marmite.

I liked Strakes. I liked his attitude, his pace, and his positivity. Some days he was the best player in our team. Other days, he was best for the opposition. Didn't do things by halves - either a great game or absolute bobbins. That makes him an average contributor and, as Mick said earlier, average contributors won't get us out of this division.

Wish him all the luck in future but think we'll find better and more consistent.

Exactly this. Thanks SBH for saving me from a lot of typing, sitting in the garden drinking coffee is hard work!

Oh well, would have liked to have kept him around but not too bothered he's gone.

Worrying that York are offering more attractive deals than us though :unsure:

Unfortunately this has been happening for a while. Lewis Montrose (york midfielder) was having a medical with us last summer - they offered double in wages compared to the deal we put on the table and he was off. shame because i think he'd have done a job for us

Indeed.
If Starker goes , Smith stays out of favour and Prosser plays like he did last season , who will the East Reds vent their anger on ??

Are you new here? Since when have decent performances been at all relevant to the subject?

I thought Straker was OK, I would have been happy if we kept him, but I'm not fussed he's left. The way we signed him means he was probably on a fair wedge.

Are you new here? Since when have decent performances been at all relevant to the subject?

I thought Straker was OK, I would have been happy if we kept him, but I'm not fussed he's left. The way we signed him means he was probably on a fair wedge.

Good point.
Well made.

Agree with this.

Pity Brown could not use his coaching ability to improve Strakes after deciding he was not a full back. Shabby treatment for a player who always gave his best. His game at Hartlepool last season was brilliant, he was inconsistent but so are most of the team, that is why they are at this level:smile:
Hurst included who never took half the stick straker did and wasn't subbed either!

The abuse Strakes received from so called fans was pathetic yet the bloke grew in stature,The pressure he played under must have been soul destroying as he either was waiting to be abused and subbed.

Shame.

Brown: "We couldn't agree a contract with Straker. He wanted 2 years but I was only prepared to give him the 1." @SUFCRootsHall @Essex_Echo

Can see and understand both points of view. Sadly, probably a good decision for both parties.

Bit of a no brainer for him then, really.

Just got a kiddy so; two year deal at York giving a bit more security, obviously on acceptable money, chance for a fresh start or, stay at Southend with a one year deal and get abused every week by the home 'fans'.

As a realist, I would have taken that deal as well.

As others have said, he was Mr Inconsistency for me, could be brilliant and exciting but also could be the most frustrating player to watch. I was never a lover or a hater but always appreciated that whichever Straker stepped over the line he gave his all in a Blue shirt, appreciated that and never booed him; he was trying.
For all those reasons I don't see that we'll overly miss him but wish him well for the future, just don't score the winner against us next season.....

Bit of a no brainer for him then, really.

Just got a kiddy so; two year deal at York giving a bit more security, obviously on acceptable money, chance for a fresh start or, stay at Southend with a one year deal and get abused every week by the home 'fans'.

As a realist, I would have taken that deal as well.

As others have said, he was Mr Inconsistency for me, could be brilliant and exciting but also could be the most frustrating player to watch. I was never a lover or a hater but always appreciated that whichever Straker stepped over the line he gave his all in a Blue shirt, appreciated that and never booed him; he was trying.
For all those reasons I don't see that we'll overly miss him but wish him well for the future, just don't score the winner against us next season.....

Yep, totally agree with all you say............a good decision for him. Terribly frustrating player (haven't we had a few of those! :smile:), never knew what you were going to get from him, apart from 100% effort. A League Two level player and from our point of view, if we aspire to promotion next season, we don't want to be stuck with him for another year in League One.

Back