• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strange games you remember and why

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
With all this doom and gloom on here it's easy to harp on about big games. They stick in the memory. The ldv games, the play offs or cup games against utd etc.

But there are games that you remember for strange reasons.

There have been so many for me that it's impossible to list them.

My first trip to orient was memorable. It was under Alan little.

I had a badly broken arm at the time and arrived at the away end to be told it was full and to go home. After more and more blues converged on the away end they had no choice but to make more room and let us in.

It was the first of many trips to orient. We were in later seasons in that terrace behind the goal but I remember it being at the side and terrific atmosphere and Southend took what appeared to be thousands.

I'm sure we won the game I seem to remember Neil Campbell rounding the keeper.

Great day out.

Over to you. Pick a random game that comes to mind.

My strange one was pretty recent, March 2017, against Walsall. My daughter and her partner were down for the weekend, and he came along instead of Mrs RHB. He's a Brum supporter, so used to losing but I had pre-warned him that if the Moose was playing for Walsall then he would undoubtedly score. And, of course, he did, twice before half time. At half time I was bigging up Ranger and he asked who took our free kicks, and were they any good. I reeled of Lenny , Wordy, Coker etc, and then the second half happened. 1st up was a flying header from Ranger, 1-2, then up popped Ferdinand to volley home our second, 2-2, and finally the free kick. Up strolls Coxy and I'm thinking , why? Soon had my answer, bosh, top left hand corner and the three points were ours. He left thinking Southend were an ok team. That game was strange purely because there was very little resting on it but it will live long in my memory for the goals that were scored by us and those that scored them.

Chelsea at home , called off due to fog and then just as fans were turning round to go home Ron ran into the Refs room and got him to change his mind.

Mansfield at home at Easter , for all the wrong reasons .....

Sunderland in the fog

Hartlepool away on a tuesday night near an Xmas time back in 05/06 for me.
Floodlights failed pre kick off , the pitch looked unplayable , almost certain had travelled all that way for a postponement.
Anyway I came away thinking that was some of the best grub i got at a footie match and i think we scored an 85th minute winner.
A great night that was but it could of easily been so different.

Bournemouth at home in the custard splat kit years. The most dull game of football ever until midway through the second half and we ran out 5-3 winners. My sons football team had seats in the North Bank when it was still the home end and I seem to recall fences being up as well. It was the first time I'd been back since a teenager standing there and the view was bloody awful.

Halifax away and my Dad talking to the Halifax keeper about golf as both midfields ****ed about with it in and around the centre circle all game

Millwall away in the first round of the FA Cup, Friday 4 November 2016.

I had slipped on a wet driveway at lunchtime and thought I had twisted my ankle. Anyway, that evening I drove to the Den and we parked up a good half mile from the away end. I managed to hobble to the ground and up the stairs to the upper tier.

A trip to the gents at half time meant descending the stairs which was now getting very painful. When I tried to ascend again a Millwall steward noticed my discomfort and offered me a seat in the (empty) lower tier - I declined and limped upstairs to re-join my travelling companion.

We lost 1-0.

A long painful limp back to the car and home.

About 5 weeks later I was still suffering and went to outpatients who advised me that I had been dragging around a broken leg for the last five weeks.

I have been to a lot of away days which have caused me pain but I think this one tops the bill:Smile:

V Fiorentina in the Anglo Italian cup (or whatever it was) They kept kicking the ball off the pitch for an obvious corner to us, and the ref kept giving goal kicks

One of my favourite ever games - Gillingham 1-2 Southend December 1997. To say we were dogshite would be doing a disservice to dogshite!

Gills took the lead after 4 minutes and for the next 87 proceeded to take us apart and do everything but score.
Then up pops Jerome Boere in the 91st minute and bang we're suddenly level. From the kick off we nick the ball and Regis Coulbault drills one in.

To this day I don't think I've seen a home crowd as apoplectic as Gillingham after that game and to be fair they were completely robbed.

Losing at Doncaster 5-1 in the L1 playoff semi finals. Main memory after the miss by Jimmy Walker is chanting non-stop and doing the conga for the rest of the match

The ‘sea gull’ game that was sooo boring that the fans started chanting for the sea gulls that kept landing on the pitch... Against Cambridge I think??

Anyone remember a Milk Cup Tie on 13 Sept 1983 First Round Second Leg at Plough Lane Wimbledon?

Wimbledon had just been promoted from the 4th Division and Peter Morris had taken over at Roots Hall.

We won the first leg 1-0 at home and were 2-1 up at half time when things went a bit wrong in the second half as Wimbledon rattled in 5 and we lost 6-4 game set and match, 6-5 on aggregate.

Cawston, Angus, Collins, Cartwright, Clark, May, Pountney, Kellock, McDonough, Shepherd, Pennyfather. Sub Phillips.

Dave Beasant was in goal for them and Alan Cork scored a few.

Forest away. Someone had let loose a giant balloon onto the pitch, it was our best player by miles. Collymore played and some of the idiots in the away end were cheering him on to score. Never really understood this, By all means clap him at the end but don't support him against our team. Mind you, I was cheering on the balloon.

Forest away. Someone had let loose a giant balloon onto the pitch, it was our best player by miles. Collymore played and some of the idiots in the away end were cheering him on to score. Never really understood this, By all means clap him at the end but don't support him against our team. Mind you, I was cheering on the balloon.

Was that the Sunday afternoon match, there, quite close to Christmas?

Think it was the same season we played them at home first game, also on a Sunday and live on TV.

Bournemouth at home in the custard splat kit years. The most dull game of football ever until midway through the second half and we ran out 5-3 winners. My sons football team had seats in the North Bank when it was still the home end and I seem to recall fences being up as well. It was the first time I'd been back since a teenager standing there and the view was bloody awful.

Yes, definitely remember that one. Bizarre match. I was in the East Blues that day.

I can't recall that we had the North Bank, though. I thought we lost that when we put the seats in and built the South Stand, which was before that match I believe. I might be wrong, though.

Back