• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
Why not? I cannot see for the life of me who could have done any better over the last three seasons? If there is a manager change at the end of the season then so be it but changing managers now will just be worse than ever. I am not his biggest fan but he has spent no money, and has got us to a final without half the squad being fit, in my opinion he has over achieved given the limited resources he has had. I am utterly frustrated like everyone else but Like him or loath him I would rather have him here than a young manager who has not had any experience of the financial restraints in div 2 football.

Totally agree Winkle, no manager will please everyone similar to players

Uncle Ron may wave his magic wand as many times as he wants regarding finances, but it doesnot paper over the cracks that go off the field and affects players and management team,its just that few donot wish to air their thoughts on sites or twitter.

Do supporters want a Blackburn situation,sacking manager after manager on a whim,in the three years PS has been here,he has pulled rabbit after rabbit out of the hat and still gets us near the promotion slot,the JPT is a great bonus, whether it has turned players minds off the league is open to debate,injuries are part of the game and every manager will have to deal with the situation, the true problem is lack of reserves which imho has bitten us hard in order to get players match fit,and that is out of PS hands

The calls for some of the managers are stupid, especially with the finances in place, I could only see the role going within the club and then the calls for kicking them out due to lack of experience will follow

Be careful what you wish for, because in a couple of years many of you will be writing the same stuff,manager out new one needed.
UTS:happy:

I would certainly welcome Luggy staying for another season, if for no other reason than continuity and stability. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening and I fear for the general turmoil and turn around in players that is going to be created in the wake of his departure.
One thing I would add is that IF Luggy goes, let it be straight after the JPT Final, so as the new management team will have plenty of time to start arranging things for next season.

Paul Sturrock must stay another season , It's not the mans fault our awful injury situation at the club . Maybe if the powers to be(Ron) paid his bills we would not have had to miss training sessions when Boots and Laces was unplayable. Good loan signings but then they can't play , why not ? because once again bills not paid and the old embargo . Sturrock is a good manager with a good no2 GC .Wembley has been a distraction but good decisions by him got us there ie (Bentley) .So to all the Sturrock out fans be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Sorry but if we dont finish in the play offs he has to go.

Using the "who could do better" argument doesnt count for a lot, just because there is no guarantee of success with someone else doesnt mean you blindly stick with what you have.

Last season Sturrock did very well and I always give him credit for that, but this season has been a total failure and looks like it is going to finish that way now.

A new manager may well fail, but things cant remain as they are.

Sorry but if we dont finish in the play offs he has to go.

Using the "who could do better" argument doesnt count for a lot, just because there is no guarantee of success with someone else doesnt mean you blindly stick with what you have.

Last season Sturrock did very well and I always give him credit for that, but this season has been a total failure and looks like it is going to finish that way now.

Exactly, I'm not with the "Sturrock is a crap manager and should go" bunch but think that the time has come for change. Thank you Sturrock for steering us away from trouble and nearly getting us promotion. We can't stick with him because we are scared of change.

We cant keep living in the past with what sturrock has done the fact is this season has not been good enough yes we have wembley coming but our main aim is promotion and its not lookin lkely. Thanks for everythin paul but its time for a change. Who? Give someone a chance to freshen ot up keep the players on their toes. Before i get slagged for my comment its only my opinion.

Why not? I cannot see for the life of me who could have done any better over the last three seasons? If there is a manager change at the end of the season then so be it but changing managers now will just be worse than ever. I am not his biggest fan but he has spent no money, and has got us to a final without half the squad being fit, in my opinion he has over achieved given the limited resources he has had. I am utterly frustrated like everyone else but Like him or loath him I would rather have him here than a young manager who has not had any experience of the financial restraints in div 2 football.

