• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Student Jobs and jobs you got knocked from as a student.

DTS

The Business
Following on from a thread about student jobs I was wondering what fun jobs everyone had as a student.

As a student I applied to be a meeter and greeter at the Disney Store at Gatwick but I was turned down as I didnt have the relevant experience??

I worked mainly in a old people home doing cooking and hoovering stuff. Basically not a bad job and a bit different.

Also worked as a sports coach in the summer coaching kids football, as a garden clearer (£120 a day which was really good) and a life guard by at a pool.

I spent 4 years of my college life working at those famous golden arches.
Was a floor manager and I must admit it was actually the funniest job ive had aswell as the least glamorous.
Really good social life as everyone there was the same age and we used to work all summer in the day and spend each night out pi55ing all our hard earned burger flipping money away!

Good times....

I was however rejected from working in WH Smiths after failing a phone interview....not sure how qualified you are needed to be to sell Bic pens and coloured pencils ???

I have had many and varied student jobs.

Kitchen porter, Hotel Renouf, Rochford.

Cook, Nazareth House, Southend.

Sponge and J cloth technician - EGL, Rochford.

Pot Boy - The Brickhouse, Manchester.

I have been knocked back from a Dinky Donut stall down the seafront. Up until recently this was my biggest disappointment in the job market.

Not that I am bitter or anything but I was just finishing college was in my last few weeks and a job came up at the Southend United Ticket Office as Assistant Manager, I had lots of retail expierence having worked as a Sales Executive for Comet and started moving up the ranks while being part time at McDonalds for two years.

But when I recieved a letter from Southend United saying I was not what they were looking for I was heart broken, the fact they didn't even give me an interview just really put a downer on me. I was so excited when I applied for the job thought Yes I will be part of the club.

Everything happens for a reason though I now have an excellent job :D.

I worked at a van hire company cleaning...vans.

I worked all hours (sometimes 15 hours a day in pouring rain / snow) from the age of 13 until I was 17 for just £2.00 an hour! I don't think they'd get away with that now but in a way, that job did me nothing but good!

Apart from numerous paper rounds have also worked at clay pigeon shoots in Ashingdon and Hockley (firing off the clay pigeons!) and at a mushroom farm in Hawkwell.

Apart from numerous paper rounds have also worked at clay pigeon shoots in Ashingdon and Hockley (firing off the clay pigeons!) and at a mushroom farm in Hawkwell.

Did you by any chance know a couple of twins (blokes) that worked there a few years ago? unless there is another mushroom farm knocking around?

Did you by any chance know a couple of twins (blokes) that worked there a few years ago? unless there is another mushroom farm knocking around?

I left the mushroom business about 20 years ago and didn't really stay in touch with anyone I am afraid.

Sometimes it's no use pretending and you just have to let go.

Last edited:
A pic of Harry in his Student years ...

atelier.jpg

:p

Tesco's - Cheltenham
Virgin - Cheltenham
General Dogsbody - Cheltenham Racecourse
MBNA Credit Card Promoter - Swindon Town FC and Bath Rugby
Canteen Assistant - Some private school in Cheltenham
Natural World - Cheltenham
Tutor and Mentor - 2 Schools in Cheltenham and GLOSCAT, Gloucester
Student Teacher - Comprehensive School in Cheltenham

As you can see, I had quite a few jobs in Cheltenham, as I was skint!

mainly worked at southend hospital... x-ray and information monkey, doss jobs and easy money. also got sacked from my paper round (i went on strike) and worked in a bakers for a bit.

got knocked back on management consultancy and gov't fast-track jobs which was good in the end because i love what im doing now

Well does anyone remember Hardings pies from Rayleigh thats where i spent my days out of SEEVIC Got promoted to "drivers mate " and used to deliver to places like tots zero 6 the jubilee and so on such fun and then i joined the RAF ....This is circa 79 / 80

I used to work for Maldon District Council, I'd go out to the surrounding areas, Maldon/Burnham/Cold Norton/Southminster/etc running a course called BodyCare.

Was teaching health and fitness to 10/11 year olds and it was fantastic. Really, really enjoyed it. I've still got 30 letters from my students from Bradwell thanking me. It was a 6 week course, I'd come in for an hour-hour and a half one day a week. If it was more permenant I'd love to still be doing that.

Also, worked behind a bar in Althorne called The Three Horseshoes. Pretty empty, typical local country pub, but had decent customers in there.

Back