• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Sturrock & Widdrington/Players...

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Latest from the transfer rumours site. Obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt...

15 Jul 2010 13:22:50
New Southend United management duo, Paul Sturrock and Tommy Widdrington, are to seek urgent talks with Chairman, Ron Martin, on his return from his Cypriot holiday to seek immediate, unequivocal and tangible evidential assurances that the finances at the football club are such that they will enable them to undertake their duties. If these assurances are not provided they will resign (neither have yet seen, let alone sign a contract).

The club remains under a transfer embargo untiol 2 August at the earliest. This, seemingly, will not guarantee that the club will have enough players (only 8 currently on the books – more of this later) to undertake its fixtures. The Football League is monitoring this situation closely, and is likely to seek similar assurances as those sought my Messrs. Sturrck and Widdrington. League expulsion is a very real spectre.

Now, onto the eight remaining players under contract. Two others have signed frankly worthless, at present, pre–contract agreements. At least five of the eight have given notice of their intention to resign from the club (as was the case with four others who have now moved on after having their contracts cancelled due to non–payment of wages). Teh five are Franck Moussa (tracked by Hull City, Bradford City, Walsall and Derby County); Francis Laurent (tracked by Brentford and Wycombe Wanderers); Jean–Francois Christophe (seeking a return to France); Matt Paterson (tracked by Charlton Athletic); and Johnny Herd (tracked by Rushden and Diamonds and Cambridge United).

Finally, many supporters are holding onto the hope that supermarket giant Sainsbury's will not wish to be associated with closing down a football club. This is harsh business and five minutes of negative publicity is a price worth paying for one of the largest supermarkets in Europe.

Last edited:
They wont need to resign if on 2nd August SUFC cant prove itself to be a viable business. They might aswell save wasting paper and ink in their biro.

It's not really a rumour, more like common sense. If we don't have the funds to bring in new players, and we're left with 8 pro's and a youth team, then of course they won't stick around. Sturrock has nothing to prove in terms of reputation, and I suspect he would not want to ruin the good one he has by staying here if he is unable to build any sort of team.

The flip side I expect is that should Sturrock walk, then Widdrington may then step up and become manager.... He would have little to lose and a lot to gain.

reads to me like an ex-school kid with nothing else better to do with his time before he starts his new career as a Government artist.

thats a fair reading of the situation - the shame is that in between the easily acheivable deal with Sainsburys is an idiot called RM - the covenant on Roots Hall is the trump card (along perhaps with council) -

we need an active and representaive supporters group to make sure our wishes (a competitive professional football league club) are not binned off by a chairman who is happy to trash a well supported 100 year old football club in his machinations -

i wonder how training is going this week ?

hmm, very 'glass half-empty' viewpoint? I'd say most unsettled players are being watched at this moment in time... which is basically our lot : - )

Probably the same guy who always posts SUFC rumours on there which are always untrue. Moose to Derby, players to score an own goal as a protest etc.

hmm, very 'glass half-empty' viewpoint? I'd say most unsettled players are being watched at this moment in time... which is basically our lot : - )

Yup they would be good free transfers for those clubs....

Hooded-Vultures-BINNS-IMG_3982-copy.jpg

Back to the carcass of a club!

That does just read like a disgruntled fan, who would want some more hearsay spread around the interweb......Unfortunately these stories rarely have any factual content in them

It's quite an in depth rumour.
Probably just a ****ed off fan or a knob fan on a wind up.
It all is possible though.
But you can tell from the way it is written it's just some bloke in a shed with a laptop, a bum bag and a Col U shirt on.

thats a fair reading of the situation - the shame is that in between the easily acheivable deal with Sainsburys is an idiot called RM - the covenant on Roots Hall is the trump card (along perhaps with council) -

we need an active and representaive supporters group to make sure our wishes (a competitive professional football league club) are not binned off by a chairman who is happy to trash a well supported 100 year old football club in his machinations -

i wonder how training is going this week ?

The Covenant is not worth the paper it is printed on.

I think anyone who had lurked on here for the past couple of weeks could've cobbled that together without having a clue who Southend United are .. i myself said that PS & TW will quit due to failed promises from RM

I stopped taking it seriously when I read the words "transfer rumours site". Like Smiffy says, pinch of salt (if not a bucket), made up by someone who's googled Southend United news.

Teh five are Franck Moussa (tracked by Hull City, Bradford City, Walsall and Derby County); Francis Laurent (tracked by Brentford and Wycombe Wanderers); Jean–Francois Christophe (seeking a return to France); Matt Paterson (tracked by Charlton Athletic); and Johnny Herd (tracked by Rushden and Diamonds and Cambridge United)

I reckon Osy wrote this.

The Covenant is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Not quite true. It wouldn't be worth anything if the football club was wound up or if we had a landlord who seriously wanted us to move on. But were it not for the covenant I think we'd be urgently looking for somewhere to groundshare for a couple of years right now.

Back