• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Haven't met and don't need to. PB is egotistical, we all know that, its, clear from how he is.

As for thinking Sturrock is a better manager, just my opinion

Come on Dave your sounding a bit silly ​now.

Luggy could barely string a paragraph together with a microphone under his nose, Phil would knock off half a dozen Presley songs given the chance

Actually i think the goal stats are quite interesting if accurate ( thanks Mrs B for that ) 34 more goals under Luggy is significantly more and neither did he play lump it forward all the time. However the 34 extra goals dont equate to extra points as their records are virtually similar in this respect. It depends in part whether you would prefer the more goals excitement for the same end result points wise?

Actually i think the goal stats are quite interesting if accurate ( thanks Mrs B for that ) 34 more goals under Luggy is significantly more and neither did he play lump it forward all the time. However the 34 extra goals dont equate to extra points as their records are virtually similar in this respect. It depends in part whether you would prefer the more goals excitement for the same end result points wise?

The only thing that counts in L2 is promotion. The vast majority of us get that.

Come on Dave your sounding a bit silly now.

Don't patronize me or talk down to me. Who the hell do you think you are? It is very clear from the way PB conducts himself that its all about him. That was never the case with Sturrock. Sturrock is a much more likeable and respected person than PB will ever be. Having a half time team talk on the pitch at Hull was pathetic. His 'I'm going to make changes' then doesn't make any is pathetic. His 1-0 ideology is pathetic. Have no real time for the man if I'm honest.

Come on Dave your sounding a bit silly ​now.

Don't patronize me or talk down to me. Who the hell do you think you are? It is very clear from the way PB conducts himself that its all about him. That was never the case with Sturrock. Sturrock is a much more likeable and respected person than PB will ever be. Having a half time team talk on the pitch at Hull was pathetic. His 'I'm going to make changes' then doesn't make any is pathetic. His 1-0 ideology is pathetic. Have no real time for the man if I'm honest.

Ok, let's keep it as civil as possible please.

Not clear to me at all, I'm afraid.
It shows to me that he is comfortable in his own skin and clear on his direction. A definite plus in the occupation he works in.

I have met PB on a few occasions and he was first class, took time to talk to my boy pre match last season picture etc driven individual. I'm also lucky to know a couple of players and they like playing for him too.

I have met PB on a few occasions and he was first class, took time to talk to my boy pre match last season picture etc driven individual. I'm also lucky to know a couple of players and they like playing for him too.

That's good and I'm glad he took the time to do this. Good memories to have. Hopefully these memories won't be tainted when Brown jumps ship to Bolton/Villa/Insert name here

I met PB away from football a few years back, when he had not long arrived. His wife and daughter were their amongst others so I had no intention of mentioning SUFC. When PB found out I was a fan, he was the one who started asking me questions. We ended up having a drink and he asked me lots of questions about the town its future and our supporters.

We were at a venue that he was intending to use for extra afternoon training for the players and he told me that he had already spent money upgrading Boots and Laces etc. He came across as very professional and determined to do his best for our club. He certainly did not come across as big time Charlie and was happy to talk about his days at Halifax and having to work as a Sparks in the afternoons.

A few weeks back I asked him if he could get Adam Barrett to sign a shirt as we were planning a surprise for Paul 'Herman' Kelsey for his achievement of 1000 consecutive home games . Paul was in the Centre Circle Lounge last week having a meal and PB and AB appeared at about 1:30 and made the surprise presentation of the framed shirt. They both posed for the obvious photos and Adam was able to stay a bit longer for a chat. It would have been easy to say no as it was during the pre-match build up.

That's all a side show anyway. I don't care what he done at Hull or how he chooses to dress. I don't look at all the pointless Echo interviews and then twist them to suit my own agenda. What I do care about is whether our club is going in the right direction. The answer is YES. If you factor in our limited income then we are doing a lot better than I expected when Sturrock started with about ten unpaid players.

