• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Keep on reading about Sturrocks failure on here but I don't get it,The man worked miracles nearly winning promotion and reaching the clubs first Wembley final,How can that be classed as failure.

Whoever manages this club have their hands tied,It's mission impossible..No funds,Embargo,Probably players don't even what to come here for fear of unpaid wages.

The club is poorly run and teeters on the edge of oblivion year upon year,I think the fans have been superb because we still turn up in decent numbers and IMO we all deserve better.

He did fail.

Our objective was to get out of League two and in the second year conditions were better after we got the Sainsburys money, we actually had a good year without any financial issues so it wasnt always embargos and having his hands tied.

That said he still did very well in the first season to keep is in midtable and a great second season results/points wise (lesser so on entertainment).

It shows how close failure/success is measured as on any other season 83 points would have got us up and he would be a hero, but because 3 teams got massive points totals we dont go up and some see that as failure, which ultimately it is but you have to recognise the achievement.

Where Sturrock succeed however was taking a club on its knees and creating a squad that would keep us well away from relegation, which under the circumstances would have been a realistic target, but we aimed higher.

Not really. People on here talk like that is a given and not even up for discussion. I beg to differ.

Agreed LB,

I think also PS had the best win ratio of any Southend manager( correct me if I am wrong).

The man deserves total and utter respect from every Southend fan,He has mine.

Whilst I have the utmost respect for him and will be forever grateful for bringing the club back from the brink that first season and for delivering our Wembley dream, I don't think there's a doubt that ultimately he did fail. He was guilty of one of those most cardinal of sins in football, and that's favouring certain players when their form didn't merit it. We should have been promoted under his tenure, we weren't therefore he failed.

If we are getting technical then I believe he did fail. 1st season was survival and that was success. 2nd season was aiming for promotion, many said playoffs would have been a good result and going on that long winning streak certainly upped expectations and we were very unlucky to miss out on the automatics on the final day. 2 of those above us that season and fairly big budgets too.

3rd season was unlucky with injuries too, but the ultimate goal of promotion wasn't achieved either. So he did fail in 2nd & 3rd season, but that doesn't make him a poor manager or mean that his reign here was always bad.

Just a thought, but if Brown was brought in to shake the team up in a bid to reach the play-offs last season, would you say he has failed in his first task?

Keep on reading about Sturrocks failure on here but I don't get it,The man worked miracles nearly winning promotion and reaching the clubs first Wembley final,How can that be classed as failure.

Whoever manages this club have their hands tied,It's mission impossible..No funds,Embargo,Probably players don't even what to come here for fear of unpaid wages.

The club is poorly run and teeters on the edge of oblivion year upon year,I think the fans have been superb because we still turn up in decent numbers and IMO we all deserve better.

No funds????? He was allowed funds to sign enough players to field four or five sets of starting elevens during his time here!!! He was an OK manager but I do not feel that he was any sort of miracle worker.

Unfortunately all this is irrelevant now sturrock is the past We Need to look forward not back

I feel that Martin used his last chance card in sacking Sturrock and employing Brown. We plummeted miserably after Brown's appt at the back end of the season and so far this season haven't offered much. Bad decision in my opinion.

You can hardly say he was a success either, every league two manager has restrictions and to be honest I think Sturrock had a better lot than most. Promotion was the target and he didn't achieve that, he wasn't a bad manager but he wasn't a great one either.

He did OK, deserves respect but nowhere near "Hall of Fame" status.

His wretched record against the likes of Aldershot Town, Morecambe, Daggers, Accrington Stanley was his Achilles heal and undermined all the good he did imo.

Right time to go, the JPT was never going to be enough to satisfy the people who matter (Ron)...He had three shots and failed three times. You could bang on about his lack of support from the chairman, but I felt he got backed reasonably well in the transfer market as has PB.

dwb's comment about the downward plunge after his departure is nonsense. With nothing to play for and a respected manager departing, I'm sure even Fergie would have been troubled with getting anything more from the troops. What does matter is what he did from this season and at the moment he is 3 points behind where PS was last season with a win tonight drawing him level.....Hardly a "downward spiral"

Before the thread gets pulled, there is no way he failed. Luggy pulled us back from the brink and has my utmost respect, along with many people 'in the game'. Two big mistakes proved his downfall, bringing back my beloved Bilel, and ignoring the youth team.

Back