• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Apparently it was Mr Brent , the man trying to buy Plymouth, who instructed Peter Ridsdale to sack Peter Reid.

This I was told by a relative who lives in Devon.

Now just been on the footie rumours site and there is a posting of this happening and have assurances this wasn't written by my Cousin.

Brent is trying to steady things off the pitch.

What are the chances of him attempting to entice Paul Sturrock back to the Club?

I for one believe there's not a cat in hells chance but being his old club and Sturrock himself admitting to still having affection for the place it does make you wonder. Especially as he also has expoerience of being Upstairs at Home Park.

Not impossible I suppose, I'd like to think he will see his contract out here. He still lives in Devon, and his family are there, so never say never.

I for one would be disappointed if he left, as i feel we gave him a chance when he was maybe not fit enough to be considered for other positions.

Would have thought he would want to stay and finish the job he has started. Plymouth would be a huge task for anyone in their current form.

Please please let this be true as he is one of the reasonsThe crowds are down his style of football takes us right back to the days of alvin martin alan littleAnd wignall. We spent 7 long years in the wildernessBefore tilly took us to the sucess we had. Remember players likeDavid morley. Trefor fitspatrick some of the current squad are as bad as themJourneyman players with manager whose time is up

Please please let this be true as he is one of the reasonsThe crowds are down his style of football takes us right back to the days of alvin martin alan littleAnd wignall. We spent 7 long years in the wildernessBefore tilly took us to the sucess we had. Remember players likeDavid morley. Trefor fitspatrick some of the current squad are as bad as themJourneyman players with manager whose time is up
Birdseye 2, why do you support the club? You never have a positive thing to say about anything, Sturrock might not be the best manager ever, but he is far more able to change the tactics midway through a match if things aren't working than Tilly ever could. The fact we are skint and yet somehow have a manager with a good track record willing to work with us is amazing. Hopefully the rumour is false because I can't see Ron convincing a better manager to come here right now

I have visited the Plymouth forum and one or two have mentioned Graham Coughlan as a candidate.

To be honest, delighted as I was at our 3 points, I really feel for Plymouth at the moment. Peter Reid is a good manager, and has been made a scapegoat by an inadequate owner, in much the same was that Tilly 'n' Brush were Martin's scapegoats here a couple of years ago. If, as has been widely reported, their players havent been paid for months and they cant bring anyone in, so its not difficult to work out why they have failed to win a record no of games on the spin! The same happened with us after Brush was sacked and we dropped out of league 1 like a large boulder!! I heard a rumour ( no idea of the source, so dont quote me) that Reid was personally subsidising the players to help them pay their mortgages etc. If this is true, then Ridsdale should be holding his head in shame, walking away and promising to NEVER go near a football club again.

On the other side of this, Sturrock has often said he loves a challenge, but he still has a big one here... I cant see him walking just yet! I hope not, at least... despite the remaining difficulties, he has done an amazing job here so far!!

One of the most ridiculous posts I have read - yes the style is not great but we need stability off and on the pitch - out of interest who would you replace Luggy with ??

Peter Reid apparently sold his FA Cup winners medal to pay some of the staff. Peter Risdale is a clown and has ruined virtually every football club he comes into contact with.
No way will Luggy go there, I think he knows he has a great set of players here and wants to finish the job. Yes talk is cheap but I firmly believe he wants to get us promoted and kick on from then. Plymouth are a sinking ship and I imagine they will ask one of the players to be player-manager possibly Carl Fletcher.

Yea I suggested fletcher to my mate today. See them 'doing a bournemouth'.

No way in hell would luggy go there in their current plight. Any manager would be mental to do so.

Funnily enough this was the first thought that passed my mind earlier today when I read the news that Reid had been sacked this morning. The timing of it really is what I found most intriguing as well as I guess the similarities with both club's recent financial plight -and just wondered if there might have been some tentative enquiries made or at least a few hypothetical thoughts shared by Ridsdale to PS following yesterday's game over a glass of wine? Maybe just an overactive imagination at work but stranger things have happened before - remember Paul Lambert taking over at Norwich a day or two after his team had just beaten them 7-0 in the first game of the season (in hindsight that turned out to be a pretty shrewd move on Delia's part). I don't claim to know the mind of PS .... but could quite imagine if new owners came in and offered PS his old job back in Devon, importantly closer to home with a club with greater potential and one that he had shared great success with in the past, together with assurances about money for players, staff getting paid etc he would be down the M4 like a shot - and no doubt taking his son with him. And if so who in all honesty could really blame him?

Re-visited a Plymouth forum and many are saying they would like the following:

Director of football P.Sturrock
Team Manager G. Coughlan
Support Coach Fletcher

Not one to be a pessimist but can't help agreeing with what Brett Angle said. The timing of it etc. And also another move upstairs will probable ease the pressure on Paul Sturrock's health.

I'd be really surprised if Sturrock went back there at this time. He's finally got what he wanted going on here and however much he has a soft spot for Plymouth, I really think he'd want to see the job through here.
One of the most ridiculous posts I have read - yes the style is not great but we need stability off and on the pitch - out of interest who would you replace Luggy with ??
Do you really need to ask that? He'd have his "uncle" Steve back of course!

If I remember rightly Sturrock said it was his biggest mistake going back to Plymouth.However as a package with Coughlan could be tempted.Just hope Fossetts kicks off ,and we start moving up like Brighton did when building started .Sure the future with us would then rule these rumours out.

Perhaps he might not want to leave if the fans got behind him 100%
I find it staggering that there is a reasonable percentage of fans on this site who think it would be better for us if he left.

Madness

To be honest, delighted as I was at our 3 points, I really feel for Plymouth at the moment. Peter Reid is a good manager, and has been made a scapegoat by an inadequate owner, in much the same was that Tilly 'n' Brush were Martin's scapegoats here a couple of years ago. If, as has been widely reported, their players havent been paid for months and they cant bring anyone in, so its not difficult to work out why they have failed to win a record no of games on the spin! The same happened with us after Brush was sacked and we dropped out of league 1 like a large boulder!! I heard a rumour ( no idea of the source, so dont quote me) that Reid was personally subsidising the players to help them pay their mortgages etc. If this is true, then Ridsdale should be holding his head in shame, walking away and promising to NEVER go near a football club again.

On the other side of this, Sturrock has often said he loves a challenge, but he still has a big one here... I cant see him walking just yet! I hope not, at least... despite the remaining difficulties, he has done an amazing job here so far!!

Are you having a laugh?

I find it staggering that there is a reasonable percentage of fans on this site who think it would be better for us if he left.

Madness

i dont think there is a 'reasonable ' percentage, just a small number who shout very loudly ,stating their opinions as facts

Carl Fletcher has been appointed caretaker manager at Plymouth and if succesful, is expected to be appointed in the full-time role.

Madness

Bit of a contradiction that, doesn't that tell you something if it's not just a few like me who don't rate him ?

Back