Last edited:
I met PB away from football a few years back, when he had not long arrived. His wife and daughter were their amongst others so I had no intention of mentioning SUFC. When PB found out I was a fan, he was the one who started asking me questions. We ended up having a drink and he asked me lots of questions about the town its future and our supporters.

We were at a venue that he was intending to use for extra afternoon training for the players and he told me that he had already spent money upgrading Boots and Laces etc. He came across as very professional and determined to his best for our club. He certainly did not come across as big time Charlie and was happy to talk about his days at Halifax and having to work as a Sparks in the afternoons.

A few weeks back I asked him if he could get Adam Barrett to sign a shirt as we were planning a surprise for Paul 'Herman' Kelsey for his achievement of 1000 consecutive home games . Paul was in the Centre Circle Lounge last week having a meal and PB and AB appeared at about 1:30 and made the surprise presentation of the framed shirt. They both posed for the obvious photos and Adam was able to stay a bit longer for a chat. It would have been easy to say no as it was during the pre-match build up.

That's all a side show anyway. I don't care what he done at Hull or how he chooses to dress. I don't look at all the pointless Echo interviews and then twist them to suit my own agenda. What I do care about is whether our club is going in the right direction. The answer is YES. If you factor in our limited income then we are doing a lot better than I expected when Sturrock started with about ten unpaid players.

Thanks, a much better thought reply. I appreciate you have your opinion and that PB takes the time to do these things is good.

There are a lot of pointless interviews in the Echo but the ones where PB says he will be making changes etc etc are ridiculous. We all know that there won't be changes. Being on sports shows and talking abut Bolton etc only stirs the flames of gossip. None of this needs to happen, and that's what I don't like

Haven't met and don't need to. PB is egotistical, we all know that, its, clear from how he is.

As for thinking Sturrock is a better manager, just my opinion

I never met Paul Sturrock so I would not pass comment on another persons character without meeting them. I would also not assume that everyone shares my opinion on someone.

I did though meet Phil Brown last season when we won an opportunity to watch a training session and have lunch with the players via the Blues Lottery. There were 3 groups on the day and PB was an excellent host taking time to explain the training session before it started and hosting our table throughout the lunch.

I took my 7 year old nephew with me and PB was very good with him; getting a team sheet (which the players later signed) and asking him to pick the team for the next game which he then pinned on the wall in his office.

I found Phil Brown to be very approachable and on the day went far beyond what was required of him.

Ultimately though what really matters is what they achieve on the pitch and as such I think they have both done excellent jobs.

Sturrock was particularly good in in his first year and was the right man for that job although I did feel that after missing out on promotion the following year we were going backwards in his 3rd year and a change of management was the right call (albeit it should have been after the JPT final).

Under Phil Brown we have achieved promotion and security in a higher league so to date he has met all his targets and the club is in a far stronger position than when he took over. He has also helped to raise the profile of Southend United.

Both have given us highs and lows and you can choose any stat to meet your own agenda ie some may quote Brown gave us the longest ever run of not winning a game, but he also brought us the longest run of not conceeding.

Someone mentioend earlier the income from we received from Sturrocks players, but then this can be offset vs income from promotion . I dont know how both did league wish respective to their budgets. but at the end of the day who cares, they have both given us highs and lows. Sturrock undoubedly saved us when he joined, and took us to our first final at Wembley (sorry Phil but I can never forgive you for the line up on that day) . Phil took us back to Wembley and this time we won !

As an aside - what would be the best team - Brown's best 11 (no idea what that is) vs Sturrocks best 11 (no idea what position the made frenchman would play- but he would have to be inclued). Today we have the excitement when Payne gets the ball, with Sturrock we had Moshni, Britt vs Corr Hurst vs Worrall etc etc

Last edited:
Thanks, a much better thought reply. I appreciate you have your opinion and that PB takes the time to do these things is good.

There are a lot of pointless interviews in the Echo but the ones where PB says he will be making changes etc etc are ridiculous. We all know that there won't be changes. Being on sports shows and talking abut Bolton etc only stirs the flames of gossip. None of this needs to happen, and that's what I don't like

All the gossip has come from fans not him. Of course he has a fondness for Bolton, their the club that changed his life and he played in winning teams for them against Liverpool and Arsenal. His daughter still goes to school in Bolton.

