• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sturrock: Misses are killing us

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock was again left pointing the finger at his team’s poor finishing following their disappointing 1-0 defeat to Burton Albion.

More...

I personnally cant remember all these misses he thinks we are having certainly not at crawley or at home to Burton? I remember 1 Header taht Harris had, and that was on target......

I personnally cant remember all these misses he thinks we are having certainly not at crawley or at home to Burton? I remember 1 Header taht Harris had, and that was on target......

....and the shot Hall had from distance which their keep pushed over the bar, that was about it.

....and the shot Hall had from distance which their keep pushed over the bar, that was about it.

And Mohsni's from 3 yards on the volley when it was harder to miss (tbf, think defender got a touch).

But thats 2 efforts inside the 6 yard box, Ferdinands free header from a fk and halls dipping shot. You've got to expect to score at least 1 from that - I can see PS's frustration in that respect.

“It’s costing us dear and I’m very, very disappointed about the result because I’m having to fight with people’s mentality towards the game right now."

Lost the dressing room for sure is my verdict.

“It’s costing us dear and I’m very, very disappointed about the result because I’m having to fight with people’s mentality towards the game right now."

Yeah thats kinda the conclusion I drew after hearing those comments. Sounds like the players have concerns about the style of play and raised this at half time. Which is why Sturrock switched us to 4-3-3 which he said was more successful. Either way this will come to a head in the next few weeks with either Sturrock accepting that his preferred style isn't going to work or some players kicking off and venting their anger at the manager.

From what I know of Paul Sturrock now I'm hopeful he is prepared to change things round when things aren't working and hopefully Barry Corr will be back sooner rather than later.

We are not just talking about missing the odd half chance. Harris was a clear header from 5-6 yards out and straight at keeper, anywhere else its a goal. Mohsni was 3 yards out with a volley. You have to score them both, at the worst one of them. To lose 1-0 and miss those 2 chances would hurt any team. Against Crawley Dicko had a header from 6 yards and that was straight at the keeper. Harris was put through v Crawley and he turned and scuffed from end of box rather than taking it upto the keeper. Other teams are taking much harder chances as they look more composed and aren't snatching at everything. We have to start taking the simple chances and also the odd half chance.

We are not just talking about missing the odd half chance. Harris was a clear header from 5-6 yards out and straight at keeper, anywhere else its a goal. Mohsni was 3 yards out with a volley. You have to score them both, at the worst one of them. To lose 1-0 and miss those 2 chances would hurt any team. Against Crawley Dicko had a header from 6 yards and that was straight at the keeper. Harris was put through v Crawley and he turned and scuffed from end of box rather than taking it upto the keeper. Other teams are taking much harder chances as they look more composed and aren't snatching at everything. We have to start taking the simple chances and also the odd half chance.

It swings both ways. On the basis of if they took their chances Hereford or Accrington should of never lost to us!

It swings both ways. On the basis of if they took their chances Hereford or Accrington should of never lost to us!

Really? I can't remember these chances, just re-watching the highlights and it doesn't show any blatent chances on the highlights. Shows a couple more 6 yarders from Harris though.

Really? I can't remember these chances, just re-watching the highlights and it doesn't show any blatent chances on the highlights. Shows a couple more 6 yarders from Harris though.

Morris made a handful of good saves against Hereford. Accy hit the bar + had more shots on goals etc

Sturrock: Misses are killing us

They've been bleeding me dry for years :'(

Morris made a handful of good saves against Hereford. Accy hit the bar + had more shots on goals etc

Very true, we were somewhat fortunate to have 6 pts from those 2 games and maybe unlucky not to get anything sat. So I can see where people are coming from with the swings and roundabouts. However, to keep missing absolute sitters is going to drain the confidence from any team. We're talking about missing from 6 yards, it kicks one team in the teeth and gives the other a lift in the same way missing a penalty would.

You wouldn't mind if the oposition keepers were pulling off save after save either but most of our chances are not even working their keeper.

You wouldn't mind if the oposition keepers were pulling off save after save either but most of our chances are not even working their keeper.

Like Harris' header from 3 yards Saturday that the keeper saved, the spectacular diving save to tip Halls effort over the bar or the plunge to stop Ferdinands header?

Yea.... see what you mean! :winking:

I find that statement from PS cause for concern. We'd won the opening two games, drawn over two hours with a team from a higher division and then came Crawley. I know how bad it was and the way we collapsed after the first goal was poor, but was that the reason alone for the flat display sat?
We, as fans, are down about results, Sturrock, squad, etc. The players seem low and Sturrock's talking about "having to fight with peoples mentality" and all this has come from the last two games!
Something doesn't seem right within the club and all the pre-season (and early season) optimism has gone so soon into the new campaign. I find it very worrying at the moment...

I find that statement from PS cause for concern. We'd won the opening two games, drawn over two hours with a team from a higher division and then came Crawley. I know how bad it was and the way we collapsed after the first goal was poor, but was that the reason alone for the flat display sat?
We, as fans, are down about results, Sturrock, squad, etc. The players seem low and Sturrock's talking about "having to fight with peoples mentality" and all this has come from the last two games!
Something doesn't seem right within the club and all the pre-season (and early season) optimism has gone so soon into the new campaign. I find it very worrying at the moment...

Lets hope its nothing to do with the payment of bonuses

Like Harris' header from 3 yards Saturday that the keeper saved, the spectacular diving save to tip Halls effort over the bar or the plunge to stop Ferdinands header?

Harris header was straight at the keeper he couldn't of got out the way if he tried. Ferdinand, well that save is hardly worth talking about I could of saved that. I was in line with Hall's shot it was straight at him, in true one for the cameras style the keeper made it look spectacular.

Do you mean the back pass from Harris from 3 yards? I don't think he needed to move his hands to save it.

I didn't say all of them were off target but most of them have been.

I smell a rat. I suspect Sturrock is setting the scene for the return of the free scoring Blair. Hope i'm wrong but don't expect to be.

Back