Could not agree more. In my book, Paul Sturrock will go down as one of the most important SUFC Managers of all time.
Can't remember the Club being in a more dire situation off the field, than it has been the last 4 years. With almost nothing he has kept us in the hunt. The right man for us at this critical time. Look what's happened at York or even Wolves for that matter. With PS in charge, we will always have a chance of being successful. Make a change, and it could all go "pear shaped"

Exactly, I'm not with the "Sturrock is a crap manager and should go" bunch but think that the time has come for change. Thank you Sturrock for steering us away from trouble and nearly getting us promotion. We can't stick with him because we are scared of change.

No me neither.

At times Ive not enjoyed the style he played but he has adapted at times and I have a lot of respect for what he did last year and was unlucky not to get us up.

However this year he hasnt produced the goods. Yes we had injuries and embargos at times, but even so the last 3 games we should still have got results, we didnt.

He should stay till the end of the season, and if he does turn it around then all will be forgiven, but there is no realistic chance of that happening now so we should part company in the summer, which Im pretty sure is going to happen.

Its a shame but we need a change.

How do you know another manager wouldnt have done so well? Perhaps another manager wouldnt have wasted a 3 year contract on Neil Harris, signed John Spicer, thought Anthony Straker was worth paying money for. We had an exceptional season last season and Luggy has brought in some good players but so has every manager in this division. This season, bar the JPT, has been awful. We have beaten NONE of the bottom 6 at home.

We cant keep living in the past with what sturrock has done the fact is this season has not been good enough yes we have wembley coming but our main aim is promotion and its not lookin lkely. Thanks for everythin paul but its time for a change. Who? Give someone a chance to freshen ot up keep the players on their toes. Before i get slagged for my comment its only my opinion.

Surely that's what people did with Tilson and are doing with Eastwood. Why can't we do it with Sturrock.

2 relegations in 2 years yet people wanted Tilson to stay. Eastwood isn't the player he was yet fans cheer when he passes water

The mistakes been made before. Lets move on with a new man with new ideas and boost the club im not sayin its not a risk but i believe its what we need. My opinion.

Surely that's what people did with Tilson and are doing with Eastwood. Why can't we do it with Sturrock.

2 relegations in 2 years yet people wanted Tilson to stay. Eastwood isn't the player he was yet fans cheer when he passes water

I hope he puts the seat up then because if his aim is anything like his shooting last night...

I hope he puts the seat up then because if his aim is anything like his shooting last night...

That is a good point. In the first half last night, Eastwood had a lash at the ball that went high and wide and loads of fans cheered. Britt did the same less than a minute later and he was booed and slagged off.....ridiculous

Luggy won't be here next season whether we are promoted or not.

As for signing Spicer, he had no choice and was a panic signing as he had based his plans for the season on the basis that Brian Howard was being signed, only to be told that we couldn't afford it literally the week before the season started.

Other than Timlin we had no other experienced midfielders at that stage.

How do you know another manager wouldnt have done so well?
You are right ...I don't. How do you know that if another manager not so experienced had taken over nearly three seasons ago we would not being playing in the conference? The facts are from were we where and were we are now we are still competing in league football. I am not a luggy fan and have repeated this but total and utter frustration in how the team as performed since christmas have left fans calling for his head and personally for me it wrong. I would love us to play fantastic football 15 points clear and winning the league at a canter but I am a realist! People hark on about not beating the bottom teams but stats point to these over the last few seasons as being the hardest games as teams are scrapping for draws and any points they can get because it takes so long to get back (luton). We did the same when tilly took over!

Why is everyone so scared of lossing Sturrock.

He has a tough job as any manager at a L2 club is going to do. I dont imagine anyone is flush with cash at this level with the possible exception of Fleetwood.

If we get someone else in the worst case scenario is we come bottom two (one in twelve chance) which seems unlikely given the squad we have, the best is we get promoted (one is six chance) and everything else is ulitmately irreleveant if we dont go up or down.

Sturrock has got 24 points from 20 home games this season, we are not going up again, we have got worse than last season, we have an appauling record against the poor side and his constant lack of flair when picking his home formations and when making signings has cost us time and time again. Dagenham, Barnet and Torquay are more of a force at home than we are to give it some perspective.