But that show asked him a loaded question. Suppose Adam Barrett is doing ok managing another club in ten years time and someone asks him whether he would be interested in the vacant Southend job. What sort of answer would anyone expect...No their an absolute shambles in dire financial trouble and I wont touch them with a barge pole.

Strange how its the people who have wanted him out for three years are now the ones demanding some commitment every time he has an interview. Even if he did we all know how flaky football is, so it would mean nothing anyway.

I think it's close, probably would go for Sturrock for what he had to inherit in summer 2010 (was it 5 contracted players?) He performed miracles to get us mid table that season, I think a lot of other managers would not have been able to deal with the situation and would have taken us down to the Conference, then who knows what.

Brown on the other hand took us to League 1 in the most dramatic fashion (will never forget that day), set club records for consecutive wins and consecutive clean sheets, attracted signings who claim Brown was a big reason why they joined, and has taken us to mid table in our first season back in league 1 for quite a few seasons, which I'm sure most of us would have taken at the start of the season.

I think both have been good managers for us, and for people to heavily weight towards one or the other is, in my opinion, misguided and bias.

We live in an age of 24hr media. Someone stuffs a microphone in his face and he has to say something, and that something will be picked up by the squad. If we lose, do you blame them? Then how do they react? Some people respond by upping their game and "pulling up trees", other retreat into their shells. Man management, and dealing with the media, is extremely difficult.

For me Brown is a vast improvement on "lump it up to the big man" Sturrock. Ok, thanks for saving us from vanishing and getting to Wembley, but I wasn't sorry to see him go, however I could say the same about Phil.
His considered reactions "there will be changes" "players will be coming in".
My comments related to the words of the managers not the playing styles.
I was sorry to see PS go and particularly in the way he was replaced by Brown.
Shook his hand at the Green Man and he is a real gentleman. PB is personable but has too much to say and could learn much from PS.:happy:

I'm always surprised how personal it gets and it backs up my opinion that some people just don't like a person for whatever reason and will use the stats/dramas/results to suit.

For me, Ron Martin has always had a pretty good eye for the right person at the right time. Difficult to see how anyone could have done a better job for us at the time than Paul Sturrock. It wasn't pretty at times, but that man saved this club from potential disaster. And whichever way you spin it, how he didn't take us up will always be a close run thing.

Same thing for Phil. He picked up Sturrock's great work and pushed us on. He achieved promotion and got us out of that god-awful league, then stabilised us this season. Most of us (come on, be honest) would have taken this position at the beginning of the season. He's not perfect and some of the time it IS all about him, but some of the attempts to demonise him are just ludicrous.

PB is personable but has too much to say and could learn much from PS.
Both could definitely learn a bit from each other.

I'm always surprised how personal it gets and it backs up my opinion that some people just don't like a person for whatever reason and will use the stats/dramas/results to suit.

For me, Ron Martin has always had a pretty good eye for the right person at the right time. Difficult to see how anyone could have done a better job for us at the time than Paul Sturrock. It wasn't pretty at times, but that man saved this club from potential disaster. And whichever way you spin it, how he didn't take us up will always be a close run thing.

Same thing for Phil. He picked up Sturrock's great work and pushed us on. He achieved promotion and got us out of that god-awful league, then stabilised us this season. Most of us (come on, be honest) would have taken this position at the beginning of the season. He's not perfect and some of the time it IS all about him, but some of the attempts to demonise him are just ludicrous.

Both could definitely learn a bit from each other.

Post of the year sir.

I agree with many others on here, I am a fan of both of them, and think they both acheived alot and bought the club forward during there spells at the club.

Furthermore (if we add Tilly to the mix) Im extremely gratefull that we have enjoyed some fantastic success & having just 3 managers in the last 13 years, where as it seems most managers barely make it past the 13 month mark in these modern days of football.

UTB
:happy:

Back