• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought the same as well

Perhaps it's early warning of his intention to retire? There again he's only 57 and in an article back in 2010 he was determined not to let his illness interfere with his career........you don't think three years at Southend could have changed his ideas? :omg:

His Wikipedia entry still reads:-
He has been widely praised for his job at Southend United, bringing the best out of players on a very low playing budget and with a minimal coaching team.

:hilarious:

Thriving how exactly? We have so little money that we have scraped the barrel so much it hasn't got a bottom anymore!

If you really think that this is where people want to be then you must be deluded.

I might be stooooooooooooopid but I do not believe that anyone can seriously believe the club is broke .... it is sitting on the most coveted piece of retail acreage in the south east of England .... WTF do you think RM is still around -

it is a GOLDMINE ....

there now follows a list of clubs with smaller support bases that SUFC who have developed with AMBITION -

Wigan
Swansea
Reading

oh I am so grateful for RM and PS for "saving" my club .....

as John Lydon said "ever had the feeling you've been mugged"

I might be stooooooooooooopid but I do not believe that anyone can seriously believe the club is broke .... it is sitting on the most coveted piece of retail acreage in the south east of England .... WTF do you think RM is still around -

it is a GOLDMINE ....

there now follows a list of clubs with smaller support bases that SUFC who have developed with AMBITION -

Wigan
Swansea
Reading

You're not wrong - the problem is its still a gold mine when we need hard cash. And we can't afford the mining equipment to get it out of the ground.

It took us 7 seasons to get promoted from this division the last stint we was here, I personally don't agree with the nature of sacking managers, happens all to often now days. Sturrock knows his stuff and has done very well since he has been here.

Injuries, suspensions and off the field incidents have plagued our season, I don't get how Sturrock could have done any better? Okay there have been a few signings that haven't worked out, but at least he hasn't wasted (much) money on tripe like Tilson did.

If Ron is sensible he will stick with Sturrock. We have got to Wembley this season and unfortunately dropped out of the playoff race mostly due to home performances, injuries and suspensions. Hardly the worst season Southend united have ever had is it?

It took us 7 seasons to get promoted from this division the last stint we was here, I personally don't agree with the nature of sacking managers, happens all to often now days. Sturrock knows his stuff and has done very well since he has been here.

Injuries, suspensions and off the field incidents have plagued our season, I don't get how Sturrock could have done any better? Okay there have been a few signings that haven't worked out, but at least he hasn't wasted (much) money on tripe like Tilson did.

If Ron is sensible he will stick with Sturrock. We have got to Wembley this season and unfortunately dropped out of the playoff race mostly due to home performances, injuries and suspensions. Hardly the worst season Southend united have ever had is it?

Steve Tilsons transfer dealings yielded a net profit for the club, Hooper, Eastwood and Barnard for example brought in more money in transfers than what was paid out.. Its so sad that Tilly seems to still get flack on here but Sturrock is untouchable as far as criticsm is concerned.

Steve Tilsons transfer dealings yielded a net profit for the club Ron Martin's pocket, Hooper, Eastwood and Barnard for example brought in more money in transfers than what was paid out.. Its so sad that Tilly seems to still get flack on here but Sturrock is untouchable as far as criticsm is concerned.

Edited for accuracy

Steve Tilsons transfer dealings yielded a net profit for the club, Hooper, Eastwood and Barnard for example brought in more money in transfers than what was paid out.. Its so sad that Tilly seems to still get flack on here but Sturrock is untouchable as far as criticsm is concerned.

Steve Tilson is a true clubman and IMO was treated in a shocking manner by those who run the show.

it is a GOLDMINE ....

Wigan
Swansea
Reading

Unfortunately the club doesn't own the land it is sitting on.

Maybe you should take a look at the club's accounts?

Steve Tilsons transfer dealings yielded a net profit for the club, Hooper, Eastwood and Barnard for example brought in more money in transfers than what was paid out IN TRANSFER FEES.. Its so sad that Tilly seems to still get flack on here but Sturrock is untouchable as far as criticsm is concerned.

Overall the club ran at a loss.

Think you are right and echo the opinion of most fans (however old they are). It's easy to buy into the hysteria of "footie world" However, I would give him another year with the mandate that he must get us up next season.

Changing manager now or at the end of the season will be to risky. Bradford & Luton were in the Premiership and have been below us for sometime. I would venture that they are bigger clubs than us. If there is one thing I've learnt about being a Shrimpers fan, it's that the good times will be back again in the future.

Add Bailey to that list

Would like to see PS stay but i feel due to his health he will go at the end of the season or he will step down as manager and enter into a director of football or advisory role for Coughlan

Okay maybe looking back I unnecessarily brought Tilson into this...Tilson is by far the best manager we have had (in my time as a shrimper)...Don't think Sturrock is too far behind him in terms of quality, maybe he hasn't had the luck at times that Tilson did. Thinking about it they both had a very similar first two seasons in charge...saviour from possible relegation/low league position...followed by 4th placed finishes. Sturrock has delivered Wembley where as Steve delivered the millenium stadium twice.

As for the Tilson transfers, I do sometimes forget about net profit, I just remember the amount of strikers he got through.

Last edited:
Would like to see PS stay but i feel due to his health he will go at the end of the season or he will step down as manager and enter into a director of football or advisory role for Coughlan

If he leaves it will be nothing to do with his health.

As for director of football, we will not pay for someone to fill that position.

As for Coughlan, er no thanks. Why do so many people say he should get the job, he is here now and we are pretty woeful. Why would he turn anything around ?

Back