All clubs have injurys. Ron has backed PS in the loan market as far as I can see. We have had Tam. Mayor and Laverty from the Championship, Lund and Reeves from the Prem and Laird from L1 and that is just who I can recall. None of which are the signs of a poorly backed manager.

His signings since last Jan have been one the whole awful. Last Jan we got Dave Martin (waste of time), Benyon (waste of time), Baldwin (two games maybe) and Freddy (refuses to play). We paid money for Straker who I largely dont mind but I dont think is worth a penny of the fee we paid for him. We have just picked up Spillane who for the life of me I cannot rate even remotely. Harris sits on the bench week in week out despite being the highest paid player. At one point we had a midfield crisis as we didnt have enough central players whilst we had Freddy, Harris, Corr and Benyon on the bench. Spicer despite playing the vast majority of his career at Championship or above barely gets a look in which is probably fair given what he has done on the pitch but again terrible signing. Why do we only have one actual winger (Hurst) in the entire club yet we have two maybe three left backs.

The jury is still out on Smith for a lot of people meaning his only decent signings have been Cresswell, Hurst and Tomlin since the intial burst of players in season 1. The injury situation has been a shame but a few of the players ended up here in the first place as they had bad injury records (Phillips,Corr and Tomlin).

We are 8th and the season is basically over given the form we are in. For me it has been over since Rotherham at home probably as its clear we are not in form. What are you so scared of getting someone else in for?

I will be forever grateful to PS for the first season where we worked wonders, I think last year he started well but he failed to stop the end of season slide and poor tactics in the play offs cost us ulitmately and this season has never really got going with any momentum. Wembley has glossed over what has been a lost season really with very little to cheer at home. The worst thing for me is we are continually out fought by away teams. On paper we should be ****ing sides like AFC Wimbledon and Plymouth yet that wanted it 10x more than us.

I wll always look on him as a good guy that did his best. The away form has been a real blessing but I think he has failed time and time again to realise that you need to play different tactics at Roots Hall to that of an away game. For me he has lost the ability to motivate the players, he has lost a good number of the fans and I think its time for a change. Sorry to him as good guy but just reached the end of his time here.

Last edited:
I would still like Sturrock to stay but i cannot see it happening. I am upset by the way Straker has turned out, i was really hopign he would do well but from his lack of form and pressure from the fans hasnt helped the same as Smith really. I wonder if we diddnt get to the final of teh JPT would we be in this position or would we be in a promotion spot? I still think we can sneak into a final spot but it would take a miracle. we need to win pretty much all of our games and others above to lose. Does not sound realistic but i support the blues til the very end no matter how bad they play. Come on Blues we know you can do it. I will remain positive til the very end. UTB!

Be careful what you wish for.

We have not changed managers at the end of the season very often, even less if we have not been relegated. With the exception of Bobby Moore quitting and SUFC winning promotion the next year, we have not (since 1970) finshed higher the season after changing managers at the end of the season

SUFC Managerial Changes at the end of a season
Tilly Relegated then Sacked...

Whelan May 97 (Championship)- Relegated then Sacked - Next season Relegated again

Thomson May 95 (Championship)- Finished the season in 13th but left to go to Notts county - next season Finished 14th

Webb (2nd spell) May 92(Championship)- Got us top of teir 2 then put his notice in Left athe end of the season when we were 12th - next season finished 18th after Fry saved us from Murphy...

Moore 86 - League 2 Finished 9th and quit - Dave Webb was appointed

Dave Smith 83 League 1 - Finished 15th Sacked - Replaced by Morris , then Moore and Relegated the next season

Arthur Rowley 76 Sacked after Relegation from League 1 - Appointed Dave Smith Next season 10th

In addition Paul Clark was Caretaker in 87 and was not given the full time job at the end of the season despite getting promotion his replacement .....DICK BATE

Back