• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strike force (under/over)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I definitely can't see our strikers alone scoring 60 goals

What? None of that is true. None of those players will be playing midfield or defence as far as I know so I'm not sure what that's got to do with the price of fish? Last season's tallies, for reference:

Cox - 48 games (plus 3 more as sub), 17 goals
Humphrys - 10 games, 5 goals
Hopper - 13 games (plus 1 more as sub), 7 goals
Robinson - 19 games (plus 12 more as sub), 4 goals
Kelman - 2 games (plus 9 more as sub), 2 goals
Goodship - new signing

So, I'll say it again - you see no improvement for any of our strikers despite the above total starts not being enough to fill the two striker spots in the team for the full season. We escaped relegation on goal difference - so I guess you've bet on relegation?

Wow. This is a terrible post on so many levels.

Who was Kelman's second goal against?

Why are you using last season's league AND cup totals and then applying it to just league games? We scored 18 cup goals last season. Everyone could score the same number of goals as last year but just score them in league games.

Many teams have a top scorer with 15+ goals and nobody else over 10 and don't get relegated. Some of them even get promoted.

Why are you discounting goals from midfield? Last year Kightly and McLaughlin scored two league goals between them. Surely there is room for huge improvement here if we play two wide players or if Hutchinson makes a breakthrough or Dru discovers his scoring boots...

Why are you discounting an improvement in defence allowing for an increased points tally? We didn't keep a single clean sheet in our last 18 matches. We could improve the defence - I don't know, maybe sign one of the defenders from last year's World Cup or something - and gain 10 points that way.

Stephen 20 Plus
Hopper 12
Cox 10
Goodship 4
Kelman 2
Theo 0

I think we will score a far few from Midfield and Defence.
We have a great signing in Hump, and I see Theo going before he scores a goal. !!

Wow. This is a terrible post on so many levels. Wow. An unnecessarily aggressive post on so many levels.

Who was Kelman's second goal against? A transpose error - sincere apologies, I'll make sure I ask you to clear my posts for accuracy in future

Why are you using last season's league AND cup totals and then applying it to just league games? We scored 18 cup goals last season. Everyone could score the same number of goals as last year but just score them in league games. Eh? I totalled the league and cup appearances, and the league and cup goals. I then made the point - in response to MK saying they wouldnt all get picked every week - to say that their overall league and cup appearances last season is a smaller number of games than two full first team spots just in the league for a season. I'm not massively bothered if that floats your boat as a comparison or not.

Many teams have a top scorer with 15+ goals and nobody else over 10 and don't get relegated. Some of them even get promoted. There are many contrary examples of everything, I think the - different - point I was making is clear - i.e. that MK's suggestions were low, and indeed lower (or at best, no higher) than last year. You can pick the bones out of that if you like - crack on.

Why are you discounting goals from midfield? Last year Kightly and McLaughlin scored two league goals between them. Surely there is room for huge improvement here if we play two wide players or if Hutchinson makes a breakthrough or Dru discovers his scoring boots... I thought the thread was called 'strike force'. In my naivete I thought that meant strikers - and I was even more reeled in by the poll options.

Why are you discounting an improvement in defence allowing for an increased points tally? We didn't keep a single clean sheet in our last 18 matches. We could improve the defence - I don't know, maybe sign one of the defenders from last year's World Cup or something - and gain 10 points that way. Where did I say anything about no improvement in defence? Why would I even mention defence on this thread? I made the point - in a thread that I thought was about strikers scoring goals - that in that context, suggesting we will do worse by that measure than we did last year is surprising. I'm not sure why that is such a controversial view with you?

See above

I think that's spot on and probably just as well. Until external things (I won't say the "S" word) are in place or at least underway, I think that promotion will be a poisoned chalice and possibly do more long-term harm than good.
There's nothing wrong with saying 'Sausages' in a post, man up for God's sake.

See above

tenor.gif

Where did I say anything about no improvement in defence? Why would I even mention defence on this thread?

Because you introduced talk about relegation when you jumped on MK's post when he predicted everybody to score about the same as last season.

Coventry finished 8th but scored less than we did last year. You can score that amount and not be in a relegation battle if you have a decent enough defence.

I don't necessarily agree with MK's individual predictions but they seem realistic enough, whereas yours seem as off as a Barna prediction. I mean I truly hope our forwards score 20% more goals than Barnsley's did last year in all competitions but I'd need a lengthy liquid lunch in order to be contemplating it.

I don't necessarily agree with MK's individual predictions but they seem realistic enough, whereas yours seem as off as a Barna prediction. I mean I truly hope our forwards score 20% more goals than Barnsley's did last year in all competitions but I'd need a lengthy liquid lunch in order to be contemplating it.

That’s fine, perhaps I have been optimistic - even over-optimistic. There’s no need to be quite so bombastic in offering an alternative view though.

Ooh I love a bit of unexpected Friday beef. Especially between mods!

I think Humphrys could score 30 goals for us next season. Genuinely

Love the optimism on here.

Can any of you stat fans out there tell us the last time 3 forwards achieved double figures in a season?

Back