• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
Not sure if this has been mentioned prior, but I have just noticed that Saturdays game against Walsall was Phil's 161st game in charge of Southend, which was the same amount of games Paul Sturrock was in charge for also. (according to Wikipedia).

The stats over both their reigns are almost exactly the same, (breakdown below) so who do you think was / is the better manager over their 161 games each? of course we could say Phil because he has managed us at a higher level or some could say Paul was considering what he achieved on a shoe string budget when he took over.

Paul Sturrock

Games = 161
Won = 67
Drawn = 43
Lost = 51
Win Ratio % = 41.6

Phil Brown

Games = 161
Won = 66
Drawn = 45
Lost = 50
Win Ratio % = 41.0

I believe Wikipedia includes all games including cup games, however just purely based on each match managed and that each win was 3 points and a draw 1 point etc, Paul Sturrock achieved 244 points during his time with us, whilst Phil was just a single point behind with 243 points after the equal 161 games in charge.

Thanks for these stats. It makes very interesting reading. Pros and Cons on both sides of the coin depending on whether you are a PB fan or not.

I'd be interested to see the thoughts of a non PB fan but one that was PS fan to hear their argument for and against.

I'm a PB fan but also had a lot of respect for what PS achieved on the budget that he had.

For me, Paul Sturrock will go down as one of the most important appointments ever in SUFC history. The right man at the right time. Inherited no real squad, with the club in a precarious, unstable situation. It's the only time in over 40 years of supporting the Blues, that I was genuinely concerned with us going out of the league. Disappointed again at how a good, decent, football man was treated in the end, misled over the Wembley Final and treated very unprofessionally.

MrsBlue would like to see the goals scored comparison.

I can confirm that neither Phil Brown or Paul Sturrock scored any goals for us during their 161 games each in charge.... all though im certain they have both scored some "Verbal Own Goals" during their tenure at roots hall.
:smile:

Sturrock's best season was his first for us in my opinion. He rebuilt us from nothing and proved the right appointment at the right time. Unfortunately he wasn't able to get promotion with a very strong squad the following year which, for me, was a failure on his part.

Brown's record is at a higher level so that has to be taken into account. He took us up, Sturrock didn't. Both have been successful in different ways, but its all about promotion and only one of these managers managed that.

Sturrock kept us in the league using his contacts and managerial experience. Met him once at a boots and laces lunch. Had a great chat with him, genuinely interested in talking to me and asked my thoughts on the squad. He is also a 100% top bloke and a man I have the utmost respect for. For me, that alone makes him a better person and manager than Brown, the most egotistical manager going. I don't really care who won what

I believe Wikipedia ............... includes all games including cup games, however just purely based on each match managed and that each win was 3 points and a draw 1 point etc, Paul Sturrock achieved 244 points during his time with us, whilst Phil was just a single point behind with 243 points after the equal 161 games in charge.

You are gullible and I claim my £55 ..............

Sturrock kept us in the league using his contacts and managerial experience. Met him once at a boots and laces lunch. Had a great chat with him, genuinely interested in talking to me and asked my thoughts on the squad. He is also a 100% top bloke and a man I have the utmost respect for. For me, that alone makes him a better person and manager than Brown, the most egotistical manager going. I don't really care who won what

Did he then do the opposite?

Sturrock's legacy IMO was more the transfer fees we received for Ryan Hall, Kane Ferdinand, Ryan Cresswell and the transfer fee we should receive for Dan Bentley. That gave Brown the financial stability to get us promoted at the third attempt. But getting to Wembley and the antics of Bilel Mohsni will also live long in the memory.

Sturrock all day long. Had to rebuild an entire squad and kept us up before unluckily losing in the play offs. Also got us to Wembley for the first time before PB f****d it up at Wembley. PB has had far greater resources to work with.

PS Promotion zero
PB promotion One
Of course there's a deeper view.
Sturrock's first season should rightly go down as one of vital importance for our beloved club. I believe we had 4 players signed on when he took over. He then built a side that survived in the league as well as laying some foundations for the future. Very unlucky not to get promoted in 2nd season. Third season just went so flat for various reasons. Lovely bloke yes but ultimately not the one to win us that promotion.
I'm a Phil Brown fan he bought a level of fitness and commitment into the club that served us so well, especially in league two, there were times when you could see we were simply stronger and fitter than other teams.
I don't see the need to say sturrock or brown, the simple fact is that both men contributed to us being in league one....which let's be honest is a load better than league two.

Paul Sturrock saved the club from dropping into the abyss,what he achieved in his first season was one big miracle,if we had dropped down then it was probably all over forever.

Paul 8
Phil 7

I would rather listen to PS with his insight before and after matches.
PB often appears to say stuff for the sake of it.

So When did you meet PB then ? Looks like its narrow minded and judgmental view that's clouding your opinion.

Back