• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
They say that the one thing financial markets don't like is uncertainty.....................we can only pray that this truism doesn't apply to football clubs.
It looked so different at the start of the Summer, even allowing for the disappointment of missing out in the play-offs. The backbone of our team was in place.......OK, Grant had gone, but there was Hall, Ferdinand and Mohsni 'still had a future at Southend'. Additionally, there was an unexpected flurry of signings, including Freddy............'three of the four pillars were in place'...............none of this last minute transfer stress and panic this year! Then, sadly, it all seemed to go umbongo (if that's the word).
Now, here I am, little over 36 hours from the closing of the window, coming on here each day to check, not whether we have signed anyone but in the hope that three of our largest financial assets have been sold off. Why, in the hope??? Well, reading between the lines, I am led to believe that the consequences of not cashing in on these players could be far worse than their loss. The main problem with this game of chicken, if that's what it is (leaving it to the last minute to obtain better offers), is that we are left with precious little time (and probably very little money) to find replacements.
The esoteric debate of what style of football we play continues whilst the rumbles of thunder from stories of unpaid staff can be clearly heard. The next day and a half will probably go some way to defining our season but following an already unsteady start, we can hardly expect to have a settled team for at least another month......if those that are expected to leave, do go. Perhaps, in the midst of all this, discussions on styles of play acts as a light relief, away from all the problems. Quite honestly, if PS can steer us through all this and get us promoted at the end of the season he will deserve more than praise..........he'll deserve a bloody medal!

Its hardly a massive surprise that we have financial issues. We were a mess 2 years ago and only got out of it because of a nice injection from Sainsbury, that was only to last a year.

That said though the sale of Mohsni and Hall dont have anything to do with the financial issues (although will no doubt be very welcome). Even if we were stable financially Mohsni would be in France at his wedding still and Hall would want to move up. Ferdinand however may well have been retained.

Its hardly a massive surprise that we have financial issues. We were a mess 2 years ago and only got out of it because of a nice injection from Sainsbury, that was only to last a year.

That said though the sale of Mohsni and Hall dont have anything to do with the financial issues (although will no doubt be very welcome). Even if we were stable financially Mohsni would be in France at his wedding still and Hall would want to move up. Ferdinand however may well have been retained.

Are we still paying the consequences of failing to get promotion last year? One could argue that IF we had gone up we would probably have been able to hold on to Mohsni, Hall, Grant and Ferdinand..........but would we have done? Wouldn't we still have had our financial worries, perhaps slightly offset by the undoubted increase in season ticket sales and attendances.

the financial problems arent helped by only 4000 fans turning up to the opening game,i wish people would get off sturrocks back and get behind the team whoever it is on saturday.

the financial problems arent helped by only 4000 fans turning up to the opening game,i wish people would get off sturrocks back and get behind the team whoever it is on saturday.

To be fair it is still August & family holiday time, plus it was V weekend. Im sure gates will rise, unless of course we are **** poor this season..:unsure:

Are we still paying the consequences of failing to get promotion last year? One could argue that IF we had gone up we would probably have been able to hold on to Mohsni, Hall, Grant and Ferdinand..........but would we have done? Wouldn't we still have had our financial worries, perhaps slightly offset by the undoubted increase in season ticket sales and attendances.

Yes of course we are, the finances would still be under plenty of strain but we would be better off in league one. Then again league one = more wages so that would play a part.

The attendance we got was perfectly normal for our club on the first day of the season in League Two. People didnt stay away because of Paul Sturrock.

If we do well attendances will rise, if we dont they unfortunately wont.

Does anyone know how much the club is losing every week ? Not long ago old Tara Brady was bandying around huge weekly losses yet only lower crowds & bigger squads have followed ..... either we've got a mystery benefactor or someone is sweeping an awful lot of stuff under the carpet .... i hope i'm wrong , but i dont have Great Expectations for the future :thumbdown:

Chris Phillips ‏@CJPhillips1982 Sturrock -"we're in negotiations to sign players but it's in the lap of the gods if they sign."
Translated, does that mean, if no one is sold, no one is going to be signed?

I would say that is probably the case yes. At best we may get a loanee or two in.

How the hell would we replace Ryan Hall anyway? That man is irreplaceable at this level.

Mohsni and Ferdy can go with my blessing. Losing Hall on the other hand, would be almost throwing the towel in on a promotion push. Hopefully we can keep him. But I guess that is out of Sturrock's hands now.

Back