• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp and two veg

Youth Team
All this talk of being entertained makes me laugh.

Look at what Sturrock was faced with when walking into the job. No money and a squad that had to go.
Then ask yourself how the hell would you keep us up in the first season? Bankers to go down from the football league.
Sturrock got some favours going and brought in players that were in the wilderness. Players that would do as they were told. Strangely enough that was Luggy's quote from the other day wasn't it, not doing as they were told.

All this talk of hoofball is rubbish, we do not play hoofball, you cannot be top approaching March playing hoofball in this day and age. No, they get balls in from wide and pepper the box. They turn their defenders around and make them panic, they work very hard for the second ball and in Phillips, Moshni and Hall, Luggy has some excellent players who create panic in the opposition's box. Last season they had to work their nuts off, which they did and the result of that was flirting with the play-offs. This season Luggy improved the squad, kept everyone here and look at the results. Top of the league! By christ, never thought i'd be saying that so soon after our first game back in L2.

I tell you what, Freddy Eastwood would've loved all these scraps in and around the box! It's no wonder Ryan Hall had the best assists record in the entire F.L. a little while ago, the lad does exactly what's asked of him. He's even better when he gets around the back of his full-back and whips them in. Barry Corr would've loved it this season, strong in the air and as brave as a lion. Dave Martin is another little gem, he takes the pressure off Hall and so does Timlin who manages to squeeze balls through the middle. Defensively i'm not happy, we could be better, but hats off to them too because they aren't the best back four but we are top !

Sturrock, you got it sussed on a shoestring, well done my son!
I think it's time we ought to be loving it guys and showing our appreciation.

(PS..you can't afford to bench Moshni against the likes of Swindon, you need your best performers playing)

Top of the League, top goalscorers, what more do people want? Carry on the good MR Sturrock.

Totally agree Sean and what a top post.

It amazes me that some people seem to think we always used to play like Barcelona; that was never the case. I have seen us dish up some cosh this season; but previous season I have seen more cosh than that (though I admit some less as well).

Yes some of our home performances have been rubbish, but that's not down to our style of play, it's down to other factors such as players off form etc.

Are you telling me we never played a single long ball under Tilson, or even Webb, because if you are you are, you're talking complete rubbish.

Take yesterday as an example, we created chances, we got crosses into the box, that is entertainment (if it wasn't then why does MOTD mostly feature these events then?).

The problem is so many people are blinkered that as soon as we play the ball long during a game (to clear our lines and get it into the opposition box) we are a long ball team, they seem to ignore the football we play once it is forward.

Take the comment from yesterday that the only time we played it on the floor we won a free-kick; what game were they watching as we played plenty of passing football yesterday and there were plenty examples of it.

Think we really do need to take a reality check some times :stunned:

On the talk of hoofball, I believe that on our run we was playing as said previously, a get the ball wide and forward fast and get balls into the box. Where as over our dip in form this was turning more and more into hoof and hope, due to the players possibly become complacent, dropping form and other teams working out that Hall is the main threat.

As Sturrock said a couple of weeks ago, he thought some players were not doing what he told them to do which was costing us, it seems over the last few games the players have started to do what is expected of them. Not always pretty but it will work when the players do everything they are asked to do.

On where we will finish, obviously the players mentality has to be to finish top, if we will finish there is a different matter as there are 5 other clubs who are as good and in swindons case better than us.

On the home form, okay we won yesterday but it sounded pretty even (wasn't there myself), which may be down to the set-up. Think Sturrock would be wise to just take a punt on playing 2 out and out wingers at home for one game and see what joy it brings. But I would also not change a team that has won 2 on the bounce. I think I remember someone saying the last time we beat Gills we went on our 17 game unbeaten run, hopefully we can do the same now!

So yes all in all I think Sturrock has it sussed, I think the players need to put in 100% concentration to make it work though, if two players don't turn up for games form wise, it will more than likely cost us. Think it is up to Sturrock to just keep drilling the players jobs into there heads and they should be able to keep the results coming.

All this talk of being entertained makes me laugh.

Look at what Sturrock was faced with when walking into the job. No money and a squad that had to go.

Without wishing to detract from his achievements too much, when he joined he had a squad that was gone completely. This is really good for a manager as there is no baggage and every single player is of his choosing. Also the "no money" doesn't sit comfortably with one of the biggest (if not the biggest) playing budget in the division at the time.

Sturrock had had it sussed to date. Lets not take for granted our hopes in the last 15 matches.

yes I totaly agree that Paul Sturrock has got his team working in the right direction . Yes when he came in he took over a club in dire trouble and he has turned things around .The only thing that bothers me is playing one striker at home .This works a well away from home as 10 winns prove .But at home I would heave thought you would play 2 main frount men and two wide player to supply the crosses .Maybe Its me that has worked well but the home form is a little shakey and maybe this system is not quite right for us at home . But hey we are still flying high at the top . So yes well done PAUL STURROCK and his team .

Without wishing to detract from his achievements too much, when he joined he had a squad that was gone completely. This is really good for a manager as there is no baggage and every single player is of his choosing. Also the "no money" doesn't sit comfortably with one of the biggest (if not the biggest) playing budget in the division at the time.
While the clean slate does mean that Sturtock got his own team, bare in mind that most agents were warned not to let their players anywhere near us. Who would want to play for a club that didn't pay it's last squad's wages?

Agreed. I'm very happy at the moment, whether we'll go up top 3 or not we've given it our best shot. As others have said before, lets keep aiming at being champions though!

Back